Madonna booed in Bucharest

Agent M

Proud Member
Madonna booed in Bucharest for criticizing discrimination against Roma, or Gypsies

Thu Aug 27, 7:52 AM By The Associated Press

BUCHAREST, Romania - Thousands of fans have booed pop star Madonna after she spoke out against the discrimination of Gypsies in eastern Europe during one of her concerts.

Madonna paused in the two-hour concert in Bucharest to say that Gypsies, also known as Roma, were discriminated against in eastern Europe.

She said that made her "sad" and nobody should be discriminated against.

Thousands in the crowd of 60,000 booed her. She did not react.

Roma musicians and a Roma dancer were featured in her show, held just yards from the giant palace of ex-communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu. Their performances were applauded by the crowd.

There are officially some 500,000 Roma in Romania, but the real number could be around two million. They face prejudice and discrimination in Romania and other east European nations.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090827/entertainment/music_romania_madonna_gypsies

So racism against romanis is still very strong. I learned about them a little when I did a thesis about Wuthering Heights. There was speculation that Heathcliff could have been romani hence the racist/predijudiced treatment of him as a character.

So racism against romanis is still very strong. I learned about them a little when I did a thesis about Wuthering Heights. There was speculation that Heathcliff could have been romani hence the racist/predijudiced treatment of him as a character.
she wasnt booed for that. she was because she basically made everyone there a gypsy. btw i don't use the term "romani" as it can create confusion.
And btw saying racism against gypsies if high here is like saying that michael bleached his skin. It's a lie. a big lie.

people were upset because most of the criminals and antisocial behaving people are gypsy in origins and thus madonna basically insulted everyone... it's not about race, it's about how a group is seen because most of it's members are doing wrong things.

as for prejudice... how come many people do adopt their behavior? and how come they have the most rights than any other minority? they have more right than the majority of people who happen to be white. now excuse me but i fail to see prejudice...

and just to mention ...it's in the enough is enough already
but i'll put the link here too just to understand what i meant :
this guy is gypsy and he sings, listen to this and tell me if it ain't theft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNcih-qm4HY&feature=related

it really hurt me to see this.

Last edited:

it's one thing to learn about them in your posh little schools and another thing to live with them. I have nothing against gypsies I just hate the western hypocrisy, they are so good at it. what about the discrimination that we romanians have to endure from the rest of Europe? no nobody says anything about that

I'm glad madonna left. she got booed - that was the cherry on top for me :lol: I never want to see her again in Bucharest. and this has nothing to do with the gypsies, I just hate her...no, hate is a strong word. dislike her

Last edited:
Glad to see someone stand up for my people atleast, there's racial slurs about us yet to this day..

I was looking forward to see what will ppl from Romania have to say on this topic, since I saw this "booing thing" today on the news.
Personally I think Madonna made a mistake, she went babbling about things she doesn't have a clue about, its obvious she doesn't.
I do like Madonna, but this time she made a mistake. Nobody asked for her preaching, seems nowdays everyone feels some weirdo impulse for preaching. *which makes me think of U2, Bono really irritates me beyond possible)

That's awful.
It's amazing Madonna even carried on after that.

If i was Madonna i would do a Axl Rose and just fuck of and go home , she said it made her Sad its not as if she went, " Oh i think everyone should be discriminated against" some people overreact to things far too easily

it's one thing to learn about them in your posh little schools and another thing to live with them. I have nothing against gypsies I just hate the western hypocrisy, they are so good at it. what about the discrimination that we romanians have to endure from the rest of Europe? no nobody says anything about that
...and the reason romanians are discriminated in the western Europe has something to do with the bad things gypsies are doing outsite our country (and inside... you really don't know how is it...)! And what they are doing has nothing to to with us! But we are all seen as "gypies" because of them!

I do live in the counry which has huge problems with racism toward gypsies.

The thing is that me and some of my friends have had bad expiriences with them. I don't support racism and I would never say that all gypsies are bad. The fact is, however, that the percent of gypsies that cause problems is really really high. If the country wouldn't give them more rights than to other people, racism wouldn't be such an issue. So don't blame just racist, blame police and govermants.

Again, in no way i'm racist. A gypsie could be my best friend if he wouldn't be a criminal or antisocial. And i do beleive that there exist many gypsies like that... in the shadow of bad ones.

Her having gypsy dancers in her band doesn't mean she knows gypsies in general.

They are far from being discriminated, they get the same rights as everyone here in Romania and I've never heard of, seen or encountered any situation where a gypsy was attaked or treated badly. Yet I've wittnessed countless occasions on which people were attacked, robbed of their belongings or simply tricked into illegal practices by gypsies. It happens every day in every part of the country, and this is far from it being a racist comment, it's a reality that you probably have to see in order to believe. I've had problems with them myself, but nothing serios has happened so far, fortunately.
Just recently, a friend of mine told me how she befriended a gypsy, and that gypsy explained to her how they are tought to steal since they're kindergarten-aged, and how the stealing-methods change as they grow older.
It's not the children's fault, and as long as they're not brought up in an environment that promotes fairness and hard-work, nothing will change. Yet it's a matter of culture, and nothing else.

I don't have anything against gypsies as people; I've actually talked to a few, been friendly to them and everything was fine. I know that not all of them are bad examples. But the majority fail to put the race in a good light.

I do, however, have something against claims that gypsies are Romanians or vice-versa. I can't help getting angry when I watch the news and hear that "Romanians show violence/practice theft in Italy" and at the same time, a picture of gypsies is shown. I can't help getting angry when I hear so so many foreigners say that Romanians are dirty, uneducated and live in tents, when in fact they have gypsies in mind. I can't help getting angry when I hear that countries have banned Romanians from working in certain places because of the problems they've had with gypsies.

Unlike other contries, Romania has accepted them and has offered them citizenship and everything. Like the article says, we even appreciate their music and other stuff. Yet, whatever happens, we are different cultures. They live by their own laws and patterns, and no one interferes with that. They even marry their kids when they're 9-10 years old; again, no one interferes with that. But saying that they are Romanians and represent our country is just wrong.

If I go to the USA, get American citizenship and 6 months later plant a bomb in a building, no one is gonna say "it was planted by an American citizen", they're gonna say "it was planted by a Romanian". And Romanians will be hated on. (same as it happened with Muslims after 9/11) Yet no one is gonna say that is discrimination against Romanians, it will just seem fair and natural.

And we expect the same thing. If gypsies do certain things, don't say: "Romanians did it." just because they have citizenship. Be fair and identify them correctly.

No one is hating on them, we're the ones who are hated because of their actions. Try living in a society where they're permanently around and then waking up one day to hear that you're considered one of them and dismissed because of that.

I know many are going to judge me for what I've written, but I'll just say this - don't judge something you haven't experienced yourself. Don't judge our attitudes towards them if you've never had to deal with them. Once you've been there, you realize it's not a matter of being prejudiced, but simply one of wanting to be ackowledged for whom you are, and not for whom you aren't.

Last edited:
So Madonna made a mistake by standing up against discrimination? I don't think so. Equality for all or none at all, I say. It's not like she said something radical or tried to "preach" as someone said. The crowd did boo at the sentiment but they still watched her show and carried on despite it.

And if there really isn't any type of discrimination going on against peoples in that country then why would there have been booing and why is this being discussed at all???

So Madonna made a mistake by standing up against discrimination? I don't think so. Equality for all or none at all, I say. It's not like she said something radical or tried to "preach" as someone said. The crowd did boo at the sentiment but they still watched her show and carried on despite it.

Thats along the same lines as what i said, people must have misherd her or something i can totally picture Madonna going " Oh i fucking hate Gypes bunch of tramps the lot of them" yeah cause you know that would go down well with the Punters, all she said was that it was Sad people are getting discriminated and yet she gets booed? whats up with these people

Her having gypsy dancers in her band doesn't mean she knows gypsies in general.

They are far from being discriminated, they get the same rights as everyone here in Romania and I've never heard of, seen or encountered any situation where a gypsy was attaked or treated badly. Yet I've wittnessed countless occasions on which people were attacked, robbed of their belongings or simply tricked into illegal practices by gypsies. It happens every day in every part of the country, and this is far from it being a racist comment, it's a reality that you probably have to see in order to believe. I've had problems with them myself, but nothing serios has happened so far, fortunately.
Just recently, a friend of mine told me how she befriended a gypsy, and that gypsy explained to her how they are tought to steal since they're kindergarten-aged, and how the stealing-methods change as they grow older.
It's not the children's fault, and as long as they're not brought up in an environment that promotes fairness and hard-work, nothing will change. Yet it's a matter of culture, and nothing else.

I don't have anything against gypsies as people; I've actually talked to a few, been friendly to them and everything was fine. I know that not all of them are bad examples. But the majority fail to put the race in a good light.

I do, however, have something against claims that gypsies are Romanians or vice-versa. I can't help getting angry when I watch the news and hear that "Romanians show violence/practice theft in Italy" and at the same time, a picture of gypsies is shown. I can't help getting angry when I hear so so many foreigners say that Romanians are dirty, uneducated and live in tents, when in fact they have gypsies in mind. I can't help getting angry when I hear that countries have banned Romanians from working in certain places because of the problems they've had with gypsies.

Unlike other contries, Romania has accepted them and has offered them citenship and everything. Like the article says, we even appreciate their music and other stuff. Yet, whatever happens, we are different cultures. They live by their own laws and patterns, and no one interferes with that. They even marry their kids when they're 9-10 years old; again, no one interferes with that. But saying that they are Romanians and represent our country is just wrong.

If I go to the USA, get American citenship and 6 months later plant a bomb in a building, no one is gonna say "it was planted by an American citizen", they're gonna say "it was planted by a Romanian". And Romanians will be hated on. (same as it happened with Muslims after 9/11) Yet no one is gonna say that is discrimination against Romanians, it will just seem fair and natural.

And we expect the same thing. If gypsies do certain things, don't say: "Romanians did it." just because they have citenship. Be fair and identify them correctly.

No one is hating on them, we're the ones who are hated because of their actions. Try living in a society where they're permanently around and then waking up one day to hear that you're considered one of them and dismissed because of that.

I know many are going to judge me for what I've written, but I'll just say this - don't judge something you haven't experienced yourself. Don't judge our attitudes towards them if you've never had to deal with them. Once you've been there, you realize it's not a matter of being prejudiced, but simply one of wanting to be ackowledged for whom you are, and not for whom you aren't.

Not that I have anything to really say about your opinions, but I sincerly think you've got "Romanian" and "Rom"/"Romani" mixed up. We call ourself "Rom", pronunced with a heavy accent on the "R", can't really spell the sound I'm trying to get across with text here, but it's like the sound you make when you gather saliva in your mouth before you spit, lol. Just saying, just think you got the 2 expressions mixed up - we've never clamied to be Romanian.. On top of that, our language is even called "Romanes" - again with an heavy accent on the "R"...

Madonna booed in Bucharest for criticizing discrimination against Roma, or Gypsies

Thu Aug 27, 7:52 AM By The Associated Press

BUCHAREST, Romania - Thousands of fans have booed pop star Madonna after she spoke out against the discrimination of Gypsies in eastern Europe during one of her concerts.

Madonna paused in the two-hour concert in Bucharest to say that Gypsies, also known as Roma, were discriminated against in eastern Europe.

She said that made her "sad" and nobody should be discriminated against.

Thousands in the crowd of 60,000 booed her. She did not react.

Roma musicians and a Roma dancer were featured in her show, held just yards from the giant palace of ex-communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu. Their performances were applauded by the crowd.

There are officially some 500,000 Roma in Romania, but the real number could be around two million. They face prejudice and discrimination in Romania and other east European nations.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090827/entertainment/music_romania_madonna_gypsies
to bad :(
more sad...

except for my fellow romanians that answered this post, everybody else seems to miss the point. Madonna wasn't booed because we are racist. but because as Michael said in TDCAU, she put us ALL in a class with a bad name. it's nothing racist here.
i wonder why people pitty gypsies who choose to live as nomads on the streets of the cities and why no one gives a damn on romanians that have two or more university diplomas and are in a state of searching thru garbage for food. i fail to see why gypsies are defended and seen as victims when they are not and when white people (who just happen to be white - one doesn't choose the color of his skin), romanians in this case, are feeling insulted and react is seen as racism.
i have no doubt that there are many gypsies outhere that are good and educated, decent people but most of them are people that one should stay away from.

It is a trend in this world that goes sort of like this:
if one is black and says he's proud of that it's ok
if one is gypsy and says he's proud of that it's ok
if one is asian and says he's proud of that it's ok
if one is white and says he's proud of that it's wrong ....what? how come?

this is sad to see... seems to me equality is not for the white people. And it's understandable since this society is ruled by people who feel "victimized" for no reason at all

those people @ madonna's concert just felt insulted... i wonder why didn't she sang a song of any other minority that lives here in Romania?

I didn't know anything about the subject matter until reading the comments on the video, and of course that still doesn't make me educated on it. But if what these Romanian people are saying is true, I would be ticked off seeing Madonna stand up there and preach so arrogantly to the point where she's literally telling the audience what they think ("we don't believe in... we believe in... etc."). I don't think that people who haven't lived there really have the right to judge what sort of attitude towards gypsies is right or wrong. By an American analogy, does being awry of people who you know are part of a violent street gang make you an intolerant bigot?

Again, though, I'm not claiming to know unequivocally what this group is like, but I don't think Madonna knew very much about it either because that's the perception she gives ("we've heard that...").

It's easy to sit around sipping a cappuccino and wag your finger without ever having lived that life.

And of course, Madonna fans who don't know very much about the subject and are jumping to her defense because she's Madonna should kindly stfu.

I was recently in France, and they also have a problem with "gypsies" .. is this the same type? Cos if so... I had no kind of sympathy and in the end became so angry with their scamming attempts that I was blatantly telling them to F*** off.

I was recently in France, and they also have a problem with "gypsies" .. is this the same type? Cos if so... I had no kind of sympathy and in the end became so angry with their scamming attempts that I was blatantly telling them to F*** off.
it's sort of the same thing ...as many have immigrated from here. the worse thing is that most people can't tell the difference. even their "name" romani- it's too close to romanian..this creates confusion and most people don't understand there are 2 different things...this is why call them gypsi not romani (a name they established quite recently )

this is not about RACISM this is about Madonna making a remark on something she has no clue about
yet again - she's trying to look like she knows what she's talking about. she's not as smart as she thinks she is and I'm sick of her pretentions and over inflated ego
she made her millions she can go home now, back to that high school boy she's hanging out with

you want me to tell you what gypsies are like? ok here it is there are good and bad gypsies. the good ones I respect them and we get along perfectly I have high school friends who belong to this minority
the bad ones you don't want to get close to and this is an example - when I was in highschool a classmate of mine who was waiting for the bus to go home he was attacked by a gang on 10 gypsies and beaten to death. he underwent 2 brain surgeries and died a week later and the attackers told police they "mistook him" for someone else. he was 18 years old...it was most gratuitous act of violence I've ever seen, it's not the individuals it's the gangs that we have a problem with and I blame it on poverty and lack of education, they give a bad name to the rest of the people belonging to this minority and to us too

Not that I have anything to really say about your opinions, but I sincerly think you've got "Romanian" and "Rom"/"Romani" mixed up. We call ourself "Rom", pronunced with a heavy accent on the "R", can't really spell the sound I'm trying to get across with text here, but it's like the sound you make when you gather saliva in your mouth before you spit, lol. Just saying, just think you got the 2 expressions mixed up - we've never clamied to be Romanian.. On top of that, our language is even called "Romanes" - again with an heavy accent on the "R"...

Oh, not at all, you misunderstood me, lol. I could never get the two of them mixed, maybe only if I had amnezia or something, lol.
I know that's it's not Rroms (we write it with a double "r" here :scratsch ) who claim to be Romanian, it's people who are neither Romanian, nor Rrom. People of other ethnicities who just watch from afar, don't do their research and draw the conclusion that we're one and the same. It's them that get things mixed up.

all she said was that it was Sad people are getting discriminated and yet she gets booed? whats up with these people

That's exactly what's up. How the hell does she know how discriminated gypsies are in Romania? She's speaking from hearsay and making claims that just aren't true. It's the first time she's even been here so she can't possibly know how things work. If she'd been living here for a couple of months at least, then yeah, I'd say she might have a clue. But otherwise, it's senseless talk.

If I came to you and told you: "oh, it's sad that you hate your mother" , you'd boo me as well. While the statement that "it's sad when people hate their mothers" is correct, if it doesn't apply to you, then you will also get mad and feel offended because you know you don't hate your mother. (well, I'm just assuming here, of course, lol)

except for my fellow romanians that answered this post, everybody else seems to miss the point. Madonna wasn't booed because we are racist. but because as Michael said in TDCAU, she put us ALL in a class with a bad name. it's nothing racist here.
i wonder why people pitty gypsies who choose to live as nomads on the streets of the cities and why no one gives a damn on romanians that have two or more university diplomas and are in a state of searching thru garbage for food. i fail to see why gypsies are defended and seen as victims when they are not and when white people (who just happen to be white - one doesn't choose the color of his skin), romanians in this case, are feeling insulted and react is seen as racism.
i have no doubt that there are many gypsies outhere that are good and educated, decent people but most of them are people that one should stay away from.

It is a trend in this world that goes sort of like this:
if one is black and says he's proud of that it's ok
if one is gypsy and says he's proud of that it's ok
if one is asian and says he's proud of that it's ok
if one is white and says he's proud of that it's wrong ....what? how come?

this is sad to see... seems to me equality is not for the white people. And it's understandable since this society is ruled by people who feel "victimized" for no reason at all

those people @ madonna's concert just felt insulted... i wonder why didn't she sang a song of any other minority that lives here in Romania?

Brillian post. I would bold all of it, but then the purpose of bolding would be lost, lol.

I don't think that people who haven't lived there really have the right to judge what sort of attitude towards gypsies is right or wrong. By an American analogy, does being awry of people who you know are part of a violent street gang make you an intolerant bigot?

Again, though, I'm not claiming to know unequivocally what this group is like, but I don't think Madonna knew very much about it either because that's the perception she gives ("we've heard that...").

It's easy to sit around sipping a cappuccino and wag your finger without ever having lived that life.

Yepp, that's exactly the issue. You got it perfectly right ;)

you want me to tell you what gypsies are like? ok here it is there are good and bad gypsies. the good ones I respect them and we get along perfectly I have high school friends who belong to this minority
the bad ones you don't want to get close to and this is an example - when I was in highschool a classmate of mine who was waiting for the bus to go home he was attacked by a gang on 10 gypsies and beaten to death. he underwent 2 brain surgeries and died a week later and the attackers told police they "mistook him" for someone else. he was 18 years old...it was most gratuitous act of violence I've ever seen, it's not the individuals it's the gangs that we have a problem with and I blame it on poverty and lack of education, they give a bad name to the rest of the people belonging to this minority and to us too

Bingo.

Same as you, I respect any Rrom with an education, wishful for a decent job and a decent life. If fact, it's not even a matter of race - I respect any person with an education, wishful for a decent job and a decent life.
The problem is that the Rroms who belong to "the class with a bad name" (as ShadowMaster said) simply outnumber the decent ones. When people think of them, the first things that come to mind are the negative ones, and it's because they've made a "reputation" through them. No one but themselves gave them that bad reputation.

Again, cheers to those who are above all that and are respectable members of society. I really hope that more and more will be like that in the future.

Last edited:
it's sort of the same thing ...as many have immigrated from here. the worse thing is that most people can't tell the difference. even their "name" romani- it's too close to romanian..this creates confusion and most people don't understand there are 2 different things...this is why call them gypsi not romani (a name they established quite recently )

Again, I have no wishes in jumping in to anyone's opinions, but claiming that we established the name "Romani" quite recently is dead wrong - officially through the media yes, (for some reason the word gypsy is considered a racist remark now days - don't ask me why thou, I have never taken it personally to that extent whatsoever - I'm a proud gypsy) but we have called ourselves Romani for literally thousands of years - for all my 22 years on this planet, we've always been "Rom"/ "Romani", it is not a word nor name we have taken to us recently - ask any gypsy really..

I'm sorry if this remark seems very uninformed and I mean no offence... I am an outsider and I've only read this thread.

but isn't there good and bad in *every* group, minority and otherwise?

why does this group get represented by the members that do wrong? Isn't that unfair? Even though it's said that there are indeed well educated and upstanding members of the gypsy group, doesn't representing the group as being bad in the majority make it HARDER for those who dont follow a stereotype to get noticed?

It sounds like attitudes from both the gypsy community and the general community need to change :)

But all the posts here have been so informative and I respect all of your opinions. If anyone could give me a better understanding of the origin of this i would be so appreciative :)

Again, I have no wishes in jumping in to anyone's opinions, but claiming that we established the name "Romani" quite recently is dead wrong - officially through the media yes, (for some reason the word gypsy is considered a racist remark now days - don't ask me why thou, I have never taken it personally to that extent whatsoever - I'm a proud gypsy) but we have called ourselves Romani for literally thousands of years - for all my 22 years on this planet, we've always been "Rom"/ "Romani", it is not a word nor name we have taken to us recently - ask any gypsy really..
it's been established in 1970's and that is recent compared to the "gypsi" name. now ... i don't want you to think i got something with them but i don't like being mistaked to them based on the abreviation of my country's name. and i met a lot of gypsies who insisted being called gypsi. i never saw this word as a racist word... it;s like you're racist calling me white ... :) it's not the name and the race that creates hatred but actions themselves... and when there are many people of a certain group that do that ..then the group gets labeled ... it's what it is i didn't invented this and i can't make people change their views

yet i don't agree with this letting go trend regarding race .. i'm proud of my race and i'm sure you are proud of it too. and it's really beautiful to see people of different races.. different traditions and stuff.
but i am bothered when i see naked little children in the street... and it does bother me if i give money to a beggar that gets in his car right after i move on... and stuff like that ...

yes, I agree not all its a bad people...
some one made bad things and bring whit them ahter people inocent =)

youre cool =)

me too, she was trying to make a point and people were acting like that... idiots.

really? Would you perhaps change your perspective if she came to your country, and there at the concert, started making points about Kosovo?
I wonder how that would have ended.;D

And if there really isn't any type of discrimination going on against peoples in that country then why would there have been booing and why is this being discussed at all???
She has the right to express her opinion as do the audience. The most important thing is that the situation is being discussed. Even if she won't change many people's minds she at least made her audience think about it, which can only be a good thing. Having said that, it's always easier to be PC from a comfortable position than when you are a regular witness to (and maybe even suffer from) the behavior of these people. And crime rate among romans is high. It's not racist to say so, it's just a fact. Even so, I'm sure there are decent romans too and it's not fair if they are discriminated against for the behavior of other romans. If Madonna succeeded in getting that message across to a few of her fans it was worth the effort.

Back