Which is the better Thriller?

• Thriller

Votes: 89 77.4%
  • Thriller 25

Votes: 26 22.6%

• Total voters

Moonwalker91

Proud Member
Hey guys I just wanted to know which version is the better one, Thriller standart or 25? What do you think? Because I'm thinking about buying the 25 edition though I have the standart version

The Thriller Special Edition from 2001. Great remastering, nice bonus tracks, lovely packaging.

Thriller 25 is better suited to a digital download from iTunes.

Well the original cd version just has the 9 thriller songs..
Then the 2001 version has more behind the scenes and interviews and stuff
Then Thriller 25 has some remakes plus for all time

the original is fine coz it sounds better than the newer two, because of clipping/the loudness war.. don't know if you care about that but it's a factor.

I think the japanese deluxe version of thriller 25 should be the best, it has all 2001 special bonus demos and got the hots the unreleased track

I think the japanese deluxe version of thriller 25 should be the best, it has all 2001 special bonus demos and got the hots the unreleased track

true, but the Thriller 25 mastering isn't as good as the Special Edition. The SE's were overseen by Michael, Bruce Swedein (the original engineer) and Bernie Grundman (the original master-er, and an absolutely god)

well i have all, and the thriller 25th you got all the thriller 82 songs plus bonus remixes, so it may be better just for the remixes, but the best is the Thriller 25th 7 singles Japanese edition:D:D

Thriller 2001.

I actually ordered Thriller 25th deluxe edition just to have it. Waiting. hate the remixes though. UGH.

^^ the remixes arent that bad.. Beat It with Fergie is complete crap and P.Y.T. with Will.I.Am isn't that great either.

Thriller 25 was horrible and dont get me started on the remixes/covers/whatever.

the only remix that was tollerable was the Akon one.

And I *hate* Akon, so that's saying something...

Otherwise Thriller 25 was pretty crap. That said, the vinyl release is quite nice.

Im gonna have to go with Thriller25. Ignoring those 2nd-rate-remixes, we got a good version of For All Time (fave song..) Although it doesn't make much sense thats its on there since its a Dangerous outtake...

The Thriller Special Edition from 2001. Great remastering, nice bonus tracks, lovely packaging.

Thriller 25 is better suited to a digital download from iTunes.

Agree!
The old classic Thriller album is the best but because it is really old I prefer the Special Edition Version. But not because it's better, only because the sound quality is better - I don't care so much about the specials on it even tho' they're nice! :)

the only remix that was tollerable was the Akon one.

And I *hate* Akon, so that's saying something...

Otherwise Thriller 25 was pretty crap. That said, the vinyl release is quite nice.

hmm...I agree with u

I hope one day we'll get a new billie jean demo (etc this is it version), I really love when Michael sang "cuz the lie may became the ture, heeeeeeeeey"
hoho, you guys know what I mean? It (the"heeeeeeeeey") sounds like the Billie Jean from victory tour performances

hmm...I agree with u

I hope one day we'll get a new billie jean demo (etc this is it version), I really love when Michael sang "cuz the lie may became the ture, heeeeeeeeey"
hoho, you guys know what I mean? It (the"heeeeeeeeey") sounds like the Billie Jean from victory tour performances

i know exactly what you mean. that demo version is fantastic!

For the actual sound quality of Thriller, Thriller25 is the better album. Song wise the Thriller album beats Thriller25 hands down. I just hate all those crappy and pointless remixes, I never listen to them and occasionally only listen to the Akon version of Wanna Be Startin Somethin which I forward to only listen to Michael brief new 2008 vocal.

As a whole package I would have said the Thriller (Special Edition) was the best version, with the demos and Quincy Jones and Rod Temperton talking about Michael and the recording of Thriller. What let this version down, is that the middle instrumental bridge on Human Nature was changed, and wasn't as good as the original 1982 version. Thankfully the original mix of Human Nature was put back on Thriller25, but the remixes let the album down. I also don't understand why Japan got the previously unreleased song Got The Hots, and the UK and USA didn't !

If the remixes were any good, we could have a point. But it's just pure crap (and sorry for the language, but that's what it is). I can't understand how MJ accepted it, but... oh well.

So I guess I'll choose the original and/or 2001 SE.
PS.: Wait. The bridge in Human Nature was changed (SE)? I thought it was different in the original japanese pressing of the original album and not SE?

For the actual sound quality of Thriller, Thriller25 is the better album. Song wise the Thriller album beats Thriller25 hands down. I just hate all those crappy and pointless remixes, I never listen to them and occasionally only listen to the Akon version of Wanna Be Startin Somethin which I forward to only listen to Michael brief new 2008 vocal.

I didn't know that, interesting....I heard new...well actually added vocals on For all time.
Akon's voice is way too specific for me .

All mj fans must have Thriller original. And Thriller SE is the best (demo versions etc.). But if you want to have High quality of 4 videos; Thriller, Billie Jean, Billie Jean Motown's 25th Celebration, Beat It; Thriller 25 is better (but cover versions are sucks)

I've 4 versions of it; Thriller (I don't think it's first press) Thriller SE, 2 versions of Thriller 25.

Last edited:
All mj fans must have Thriller original. And Thriller SE is the best (demo versions etc.). But if you want to have High quality of 4 videos; Thriller, Billie Jean, Billie Jean Motown's 25th Celebration, Beat It; Thriller 25 is better (but cover versions are sucks)

I've 4 versions of it; Thriller (I don't think it's first press) Thriller SE, 2 versions of Thriller 25.

I have the Thriller 25 DVD. Out of curiosity, does it offer the best quality for the Thriller, Billie Jean, Beat it and Motown 25 videos we've ever got?

Yes, these are better than on other DVDs. Check this; first one is from History On Film, other is from Thriller25; (thriller 25 is in NTSC format, no PAL format) Thriller 25 is more sharpen and has more details.

2lca6ti.png

1fgxkx.png

Last edited:
Yup, I am quite sure it does... It would just be so much better if we once get all Michaels videos released in 16:9... i don't get why realising all short movies in 4:3 on DVD's, since most people have plasmas, LCDs...

Yes, these are better than on other DVDs. Check this; first one is from History On Film, other is from Thriller25; (thriller 25 is in NTSC format, no PAL format) Thriller 25 is more sharpen and has more details.

Awesome, just as I thought.

I think Blu Ray releases of the short films are imminent. As long as everyone buys a This is It Blu Ray!

Back