Quincy Jones: Not Attending Michael Jackson's Funeral

MJsAngelOfMusic

Premium Member
Donations
$73.00
The man who is largely credited with being the brains behind Michael Jackson's adult solo success has no plans to pay "The King of Pop" respect at his funeral.

"No, not at all, not at all," Quincy Jones replied when asked whether he was attending the memorial. His reason: "Because it's going to be, like, 9 million people there, and it's not what I want to see."
quincy-jones-michael-jackson-294mps070309.jpg
The 27-time Grammy Award-winning music producer, who tapped Jackson to star in the glitzy film adaption of the Broadway's musical 'The Wiz' in 1977, crafted his seminal 'Off the Wall' album and followed it up with the historical 'Thriller' set.

"It's surrealistic," Jones, 76, told Details magazine's Web site. "I don't know how to process it at all."

In the past, the 'Soul Bossa Nova' creator swore off funerals because too many of his close friends have passed on. But when it comes to Jackson's memorial, Jones is steering clear.

"My condolences and love I've already sent to the family," he aQuincy Jonesdded. "But being there with 10 million people is not my idea of a tribute to somebody you were so close to -- who's got a part of your soul. Our souls were joined, you know. And a piece of it goes with him."

According to published reports, a private family service will be held July 7 at Forest Lawn in Los Angeles. A motorcade will reportedly then go to the Staples Center complex in downtown Los Angeles, where the public memorial will be held.

Jackson died of an apparent cardiac arrest on June 25. He was 50.

What do you think of Quincy Jones' statements?
He's well within his right. 93% He is out of bounds. 7%

I'm already through with Quincy so he can do whatever he wants, it ain't like he be missed. - Not at least by me.

yeah but I can understand him for not wanting to go. I can't take funerals and I rather remember the person alive. Everyone has their own way of paying respects.. Quincy was irritating me for awhile but I believe he loved Mike.

I understand he won't go to the memorial but what about the funeral itself. He's not invited or what.

The man who is largely credited with being the brains behind Michael Jackson's adult solo success

The brains my arse......I don't know about yall, but I am sick and tired of people undermining the extent of Michael's talent, capacity and wit. They act as if Quincy was the end of it all for Michael. As if it wasn't Mike who wrote Billie Jean, put his own money for the Thriller video and the whole conceptualizing of music videos, thus singlehandedly creating an art form and helping in the process a tv station which would later humiliate him. Let's not forget that this is the man who would have had Smooth criminal cut from Bad, or do I have it wrong? I actually believe his producing skills, how he allegedly knows what songs should go on an album and in what order for it to flow are more myths than reality.

I, for one, am more than glad that his punk ass is staying put. I don't want his fake behind anywhere near the family. He is nothing but a fake, backstabbing, bitter man.

Some here were suggesting he should be the one arranging new releases from the vault, H TO NOOOOOO. That fool belongs nowhere near Michael's music.

I hope with time the real value of Michael's post-Bad work will be recognized and the proper legacy restored. In the end, Quincy will only be remembered as Michael's producer, but Mike means sooooooo much more than Thriller. His accomplishments, both musical and humanitarian have long surpassed that.

Sorry for the strong language people, but I just couldn't help it. That damn fool just gets under my last nerves.

Well i'm not mad at him. He's payed his respects. He doesn't have to go. Everyone is different.

Damn, why is everybody dying? Quarterback Steve McNair found shot in his condo. This is a crazy time we are in.

Anyway, I understand where Quincy is coming from. He may attend the private funeral for family and close friends.

So there's not going to be a funeral for family AND friends? Like, a real funeral? What are the family thinking?!! Michael would have wanted a ROYAL funeral, a REGAL funeral with prominent guests such as the showbiz royalty he surrounded himself with - Dame Elizabeth, Quincy, Macaulay, Nancy Reagan, Diana Ross, Stephen Spielberg, Barry Gordy etc. etc. etc.

I can't believe how tacky the Jackson family is. Michael was really the only one with a remote sense of taste, etiquette, and protocol. I wish he would have made arrangements for his funeral years ago.

So there's not going to be a funeral for family AND friends? Like, a real funeral? What are the family thinking?!! Michael would have wanted a ROYAL funeral, a REGAL funeral with prominent guests such as the showbiz royalty he surrounded himself with - Dame Elizabeth, Quincy, Macaulay, Nancy Reagan, Diana Ross, Stephen Spielberg, Barry Gordy etc. etc. etc.

I can't believe how tacky the Jackson family is. Michael was really the only one with a remote sense of taste, etiquette, and protocol. I wish he would have made arrangements for his funeral years ago.

No, no, no..the article did not say that. Maybe Quincy was not invited to the private funeral? Or maybe he was just responding to the Public Memorial cause they will prob have people honoring MJ there.

The jacksons will be holding a private ceremony for Michael and then they will head over the the staples center for the Memorial.

when did Quincy jones and michael not become friends???

Im sorry Q but what is wrong with attending a memorial with 10 million ppl who loved michael?? That don't make sense. Also no one said you had to go to the memorial. The funeral is gonna be private with family and close friends so why not attend that. Sense you so scare of attending with all the ppl who loved michael.

Im glad he not going. I had Qs number A LONG TIME AGO. Fake backstabbing hater. He probably mad michael is getting all this recognition. Stay away you fake hater.

bruce and shabuya I agree with you. I also hate how they always try to take away mikes credit and give it to q.

They need to remember one thing. Q has worked with MANY of artist but how come when he worked with michael, michael was the only one to reach Global mega superstar iconic genius status??? I wonder why...um...let me think. How about maybe because it was michael who through his talent propelled him self to the TOP and not because he work with Q! How about that!:doh:

i personally dont like quincy much
most of mjs 'friends' left him when he needed them most
and he is given way 2 much credit 4 those albums like he was the main guy not mike
sure he helped but he gets all the credit mostly n it gets on my nerves
mikes always under rated

This "he was part of my soul" crap pisses me off. He didn't mention anything about "soul" during the trial.

WTF is he talking about? there aint going to be millions of people there and there is going to be a private service for the famaly.

I'm just saying, if I don't see a picture of Dame Elizabeth being rolled out of her Bentley by Quinn Tivey on her way to a PRIVATE service, there's something seriously wrong with the way the Jackson family has orchestrated this.

If I was Quincy Jones, I wouldn't go either, its just going to be a frenzy media circus. And at the end of the day media killed MJ off.

If they laid off MJ back in the dark days, he would still be with us. The city of LA have a lot to answer for, especially the LAPD, so I don't blame Quincy not to attend.

MJ should be laid to rest at his beloved Neverland, not at a LA cememetry, that's the last place MJ would want to be.

If Quincy does'nt want to go to the memorial, its his call.......I'm bothered enough as it is since this all happened, can't really allow myself to be bothered with this.

Quincy didn't attend the funeral of Ray Charles either and like with Michael bashed him after he died as well so that isn't surprising.

Back