TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $238 Million WORLDWIDE thus far (UPDATE)

Calotte12

Proud Member
Sony Succeeds with 'This Is It'

Michael Jackson fans across the country are making the concert film a success at the box office of North America.

Michael Jackson’s This is It, the posthumous homage to the late King of Pop, grossed $2.2 million from midnight showings. According to Sony, the concert film has already exceeded that haul from Wednesday matinees.

Call it a pop culture hurricane or simply a belated embrace of the late star’s legacy, but whatever Sony Pictures did in the run-up to the film’s debut clearly clicked with audiences.

Sony Pictures deserves credit for properly massaging a pop culture phenomenon.

Sean Phillips, executive producer of Yahoo! Movies, says part of the studio’s successful marketing campaign for This is It boiled down to timing.

“The movie’s coming out so close to when he passed away. It’s tough to have more built-in publicity than that,” Phillips says.

And Sony wisely focused the film on Jackson’s talents, not his often disturbing personal life.

“It’s not going to dwell on any of his oddities or the well-known troubles in his life,” Phillips says. “He’s doing all the favorite moves we know and love, stuff the younger generation doesn’t even pull off.”

The studio also wisely made the movie something of an event, claiming it will only run in theaters for two weeks, “not unlike how the show was supposed to be,“ he says of the concert Jackson was preparing for in the weeks before his death.

Robert Marich, author of “Marketing to Moviegoers: Second Edition,” says the film’s sterling trailer whetted the appetites of long-time Jackson fans.

“They had a motivated fan base. So far, what they’ve shown satisfied them,” Marich says.

It better, since Sony ponied up $60 million to concert promoter AEG Entertainment for the rights to the rehearsal footage.

Marich says Sony also did a good job minimizing Jackson’s non-music headlines, focusing like a laser on his songbook.

“It’s an issue,” Marich says of the singer’s plastic surgery misadventures and criminal accusations. “He’s a tainted celebrity. It’s a wall that Sony had to climb.”

Even though the movie’s advance tickets sales have been through the proverbial roof, that doesn’t necessarily spell long-term success for This is It.

“I’m dubious that the advance ticket sales are projectable like some other movies like Harry Potter,” Marich says. “It’s an open question if it‘ll draw in a bigger audience.”

The film could fade as fast as it opened, he cautions.

“Concert films are like horror films. They can open strong but they traditionally don’t hold up,” he says.

The current hype surrounding the film could continue well past its theatrical run.

“The whole game isn’t cinema. It could do so-so in cinema and do gangbusters in DVD,” he says. “[Sony] has every incentive to really promote it.”

So what about a sequel?

Phillips thinks the creative folks behind the movie would prefer This is It to be the final, fitting tribute to Jackson.

But if the film keeps on selling tickets anything is possible. It wouldn’t be the first time the death of a singing legend kicked off the start of a new phase in his or her career.

“Sadly you never know,” Phillips says.

http://boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2009/10/this-is-it.php

Re: This Is It grossed 2.2 millions only for midnight screening

2.2 millions/10$ a ticket = 220 000 crazy MJ fans :) in North America

is 2.2 mill good for a midnight relase ?? and thats just in U.S.A

North America = USA + Canada

220 000 people for a midnight screening is amazing news. I think its a record.

2.2 millions/10$ a ticket = 220 000 crazy MJ fans :) in North America

Are you referring to the news anchor on CNN calling those that saw the midnight screening "CRAZY MJ FANS"???

For a moment I was like.. me crazy? No honey. Maybe Crazy for Mike but then...

I will wear that badge of "CRAZY MJ FAN" for seeing the midnight screening as an HONOR:cheers:

$2.2 million? CHA CHING!!!! keep it coming. TII will be #1

wow so is it poss this movie does 100 mill here in N.A by sunday????

does that happen at premieres often , I am thinkinking that is a good thing.

Wow!!! Imagine if they add up a total of this movie's gross earnings worldwide....

Wow!!! Imagine if they add up a total of this movie's gross earnings worldwide....

there is a good poss this will do 250 mill in 5 days maybe more cause people will go see it again again it was that good

Are you referring to the news anchor on CNN calling those that saw the midnight screening "CRAZY MJ FANS"???

I will wear that badge of "CRAZY MJ FAN" for seeing the midnight screening as an HONOR:cheers:

lol, ditto.

Not quite in the US. The Dark Knight made $18,489,000 from midnight showings. Still a superb number nonetheless.

O well I hope it breaks a ton of record what an amazing movie

“It’s not going to dwell on any of his oddities or the well-known troubles in his life,” Phillips says.

god, that Randy Phillips. what an ass. he just HAS to say that, doesn't he? yuck.

Hmmm, I'm actually beginning to believe that SONY might just reach their expectations on this...

Hmmm, I'm actually beginning to believe that SONY might just reach their expectations on this...

And remember that is just U.S.A sales sales should be way bigger globaly and when people start hearing how good this movie is it could become HUGE

And remember that is just U.S.A sales sales should be way bigger globaly and when people start hearing how good this movie is it could become HUGE

Yeah, if that's what they made just in the USA on the first night, I wonder how much they've made globally!

Thanks for the news. I hope this movie will reach everyone and touch everyone’s heart.

Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' Sets New Release Record

The highly anticipated Michael Jackson documentary 'This Is It' has already set a record following Tuesday night's limited theater release.

The Sony film grossed an estimated $2.2 million at the domestic box office for its Tuesday night shows, Variety reports. This is a record for a Tuesday October release.
'This Is It' opens today in 3,500 theaters and IMAX screens nationwide, in addition to thousands more overseas.
According to the trade publication, Sony paid $60 million to AEG Entertainment for the distribution rights of the film that is a compilation of rehearsal footage of Jackson last days leading up to his sudden death.
http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/10/80240/index.html

“It’s not going to dwell on any of his oddities or the well-known troubles in his life,” Phillips says.

god, that Randy Phillips. what an ass. he just HAS to say that, doesn't he? yuck.

Actually it was Sean Phillips of Yahoo Movies not AEG Exec Randy Philllips

so how much money will the movie make by tom morning? 40 mill? :)

Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' Sets New Release Record

The highly anticipated Michael Jackson documentary 'This Is It' has already set a record following Tuesday night's limited theater release.

The Sony film grossed an estimated $2.2 million at the domestic box office for its Tuesday night shows, Variety reports. This is a record for a Tuesday October release.
'This Is It' opens today in 3,500 theaters and IMAX screens nationwide, in addition to thousands more overseas.
According to the trade publication, Sony paid $60 million to AEG Entertainment for the distribution rights of the film that is a compilation of rehearsal footage of Jackson last days leading up to his sudden death.
http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/10/80240/index.html

NO SH!T!!!! Now Thats what i'm talkin about...

My family wasnt that excited when I "FORCED" them to buy tickets...lol :lol: but after Last nights premier and today's reviews....they cant sit still...lol...:D

THIs is what Mike does to us...I work @ Alzheimer's center and they're gonna take the whole group to a movie theater NEXT WEEK! I'm like Dayyyumm...I didnt know y'all were MJ fans...:punk: but then, i guess now its "cool" to be a MJ fan right? hmmpf!:smilerolleyes:-_-

Last edited:

Great news.

Back