Paul Anka iv Tel Aviv feat. This Is It

Ok... I admit that my first thought is WHAT???
I have always liked the music of Paul Anka, really, but the way he did to MJ, "joking" he had been stolen this song, and doing all that mess at TMZ, etc, that I got completely dissapointed by him.

I admit I like this version... but when MJ's voice came out... I was really like OMG!!! I didn't expected... I feared it... but I didn't expected. To be honest, my first thought is I like it, but again... "This is it" brings only pain to me, for it reminds me of what Sony tried to do to us, what they did to MJ, how Paul Anka gave the world reasons to doubt MJ's honor in a field that is absolutely BEYOND any doubts: music.

So I don't know... Geeezzzz.... I no longer know a thing, this is just surprise after surprise...

I love the band playing during Michael's singing.

Minus Paul, this is fantastic! The band are great and his vocals are so much clearer and modern; all the words you couldn't make out in the original, which sounds like a demo, are so crisp.

Wow, that last part was an awesome surprise. I was about to fall asleep during Paul's part. I know it was supposed to be melancholy because it was meant as a tribute but the faster tempo band accompaniment to Michael's vocals was great.

Regardless of him co-writing the song, Anka singing this is pure torture to every healthy ear. Michael sounds great, his voice really lit this song up.

Thanks, I enjoyed that. Paul's portion was melancholy, almost reflecting the painful poignancy that "this is it", the goodbye. And the band and uptempo really brought a different pleasing quality to Michael's portion.

Very well done, imo. I'm from Paul Anka's generation of music as well as Michael's, so I have no qualms with Paul's voice as such, but Michael added that certain very special something to the song.

LOL. At all the comments. Paul Anka should be ashamed of the false statements he made about MJ stealing this song. He never authorized usage of the song for the CD or the movie. That was all Sony's doing. He should be glad a "has been" like him had a minor comeback of sorts. After hearing him sing, he should have stayed in hiding. However, anything Michael sings makes my heart flutter. If it weren't for him, this song would still be gathering cobwebs. :yuck:

here is a lesson in believing in something, and not just writing it. you're not a real songwriter unless you believe in what you write. and Anka forgot that song for twenty six years. and now that MJ made something out of it, Anka brings it up again? after the movie made two hundred million at the box office? Anka didn't treat the song right, so no one took notice when he handled it. MJ treated it right, like he does everything else..and it got noticed. i don't like Anka's version, and i'm not saying this just because i'm an MJ fan. i'm saying it, cus Anka drags it, makes it depressing, makes it hard to listen to, makes it too long..and i dont like the band version. i prefer the motown like version MJ does. and i much prefer MJ's voice over Anka's, and i much prefer the song to be a solo and not a duet. Anka wanted a duet.. MJ sounds much better, solo. obviously, MJ knew what to do with the song. so he was right to make his own version. Anka was right to let the song go, cus he didn't do anything for it. and i can hear the audience in the background mentioning MJ's name, and prefering MJ to Anka. that lazy applause at the end was for Anka..the surprise of hearing MJ's voice made the audience sit up, in spirit. while they were sounding totally without spirit as Anka dragged on. Anka was right to mention MJ's name...that's who i prefer.

I do not like Anka's part at all. First of all the lyrics is different, because MJ changed it. It sounds like two different songs imo. I dunno what Anka is trying to make out of it?

Last edited:
It rocks! I don't know true issues between MJ and Paul Anka, but this performance rocks and I don't see Paul Anka as bad guy here. :)

respect to Anka, is my meaning..
He released MJ's demo version, and he payed tribute to Michael, not only him singing the song.

Mike can do one thing that a lot of artists cannot. Put emotion into a song. Anyone can sing a song-its putting emotion into it that's the tricky part.

I think this demo recording was on a TV Show with Paul Anka a while ago. It was an acapella

Ok... I admit that my first thought is WHAT???
I have always liked the music of Paul Anka, really, but the way he did to MJ, "joking" he had been stolen this song, and doing all that mess at TMZ, etc, that I got completely dissapointed by him.

Same here. I respected him, I'm "old music" lover.. but, he called Michael a thief. He accused Michael of stealing tapes and stealing the song. Well, we all know what happened he caused the unnecessary drama and it was all over the tabloids… Everything was $ony's fault, but he keeped talking abt Michael the thief ...... :doh:

LOL. At all the comments. Paul Anka should be ashamed of the false statements he made about MJ stealing this song. He never authorized usage of the song for the CD or the movie. That was all Sony's doing. He should be glad a "has been" like him had a minor comeback of sorts. After hearing him sing, he should have stayed in hiding. However, anything Michael sings makes my heart flutter. If it weren't for him, this song would still be gathering cobwebs. :yuck:

Exactly!

It rocks! I don't know true issues between MJ and Paul Anka, but this performance rocks and I don't see Paul Anka as bad guy here. :)

Anka didn't have issues with Michael. Sony published song without crediting Anka. Michael & Anka co wrote the song, and Michael never meant to record it. They gave the song to Safire 1991. Michael’s version is unfinished and it’s a demo.

Sony chose to put the song in the film & soundtrack because of the "This is it" part in it. $ony didn't have the rights to do that without crediting authors, but Anka accused Michael of stealing the song, not Sony, and he was all over the news calling Michael a liar and a thief. Tabloids love it! He was very rude and disrespectful. He was on TV telling it’s his song! Not theirs! He said he wrote the whole song!

Ditto!...ANY Song Mike does, be it Come together, or TII or Killing me softly...sounds amazing...

I like this one too... I guess...:scratch:

Thanks!

L.O.V.E.
Romi

Are you saying that there is a recording of MJ singing 'killing me softly'! where can I hear that?

I have always liked Paul Anka but what he has done to this song is painful, awful and sucks eggs. The "duet" is pitiful with Michael soaring and Anka seemingly trying to stick a few words in here and there to get credit.

If killing a song is not a crime then it should be.:puke:

Back