Behind the Scenes Making of Janet's MTV VMA Tribute to Michael

elmari

Proud Member
MTV is going to air a behind the scenes making of Janet's tribute to Michael at the VMAs on:

Saturday at 1230pm
Saturday at 1230am
Sunday at 5pm

Pacific Coast time:

Saturday at 930 am
Saturday at 930 pm
Sunday at 3pm

Janet Jackson On Michael Jackson VMA Tribute: 'The Most Fun I Ever Had On TV'

'The Making of Janet Jackson's Video Music Awards Tribute Performance' airs on MTV Saturday at 12:30 p.m.
By Eric Ditzian

About four minutes into the tribute to Michael Jackson at Sunday's MTV Video Music Awards, Janet Jackson burst onstage to jam to "Scream," the duet they recorded together in 1995. It was the crowning moment in an all-star homage to MJ that included a dance number performed by renowned choreographers.

If you enjoyed watching the tribute, Janet enjoyed performing just as much.

"This is the most fun -- from my mouth to God's ears -- the most fun I have ever had working on a project for TV," Janet told MTV.

But how did the whole tribute come together? On Saturday at 12:30 p.m., MTV will air "The Making of Janet Jackson's VMA Tribute Performance," an exclusive, behind-the-scenes show that will give viewers an all-access look into everything that went into the performance.

Our cameras were there from the first day of rehearsals in Los Angeles to a relaxing BBQ with Janet and her team of choreographers to the last seconds before they took the VMA stage at New York's Radio City Music Hall to bring the house down with the performance of a lifetime. For the first time, Janet opened up to our cameras and shared her feelings about her brother and this special tribute.

"I just wanted to come to rehearsal when I'm supposed to come to rehearsal as if I'm one of the kids," Janet told MTV. "Just let me know when and where, and where I stand, and teach me what what I'm supposed to know. I wanted it to be that for me this time around. I wanted it to be like that this time, even though I got a little more involved than that still, but not to the magnitude that I normally get involved."

Joining her onstage -- and appearing on Saturday's MTV show -- were some of the hottest names in dance from the past 15 years, choreographers who have been heavily influenced by MJ over the years and who have even contributed moves to the pop star's own routines. Led by creative director Gil Duldulao, the dancers were Dave Scott, Cris Judd, Brian Friedman, Wade Robson, Tyce Diorio, Travis Payne, Jeri Slaughter, Laurie Ann Gibson, Mia Michaels and Tina Landon.

"It's a lot of hard work," Janet said. "[But] I always enjoy myself. I try to enjoy myself, have fun. I enjoyed myself from day one all the way to the end."

"The Making of Janet Jackson's Video Music Awards Tribute Performance" airs on MTV Saturday at 12:30 p.m.

VIDEO CLIPS:

Janet rehearsing
http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/4381...rses-for-her-vma-performance.jhtml#id=1621776

Janet on her VMA tribute to Michael
http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/438176/this-was-the-most-fun-ive-ever-had.jhtml#id=1621776

P.S. Can someone kindly record this for us and upload? Pretty please! Thanks!

Last edited:
:boohoo:

Janet looks likes she's grieving.

And yes, I will watch this if I remember (Saturdays are a bit crazy in my house).

MTV is going to air a behind the scenes making of Janet's tribute to Michael at the VMAs on Saturday at 1230pm and late that night at 1230am. It will be aired again on Sunday at 5pm.

'The Making of Janet Jackson's Video Music Awards Tribute Performance' airs on MTV Saturday at 12:30 p.m.
By Eric Ditzian

About four minutes into the tribute to Michael Jackson at Sunday's MTV Video Music Awards, Janet Jackson burst onstage to jam to "Scream," the duet they recorded together in 1995. It was the crowning moment in an all-star homage to MJ that included a dance number performed by renowned choreographers.

"This is the most fun -- from my mouth to God's ears -- the most fun I have ever had working on a project for TV," Janet told MTV.

But how did the whole tribute come together? On Saturday at 12:30 p.m., MTV will air "The Making of Janet Jackson's VMA Tribute Performance," an exclusive, behind-the-scenes show that will give viewers an all-access look into everything that went into the performance.

Our cameras were there from the first day of rehearsals in Los Angeles to a relaxing BBQ with Janet and her team of choreographers to the last seconds before they took the VMA stage at New York's Radio City Music Hall to bring the house down with the performance of a lifetime. For the first time, Janet opened up to our cameras and shared her feelings about her brother and this special tribute.

"I just wanted to come to rehearsal when I'm supposed to come to rehearsal as if I'm one of the kids," Janet told MTV. "Just let me know when and where, and where I stand, and teach me what what I'm supposed to know. I wanted it to be that for me this time around. I wanted it to be like that this time, even though I got a little more involved than that still, but not to the magnitude that I normally get involved."

Joining her onstage -- and appearing on Saturday's MTV show -- were some of the hottest names in dance from the past 15 years, choreographers who have been heavily influenced by MJ over the years and who have even contributed moves to the pop star's own routines. Led by creative director Gil Duldulao, the dancers were Dave Scott, Cris Judd, Brian Friedman, Wade Robson, Tyce Diorio, Travis Payne, Jeri Slaughter, Laurie Ann Gibson, Mia Michaels and Tina Landon.

"It's a lot of hard work," Janet said. "[But] I always enjoy myself. I try to enjoy myself, have fun. I enjoyed myself from day one all the way to the end."

"The Making of Janet Jackson's Video Music Awards Tribute Performance" airs on MTV Saturday at 12:30 p.m.

VIDEO CLIPS:

Janet rehearsing
http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/4381...rses-for-her-vma-performance.jhtml#id=1621776

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/438176/this-was-the-most-fun-ive-ever-had.jhtml#id=1621776

P.S. Can someone kindly record this for us an upload? Pretty please! Thanks!

^^ I know. In that clip, Janet was saying that she was having so much fun rehearsing and doing the tribute, but she also looked very sad. No smiles.

I think what she meant by it was so much fun for her is because it gave her something positive to focus on and she was doing it for her brother. Plus, she was working with dancers and choreographers that had been working with her and Michael for years, so they probably had lots of stories and memories to share with each other.

There was also another story that she has been working heavily on her new album with Rodney Jerkins. He produced 'Make Me' which was the song that was dropped after the VMAs.

I am also wondering if he might be working with Janet in final productions of some of Michael's unreleased tracks. I know he was the one who said that he would LOVE to produce another 'duet' btw Michael and Janet using one of Michael's unreleased tracks.

That would be interesting and I really don't mind if it is going to be Janet.

Thanks for this. I love her!

I can imagine for her feeling this was the most fun for her.
All them great dancers at once, I loved it!
I want more.

interesting to see the rehearsal footage, wonder why all those dancers didn't make it to the VMA's?

I can't wait to watch the making of it, gonna have to program it on my tv. Thanks for the heads up OP.

cool! I look forward to seeing it!

Ohh I feel so sorry for her...poor girl! :(
I hope she could do what felt right in the interview, that they won't cut out important parts.
Michael can be proud of her, she's so strong! I hope she got a little comfort through paying the tribute.

Finally. Hopefully this brings some more media attention the MJ tribute and leave the Kanye stuff alone.

MTV is going to air a behind the scenes making of Janet's tribute to Michael at the VMAs on:

Saturday at 1230pm
Saturday at 1230am
Sunday at 5pm

By Eric Ditzian

VIDEO CLIPS:

Janet rehearsing

P.S. Can someone kindly record this for us and upload? Pretty please! Thanks!

They know where their ratings come from. With the spike of ratings because of the 2009 VMA's they will milk MJ's name as much as they can. Now they wanna be nice to someone who put them on the map? I loved and appreciated JJ's performance, but I think I may resume my personal boycott and try to catch it on youtube.

Anything for ratings, But I know that Janet is greiving for her Brother. I can imagine this hole in her heart that would not go away. I feel so sad when I saw Janet. It was tough for her to do this. He played with her so much when they were kids. His little sister. She cuddled Paris at the Memorial aww!!
I hate MTV and will not watch. But I know I will see it somewhere online..

Janet said at the end she was trying to remain composed as she could have started to cry when her performance was over, therefore the reason why she seemed upset.... fully understandable.

interesting to see the rehearsal footage, wonder why all those dancers didn't make it to the VMA's?

All of them did perform Scream with Janet, the only person who didn't perform whos in the rehearsal footage is Mia Michaels because she injured her back.

The best dancers? Well what happen to the guy that did the SM lean? LMAO! No put anyways I will watch and god bless janet!

All of them did perform Scream with Janet, the only person who didn't perform whos in the rehearsal footage is Mia Michaels because she injured her back.

oh - OK, thanks. I was trying really hard to see Mia in there but I couldn't - this explains it.

Aww. God bless Janet, she's so strong and lovely person.
And thanks for the links!

I live on that Pacific coast and I just happened to catch it here at 930am. I guess all of the times on the MTV schedule is in EST.

Anyways, I caught it about 10 min in but it was a fantastic behind the scenes. I teared a bit listening to Janet because she said that she got emotional many times during rehearsals, saying that she loved her brother and missed him, saying that she still can't believe that he is gone.

All the choreographers were great too saying how Michael has influenced them. Saying that his dance style is hard, even for these professional dancers/choregraphers.

It was fun listening to Cris Judd talk about his memories with Michael on the Dangerous and History tours. I thought he was just part of the History tour.

Anyways, you can still catch it two more times this wknd-->

Sat night 1230am EST; 930pm PST
Sunday 5pm EST; 3pm PST

Can someone kindly record it for us and upload? Please? Thank you! :)

Christian Louboutin made all the shoes for the dancers and Janet for the Scream section. They were sparkly and had some major bling! The dancers said that the shoes fit like a glove on them.

I don't know if Christian gave them for free or Janet bought them, but she gave the costumes and the shoes to the dancers as a gift.

Also, all of the costumes the dancers in the Scream section were some form of an MJ costume. The sketches were really fascinating to see. Somebody was wearing the dangerous leotard!

Last edited:
I loved it! I teared up the whole time. Janet has an amazing strength.

:lmao: @ Chris Judd's story about Michael punching him

Hope someone capped it, I really want to see it and I don't have MTV

I couldn't see Mia, Wade, Dave or Brian!

Back