Michael Jackson Wanted To Collaborate With Lady Gaga

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
It could have been one of the most bizarre musical hookups in pop history. According to a new interview with Michael Jackson's choreographer, Travis Payne, the late King of Pop was a big fan of Lady Gaga and had tried to set up a meeting to discuss a possible joint project.

The revelation comes from a video posted on December 30 on YouTube by Amsterdam-based producer/actor Raffles van Exel, who asks Payne which artists MJ was interested in collaborating with before his death last June.

"I gave him a short wish list [of possible collaborators] ... and he was like, 'Sure, they can all come, as long as their schedules permit and it's not too much of a problem for them,' " Payne said of Jackson's humble response to a suggestion that he reach out to other artists to work with him on his This Is It series of shows in London. "Of course, I suggested Janet, of course Whitney Houston. ... Diana Ross and Mariah Carey we talked about. We talked about Missy Elliott. We talked about Usher, of course. We talked about Justin [Timberlake], Celine Dion ... Sting, Seal, Bono, Tina Turner. We talked about all these people that I thought were cool but that he liked."

Then, Payne said he asked Jackson if there was anyone else he wanted to reach out to. "He goes, 'Lady Gaga.' I go, 'Really?' He goes, 'Yeah.' He's the one who really got me to get into her. He literally told me, 'You gotta get into her. She's good.' So, I started listening to her music more and going on YouTube and looking at her performances, and I was like, 'He's right.' "

Payne did not specify in the video when these conversations took place. He said that last November, he got a call from Lady Gaga and told her the story about the conversation with Jackson. "She got moved by it," he recalled. A spokesperson for Gaga could not be reached for comment about Payne's claims.

Michael Jackson Wanted To Collaborate With Lady Gaga - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News

thanks for this! My bf just asked me the other day if I thought that Michael was into Lady Gaga at all..I honestly didn't know....I really do like her music though, at least she's different....

hm..I dislike Gaga. agh..Michael is too nice to not to say no, lol.

this doesn't surprise me at all. To me it was obvious he would like her, as what she does is so up his street, they would have probably done a dance collab, which would no doubt have been out of this world with an incredible video. It's all so sad

I don't really like her either. She is not a great dancer or singer and I find her performances repulsive and unoriginal. She tries soo hard that she just falls flat for me. And when you start out at 10 in controversy, there's no where to go to sustain yourself. people get bored. Or you're trying to constantly outdo yourself. I don't really like artists who have to constantly rely on a gimmick. (although I did like her first two songs and have them).

That being said, I think MJ has this really great gift of elevating the work of those whom he collaborates with. so who knows.

Last edited:
I think that whnever Michael made an album he would always leave the door open for anyone to contribute to it.

A true genius will use their own ideas and a true genius will also be humble enough to take ideas/suggestions/inspirition from others

I don't really like her either. She is not a great dancer or singer and I find her performances repulsive and unoriginal. She tries soo hard that she just falls flat for me. And when you start out at 10 in controversy, there's no where to go to sustain yourself. people get bored. Or you're trying to constantly outdo yourself. I don't really like artists who have to constantly rely on a gimmick. (although I did like her first two songs and have them).

That being said, I think MJ has this really great gift of elevating the work of those who he collaborates with. so who knows.
*agree*

That would have been so interesting. I'm not that into Gaga...I have The Fame Monster, I got it as a gift at Christmas and keep meaning to give it a listen. I just get the feeling she's missing something and I don't know what. I think working with Michael would be an awesome thing for her.

I don't mind Lady Gaga at all, I'm not much into her but Michael wanted to work with her, that would've been awesome.

That being said, I think MJ has this really great gift of elevating the work of those whom he collaborates with. so who knows.
I agree. She's sort of an in-the-moment performer right now. And she's not as original as she'd have you believe, but I have to admit I like hearing her songs for now, kind of a break from the other redundant acts. She won't last long though.

As for MJ desiring a collab with her, I'm not suprised. He wanted to do a duet with Madonna, why not Gaga? LoL. I'm not too fond of the idea, but I honestly think they'd make a great hit together.

Working with Michael would have been amazing for any artist. He's the king, any artist would give anything to work with him. I'm not that into her, a lot of it I find just controversy for the sake of controversy, but it would have been interesting to say the least.

Michael wanted to work with her, he was asking for her not vice versa.
That would have been amazing.

i think it would have been a good collaboration.

OMG.

Lady Gaga + Michael Jackson = PERFECT.

agree!

I think that whnever Michael made an album he would always leave the door open for anyone to contribute to it.

A true genius will use their own ideas and a true genius will also be humble enough to take ideas/suggestions/inspirition from others

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

i am not like over the top Gaga fan but she has grown on me. I didn't even know who she was until i saw her on VMA??? my first reaction was shock... what can i say .... she is growing on me. :hysterical:

I like Lady Gaga, She has a different style and prospective to her, I think her and Michael would have made an awesome track together.

Noooooooooooo!! :( alll the good stuff will not happen anymore :'(

OMFG this would of been so AMAZING :cry:
I can't believe it
.. oh my god.
I wonder what Gaga songs Michael liked o_O
it's so upsetting that all this stuff he had planned for us....... aint gonna happen :(

It could have been one of the most bizarre musical hookups in pop history. According to a new interview with Michael Jackson's choreographer, Travis Payne, the late King of Pop was a big fan of Lady Gaga and had tried to set up a meeting to discuss a possible joint project.

The revelation comes from a video posted on December 30 on YouTube by Amsterdam-based producer/actor Raffles van Exel, who asks Payne which artists MJ was interested in collaborating with before his death last June.

"I gave him a short wish list [of possible collaborators] ... and he was like, 'Sure, they can all come, as long as their schedules permit and it's not too much of a problem for them,' " Payne said of Jackson's humble response to a suggestion that he reach out to other artists to work with him on his This Is It series of shows in London. "Of course, I suggested Janet, of course Whitney Houston. ... Diana Ross and Mariah Carey we talked about. We talked about Missy Elliott. We talked about Usher, of course. We talked about Justin [Timberlake], Celine Dion ... Sting, Seal, Bono, Tina Turner. We talked about all these people that I thought were cool but that he liked."

Then, Payne said he asked Jackson if there was anyone else he wanted to reach out to. "He goes, 'Lady Gaga.' I go, 'Really?' He goes, 'Yeah.' He's the one who really got me to get into her. He literally told me, 'You gotta get into her. She's good.' So, I started listening to her music more and going on YouTube and looking at her performances, and I was like, 'He's right.' "

Payne did not specify in the video when these conversations took place. He said that last November, he got a call from Lady Gaga and told her the story about the conversation with Jackson. "She got moved by it," he recalled. A spokesperson for Gaga could not be reached for comment about Payne's claims.

Michael Jackson Wanted To Collaborate With Lady Gaga - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News

I believe it. she's got that "it" factor Mike always was impressed by in musicians. she's original. he loved original.

Lady Gaga is not the first person on your mind when you think who Michael could have collaborated with, but in my opinion Lady Gaga + Michael Jackson collaboration would have been great! :yes:

Noooooooooooo!! :( alll the good stuff will not happen anymore :'(
Yeah :(

I'm not a big fan of Gaga but it would've been interesting to hear their collaboration. Michael always knew what and who was hot in music.

ulalaa! Lady Gaga's good and some people just take her at face value. The songs and videos have much deeper meaning I think. And she can belt it out like Aguilera as well and does interesting new arrangements for her songs with every performance.
Did not like her at first. For me she is a dance version of Marilyn Manson,and her video for "Bad Romance" has sequences with white modern thombs/coffins, which reminds those of "Thriller". Michael knew his business!

I heard Michael wanted to work with Adam Lambert too. It would have been an honor for any artist to work with our king. I love Lady Gaga too. Now all three of them together. That would have been epic :)

Wow!!!! I love Lady Gaga! She is very talented and has an amazing voice. But I can not imagine how it would be a duet between the two. They are so different and artistically. She is very exotic in their performances.

I also read somewhere that he bought her CD... Well, I simply hate her (music of course, I don't know her as a person and I don't want to), I can't stand listening to her 'songs'. It doesn't suprise me that Michael liked Gaga, maybe because there are more artists like Usher or Timberlake which I really dislike but MJ appreciated their work. Anyway, thank God there will never be Lady Gaga & Michael Jackson on the same stage or in the same studio. Little off topic: I would love to see (and hear) Michael & Katie Melua collaboration instead of Gaga!

I think he wanted to do something with her because she is so different. It’s actually the last person I would think he would pick but, that’s the reason it’s so great because it would have been a really big surprise to everyone. Michael was the biggest publicist for himself he always knew what to do, when to do it and how to do it best. He was always ahead of all and he always surprised us in the best way.

I also read somewhere that he bought her CD... Well, I simply hate her (music of course, I don't know her as a person and I don't want to), I can't stand listening to her 'songs'. It doesn't suprise me that Michael liked Gaga, maybe because there are more artists like Usher or Timberlake which I really dislike but MJ appreciated their work. Anyway, thank God there will never be Lady Gaga & Michael Jackson on the same stage or in the same studio. Little off topic: I would love to see (and hear) Michael & Katie Melua collaboration instead of Gaga!

I disagree. katie is too boring for Mike. musically speaking of course!

That would have been really intresting. I can't help but wonder how the music video would look like and of course what kind of song it would be...

I do however not like the idea of her working with Mike, because she pissed me off by making that stupid remark about Mike when she and some guy who interviewed her, were discussing about tattoos...

Don't like her at all and was shocked to hear Travis saying that, but then I started thinking....Michael probably saw that original factor in her, that 'I do my own thing' and interesting conceptual ideas, she just has something....something intriguing, and maybe he wanted to sort of help her getting the best out of herself. I can totally picture him thinking something like that. :lol:

Like, her whole thing about sex, shocking, over the top and all that....so not necessary.:smilerolleyes: But she DOES has the potential in her, if she would only do it right....and I can see how she could've gotten on that higher meaning path through help of Michael.

Back