TII Film Editors Patterson & Key Sorted Through 140 Hours Of Tape (L.A. Times)

Marty In LA

Proud Member
Tim Patterson and Brandon Key told the Los Angeles Times newspaper they were only expecting the video shot from TII rehearsals to be for promotional uses and MJ's personal archives. Among the highlights of the article:

'...It was a simple, almost amateur production, since it wasn't intended at the time for anything more than promotional Internet videos and Jackson's private archives. Many important moments were shot by only one person and when the performers' body microphones were turned off, fuzzy sound was captured with a boom mike attached to the camera (thus the prevalence of subtitles in the finished picture).

"If we had known it was going to be a movie," said Patterson with a laugh, "we would have shot with nine or 12 cameras and gotten coverage on everything..."

'...Patterson and Key worked with Don Brochu, who edited director Kenny Ortega's "High School Musical 3: Senior Year," to assemble a first cut of [TII] about two hours and 45 minutes -- 2 1/4 hours of performances and half an hour of discussions...'

'...As they made a film that had no script and on which the director had rarely paid attention to what was being shot, Patterson was in the incredibly unusual position of being the only person present who knew just what they had to work with.

"There were no tape numbers, nothing was logged; I just sort of knew what we had shot and about when," he said.

In the course of about a month, the duo worked seven-day weeks at Sony, clipping and tweaking their 2 3/4 -hour cut into the finished movie. To allay concerns over piracy, there was no Internet connection in the offices and only those with special passes were even allowed into the rooms where four editors and five assistants were putting together the movie, code-named "Industrial"...

'...There were debates and disagreements about what to include, but the editors pledge that, contrary to some rumors, nothing was deleted to make Jackson appear healthier than he was in the months leading up to his surprising death. The only question was how heavily to weight the film toward performance versus discussions...'

'...After a final version of the movie was done in mid-September, Patterson and Key went on to edit and shoot additional content for the DVD, which is expected to ship in January or February with several hours of new footage, including performances of songs such as "Stranger in Moscow" that didn't make the theatrical release...'

read full article at: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-patterson3-2009nov03,0,5784621.story

STRANGER IN MOSCOW??? Ow my god... I want this Blu-ray as soon as possible!

im in here screaming, im such a kid , i cant wait to see the xtra footage. i love you michael and your editors also

She's Out Of My Life, Human Nature, I Just Can't Stop Loving You, and Stranger In Moscow. I never seen him do all those for one tour! Wonder if they'll add Will You Be There and Heaven Can Wait lol.

She's Out Of My Life, Human Nature, I Just Can't Stop Loving You, and Stranger In Moscow. I never seen him do all those for one tour! Wonder if they'll add Will You Be There and Heaven Can Wait lol.

Where did you read that MJ rehearsed She's Out Of My Life?

which number of hours is true ?

80 or 10 or 140 hours !!!

i just got a blue ray player so i will be buying tii on blue ray!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woooo hoooo!!!:wild:

Does this mean stranger in moscows definately gonna be on the dvd/bluray/whatever? I hope to god they've put on any and all footage of mj singing/dancing they have.

Back