I Don't Want to Be Mean...

MoonGlider

Guests
But what was going on with Mariah Carey? I thought her performance was awful, and I usually like her a lot. I think she is a talented singer, and I normally enjoy her rendition of "I'll Be There," but this time she sounded like she was rehearsing the song for the very first time. And she kept doing this distracting thing where she gestures with her hand for every note. Do you think she was nervous or overcome with grief or something?

She "tried too hard", if that makes any sense.
And her voice hasn't been as on point the last couple of years, have no idea why.

On here Twitter page, she did apologize for her performance. She said that it got to her when she saw his casket in front of her. This wasn't some concert they she had to rehearse for...........I think she did the best that she could.

I haven't heard her sing recently, so I'm not familiar with the quality of her singing now. Trying too hard sounds right, and I can imagine how emotional it must have been to perform in front of the casket. I just find it so surprising because "I'll Be There" was one of her standards. I would think it would be like riding a bike and she wouldn't have to think about it too much.

Don't think i ever seen Mariah sing good live.That thing she does with her hand going up and down like she going up and down the scales but her voice pretty much stays the same always makes me laugh! She was the only performer that i heard announced that i was like "Ugh!"

Mariah's heart was in the right place,but her voice was not very good and her outfit was terrible. I thought it was totally innapropriate to show that much cleavage at a funeral or memorial service.

Don't think i ever seen Mariah sing good live.That thing she does with her hand going up and down like she going up and down the scales but her voice pretty much stays the same always makes me laugh! She was the only performer that i heard announced that i was like "Ugh!"

totally agree. the thing with her hand is making me crazy, i always hated it.
and to be honest her performance was very poor.

Watch any of Mariah's old performances and then look at this one. Even most of her fans are saying it wasn't that great. Seriously, her voice is shot. It's not what it used to be.

I think that she did pretty well for being overcome with emotions ... If I were her, I would not have been able to sing at all under those circumstances.

I think she was trying not to break down. It was emotional.

The opening line was a bit of a disaster, so I'd have to say she picked herself up quite well after that start. She could have been dressed better for a memorial service as well. There's a time and a place for cleavage!

Watch any of Mariah's old performances and then look at this one. Even most of her fans are saying it wasn't that great. Seriously, her voice is shot. It's not what it used to be.

Amen!

Her voice is definitely not what it used to be. She sounded like she was choking....and she needs to drop the hand, that doesn't make her sound better....lol

I think it must be pretty hard for the powerhouse divas of our time - Mariah, Whitney, Celine - I mean, since their debut albums they've been known for their voice more than anything else. They weren't really blessed with the creativity and brashness that Madonna has, they got the powerhouse voice instead. So you can imagine the constant scrutiny they face. One bad note and people freak out.

Seriously though, people have been concerned about Mariah's voice for a few years. It's definitely lacking the power it had some years ago. The use of Autotune on her new single is quite depressing.

I love Mariah but she can't sing live anymore, and her performance yesterday was pretty pathetic, she never seems to sing with genuine emotion either, I think they would have been better off getting Beyonce to do it.

honestly, i think it was partly off because she was upset and trying not to break down.

i think its very brave and nice for all of those artists to appreciate Michael, and to do that while his casket was there, must of been very, very, hard.

She started out pretty bad, but she did get better during the song... I like her and I'm sure that she did her best... She should have covered more up though, not the right place and time to show so much cleavage....

Sorry if this has been posted but have you seen her twitter page? :(

MariahCarey. Sorry that I wasn't able to pull it together and really do it right,but I was literally choked up when I saw him there in front of me.(Cont
about 9 hours ago from TwitterBerry

MariahCarey. Trying to sing today was basically impossible for me. I could barely keep myself from crying. I'm sorry that

I think if i had a huge lump in my throat I wouldnt be able to sing my best either. We cant imagine how hard that must have been. I dont think it was her best performance but she did better than I could so hey!? Who am i to judge ;)

I love Mariah, Ive seen her sing live in the past and she is an absolutely amazing performer and singer. But she killed I'll be there - and not in a good way. It sounded terrible, but for whatever reason we dont know. Maybe she was nervous, she wanted it to sound perfect, maybe she choked up because she was sad and tried to hide her emotions, perhaps she wasnt even able to sing at all had she let her emotions run over her.

BUT...

That cleavage... So inappropriate... Very tacky... I thought she'd at least cover up on a FUNERAL.

I think we should stop with all this judging. We agree, she didn't do as well as she could have. But she apologized and we know the reasons.

I could barely talk last night, and I've never even met him personally. For someone who knew him, I can't imagine how it much have been to perform with his casket in front of their eyes. Just think about it.
Yes, you're gonna say that others did better. But she was first and not everyone handles pressure the same way.

Let's respect and thank her for her tribute, she loved him and that was a ceremony of love for Michael.

I'm not judging her. I simply made an observation that her singing was not up to her usual standard, and I wondered why. I did not question her capability or her presence at the memorial.

Back