Mayer explains Jackson tribute performance

SIDEWALK

Proud Member
John Mayer has spoken out about his decision not to sing during his appearance at the Michael Jackson public memorial service.

The 'Gravity' star performed an instrumental version of Jackson's hit 'Human Nature' in front of thousands of mourners at the Staples Center in Los Angeles yesterday.

Speaking on Larry King Live, he said: "The decision to not sing is just out of knowing what's best for me.

"I think it's quite a mine field to go into trying to in any way replicate vocally what Michael Jackson has done. And in a way, it was sort of respectfully leaving an absence, you know, sort of the presence of his absence."

He went on to describe the event as "unbelievable" and "humanising", saying: "You know, Michael Jackson wasn't super human. He was extra human.

"I think everybody who watched the service, I think by the end of it, the best service of all was the service done to Michael Jackson to sort of render him finally as being a human being."

By Lara Martin, Entertainment Reporter

I applaud anyone who took to that stage.

Well done Mayer...

I thought his tribute was great. Good decision not to sing. The absence of Michael's voice gave the tribute quite a haunting but touching edge.

He always says the right things.....the things everybody wants to hear. So jealous of him for that too, lol!

John Mayer is the same thing I want for Michael - for him to be seen as a human being.

Very nicely explained by him why he kept it instrumental...
I thought i was very emotional that way!

Watching the Gary, Indiana memorial concert for Michael, I am noticing that most people are remembering Michael for his humanitarian side. I mean they are singing songs like We Are The World.

Great and thoughtful decision on John Mayers' part. His tribute was wonderfully done.
It really allowed you to just go inside HN with Michael.

he knows his limits, unlike some and did very well. also, i noticed much more restraint on his part to control his performance face. jm fans know what im talking about

Been watching john mayer's performance, everytime i see this i start to cry

Thank you john mayer! You done a fantastic job!

His was absolutely my favorite performance of the memorial... I loved that he didn't sing and knew that no one could replace MJ's vocals on that song, so he did his tribute in his own way. It was incredibly classy.

Usher walking down to, touching the casket and the rehearsed tears at the end I could have done without. Not classy.

Usher walking down to, touching the casket and the rehearsed tears at the end I could have done without. Not classy

don't think that's very fair. It was an emotional time for everyone.

U are right. It just seemed really fake to me kind of rehearsed. Something about it didn't sit right with me. But I'll leave him alone, you are correct, it was emotional for everyone...

Back