Fan of Michael the Man before Michael the Music

mjmirror

Proud Member
I know I haven't posted much and have been lurking so I'm coming out of my shell!

I'm 15 and I admit that only really got to know Michael's music this year and became a really big fan- but I think that's more to do with the fact that when I was growing up, MJ wasn't particularly active so I wasn’t directly exposed.

Somehow, I think I was a fan of Michael the person before I was a fan of his music (even though I loved the hits and my dance school has had a least one MJ song in every show that we’ve done- I’ve danced to Black or White).

I always believed that he was innocent and I watched documentaries about him that were trying to put the record straight. I distinctly remember defending Michael (still am to be honeat) about the child allegations and the colour of his skin to those around me (from seeing Katherine and Joseph on a documentary talking about Michael's vitligo).

I was always drawn to him- as himself.

I remember a time when I watched him on TV performing Billie Jean (no idea when this was but it’s a faint memory from when I was younger) and I being memorised by his dancing- I’d never seen anyone dance like that.

I watched the This Is It concert announcement on the news with a big smile on my face to see him come back. I believe that I thought to know more but put off the research, learning and delving partly due to my obsession of Broadway (it’s taken a lot of my time since I found a love for musicals quite a few years ago). Early this year, there was a MJ music video marathon thing on TV and I watched all of it- without being a proper “in-depth” sort of fan. It was brilliant.

Then all of a sudden Michael was gone. When my mum told me in the morning, it felt like a chunk of my heart had been ripped out. It must have been so much harder for those of you who had watched him at every highlight of his life. I regret that I’ve only decided to look more into Michael’s life after he died (it was like a wake-up call and a really big one) and that I’m sort of a so-called “newcomer” but I promise you guys that I’ll never let go, never ever. These past few months I have learnt so much about Michael that it’s sort of hard to believe- so much so that I can assure that I’m not just “the average fan” and this isn’t a "fad". I just wish that I knew him sooner.

And…I mean…MJ is sexy. Yes, I’m 15 years old and I think 50 year old Michael is just as sexy as the young Michael in the videos!

Beautiful post :heart: I was drawn to the man first too,
I was 12 and I was watching his speech at the 93 Grammys awards and I just fell in love. He was so kind, so gentle, so heartfelt, so honest, so loving, so caring, so passionate, so wise, so hopeful, so sweet, so funny....so perfect. He truly spoke to me and made me realize how important it is - how vital it is that we all try to make a difference, to heal this wounded planet. It's because of him that right now I am studying to become a social worker. He is amazing...he inspires me beyond belief. His generosity, his openness, his pure heart and love for people...that's what made me love Michael Jackson and I will always love him.
And then of course, the music! His art, his creativity, his genius, his poetry, his dance, that voice :wub:....everything. He's amazing. He goes beyond amazing. I am in so much awe...speechless. There really are no words.
When I found out that...well, what happened :cry: my heart broke and it is still breaking. It is the most painful thing I have ever had to go through, Not one day goes by where I don't ache for him and where I don't cry. I love and miss you so much Michael...

And...yes...Michael is THE sexiest man ever. I'm nineteen and I agree...he is sooo sexy as 50. He's just...ahhhhhhhhhhhhh :wub:

I am so there with you guys. Everything you said. Even down the fact that I've been buried in the Musical Theatre world since I was six. I really really think that was the main factor in my path just never crossing MJ and me not being exposed. I look back now and I'm like "How did I miss all this stuff that it seems the whole world knew?!" Well, I was too busy at rehearsals or too busy listening to Sondheim, too busy watching the Tonys (This year was the first time I'd ever seen the MTV awards, LoL). It sucks. I wish SO badly I'd been there for him and could have enjoyed him all those years, but it was honestly beyond my control. =/

However, Michael the person had my attention long before the King of Pop did. I never had any ill-feelings towards him, ever. I just didn't know much and I was just too busy, too wrapped up in my work/hobby to change that. I feel guilty, but I know it's not completely logical.

Last edited:
On 25th of July was on tv what MJ made since he was 5 years old and I fell in love for this. But his face and his ways made me think that he wasn't that person that media said. I looked at him and I see a sweet and giving person withtou no one say that! I just fell in love! And my interest on him started when I saw images of J5, I was crazy about that child!

"Fan of Michael the Man before Michael the Music" - Always.

Back