Did Sony leak This Is It on purpose?

Dr3w

Proud Member
So now that the movie has leaked in full dvd quality, does anyone else not think it's strange timing....

The cynic in me thinks Sony did it so it had an excuse to get the release out before christmas.

Thoughts?

P.S. No I'm not linking anyone to the movie, don't bother pming me.

So now that the movie has leaked in full dvd quality, does anyone else not think it's strange timing....

The cynic in me thinks Sony did it so it had an excuse to get the release out before christmas.

Thoughts?

the movie leaked because of screeners. Many movies being considered for academy wards nomination are sent out to academy voters for their personal viewing.

They ALWAYS end up online.

Precious was leaked on tuesday. I expect Avatar to come out very soon.

There is a week left before xmas, and ONLY 6 shopping days left, when do you think Sony would have time to ship the DVDs to the stores for customers?
And what excuse? They are obligated to respect theatre owners rule NOT to release the movie so soon after the movie stopped playing in theatres. Leak or not, Sony has to respect the rule.
Again, what do they have to gain by leaking their own movie a full month before DVD release?

WHYYY did you have to say this!!!! Now I know it's online and I can not help myself downloading it, because I want to see this so bad again!

the movie leaked because of screeners. Many movies being considered for academy wards nomination are sent out to academy voters for their personal viewing.

There is a week left before xmas, and ONLY 6 shopping days left, when do you think Sony would have time to ship the DVDs to the stores for customers?
And what excuse? They are obligated to respect theatre owners rule NOT to release the movie so soon after the movie stopped playing in theatres. Leak or not, Sony has to respect the rule.
Again, what do they have to gain by leaking their own movie a full month before DVD release?
This isn't a screener, it's a rip from the actual dvd.

Precious leaked on the 26th of November, that was a screener. You can tell by the blurry block at the bottom of the screen where the person's name or identifying number is displayed.

The fact that it has leaked now means they can legitimately sell the dvd sooner regardless of the NON BINDING agreement they have with theatre owners.

6 shoppping days until xmas, you wonder how they could find the time to print and distribute the movie in time? Easy. It's already printed and stocked in warehouses.

What do they have to gain by leaking their own movie? Momentum.

You don't think record companies have leaked singles or albums on purpose before?

But anyway, I guess we'll see in the next week if they'll bring forward the release date...

Last edited:
No, never, do you think they really want to lose a LOT of money because this?...nah, never!

people always ask that question, but that doesn't stop some people on the job from uhm...breaking barriers, cus they don't go, uhm...by the rules. people get fired, everyday, from their jobs, for breaking company policy. there's a lot of people who make promises, and then, break them.

It is NOT going to be easy to resist downloading this.

I mean, I already have my pre-order down for the blu ray, so I wouldn't exactly be pirating the film. Just seeing it early.

*resists*

I very much doubt Sony would have leaked this. They'd lose too much money out of if and there isn't exactly that long to wait until the Blu Ray/DVD is released. It seems rather pointless of them to leak it. Lots of DVD quality releases get leaked now, its not just TII that has been affected by it.

Why would Sony risk losing money???

:rolleyes: C'mon people.... It's common sense... Corporations were made to create more money...

No, never, do you think they really want to lose a LOT of money because this?...nah, never!

But do you really think they lose a lot money though?!

Maybe it's me that it's being naive - but I truly believe that those who intend to buy the DVD will do it no matter when it gets leaked.

And I mean, the people that never were gonna pay for it won't buy it no matter when it gets leaked.

I'm not really sure if there's ever been anything I've not bought because I've downloaded, yet I can name numerous things I've downloaded before buying (like This Is It, for instance).

So I agree. Yes, people who may not be buying this movie will now get to see it, but is it actually costing the studio money? And if it is, is it nearly as much as they like to pretend?

I'm not really sure if there's ever been anything I've not bought
I, on the other hand, must have illegally downloaded at least $100,000-worth of music, professional audio apps, and eBooks over the past 7 or 8 years and not 'reimbursed' it in a legal manner as you have.

I am the more common species between the two of us. Illegal downloads cannot really be underestimated on how much they've damaged multiple industries.

I, on the other hand, must have illegally downloaded at least $100,000-worth of music, professional audio apps, and eBooks over the past 7 or 8 years and not 'reimbursed' it in a legal manner as you have.

I am the more common species between the two of us. Illegal downloads cannot really be underestimated on how much they've damaged multiple industries.

I misphrased...

What I mean is that, at least as far as music and movies go, there are few things I download that I would have felt compelled to buy, and most likely never would have. When I buy something I have downloaded, its not to right a wrong or anything, but simply because I've felt compelled to.

i was reading the comments and my take on the situation is this, ppl are happy for the dvd quality download of michael jackson cuz they are taking too long to put out the DVD, they will not lose much because real fans will buy the dvd for the extra scenes and things that are in the DVD, i know i will so in the mean time you can still watch him over and over until then. i for one love him and can watch him over and over forever. i definitely am buying the DVD and plan on wearing it out.

I admit, I downloaded it since I'm buying the DVD no matter what. What can I say? It was wonderful and emotional to see IT again. Let me explain: my city have only one cinema and it was not going to show TII since it's not a 'big city'. A few days before december, I'm just passing by the cinema with a few friends and OMG. THIS IS IT ON FRIDAY (it was wednesday when that happened). There it was, that poster.

So, yup, there I was, with my "fan uniform", 1 hour before the movie actually started, on the cinema. It was wonderful as I thought I would be the only real fan there and I actually met another fan, a girl. We laughed together, we cried together, we sang together. It was wonderful.
And then I planned to see it again the next week, I was really looking forward. Know what happened? The movie wasn't on the cinema anymore. Yup, less then a week being shown. I cried, because Human Nature just wouldn't go out of my mind and I lost the credits (they cut it off when I watched, then I complained about it and I guess they learned the leason, as I made them aware of more being shown after credits) and, heck, I just needed to watch it one more time.

So, yeah, it was emotional, though this DVDRip seems to be mono on my PC for some reason and I can't hear the interviews and some of the sound? At least the music is untouched. Wonderful. Looking forward for the bonus stuff.

would it shock or surprise me? nope and sony has already made it's money back and the Dvd sales and also the soundtrack are just gravy as the money continues rolling in hand over fist.

So, yeah, it was emotional, though this DVDRip seems to be mono on my PC for some reason and I can't hear the interviews and some of the sound? At least the music is untouched. Wonderful. Looking forward for the bonus stuff.

It's in 5.1, your pc might not be able to handle it, mine didn't lol

Luckily I have a sony surround system and LCD and PS3 :)

This isn't a screener, it's a rip from the actual dvd.

Precious leaked on the 26th of November, that was a screener. You can tell by the blurry block at the bottom of the screen where the person's name or identifying number is displayed.

The fact that it has leaked now means they can legitimately sell the dvd sooner regardless of the NON BINDING agreement they have with theatre owners.NO THEY CAN'T. THEY STILL HAVE A BINDING AGREEMENT IN PLACE...UNLESS THEY DON'T CARE IF THEATRE OWNERS BOYCOTT THEIR NEXT MOVIE...OR GET SUED FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT.

6 shoppping days until xmas, you wonder how they could find the time to print and distribute the movie in time? Easy. It's already printed and stocked in warehouses.

What do they have to gain by leaking their own movie? Momentum. HUH????

You don't think record companies have leaked singles or albums on purpose before?

But anyway, I guess we'll see in the next week if they'll bring forward the release date...

If Kraken cannot get pre-ordered opuses to customers in 120 days, I highly doubt Sony will get the DVDS at the stores in 5 days. Especially with the big snow storm we are having on the east cost and elsewhere in Europe.

And you cannot disregard a binding contract...unless you want to get sued.

I would like to download but WON'T. I want to enjoy the buildup to the release of the DVD.

Thoughts?

* Why would Sony need an "excuse" to release it before Christmas when it's their decision anyway?

* Sony wanted to release it after the holidays to take advantage of the billion-dollar gift-card opportunity that arises after the holidays. Sony is a business, so I don't see any advantage to ripping a movie that they paid millions for so that people could watch for free. If they thought releasing it before Christmas would have made them more money, they would have. I'm sure they hired marketers and researchers who found it would have been more lucrative to release it after Xmas.

* Most-all movies have the DVD-rip somehow leaked before they're released, so I don't see a reason to single out TII.

* Even before the DVD-leak, somehow "screeners" get leaked, basically advance, near-perfect copies of the movie only meant for industry-insiders to watch.

I would like to download but WON'T. I want to enjoy the buildup to the release of the DVD.
That's a good thought :yes:

As far as downloading; I download most of my music and movies...simply because I don't have the money to buy movies on DVD most the time. I do buy dvd's or music however if I really love someone's work. I buy Sandra Bullock movies on DVD (because I'm a fan :D) and I bought all the Jacksons' stuff (of course).

I know several people who have downloaded This Is It and watched it several times. I personally have no interest in illegally downloading movies. With my connection it would take 5-6 hours or more so it's not worth it. I will just wait until it hits stores in January.

OMG you need to be careful what you say on the net. Admitting things like that is never a good idea!

Does the leaked version contain the subtitles when Mike is talking quietly? He's really difficult to hear sometimes and the sub really help.

Back