Thread: Michael Jackson's Hat at the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 312 Posts

Default Michael Jackson's Hat at the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

Lonnie Bunch, director of the National Museum of African American History and Culture, has been traveling the country - and the globe - and gathering new acquisitions for the museum, which is slated to open in Washington, DC in 2015. New pieces include Michael Jackson's fedora and a pair of middle passage shackles.

Michael Jackson's Victory Tour black fedora with an interior, black leather hat band stamped "By Maddest Hatter … Made expressly for Michael Jackson … 100 percent genuine fur." The hat was caught by an audience member attending the July 31, 1984 Jackson concert at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

It's felt, black, wide-brimmed and one of the most iconic hats in history. On a recent afternoon inside an NPR studio, Michael Jackson's fedora was carefully removed from a box by two museum handlers and displayed on a mat.

The hat is part of the growing collection of artifacts that will make up the permanent collection at the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

In five years, the museum is set to open up on the National Mall, just under the shadow of the Washington Monument.

It will become the latest Smithsonian museum and the first national museum to celebrate the legacy of Americans of African descent.

Lonnie Bunch is the executive director and museum curator. Much of his time is now spent traveling the country — and the world —searching for artifacts to tell the story of Africans in America.

Bunch stopped by NPR headquarters for a little show-and-tell. Along with Jackson's fedora, Bunch managed to find a powderhorn used by a freed slave named Prince Simbo, who fought with the Connecticut line during the Revolutionary War.

"It really speaks volumes about the commitment of African-Americans to liberty." Bunch told NPR's Guy Raz that not much is known about Simbo, but he clearly saw battle during the war, because he was rewarded after the revolution.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2010/03/06/...ums-new-finds/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 544 Posts

Default Re: Michael Jackson's Hat at the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

"Just Another Part of Michael Jackson".
    God, I thank you for allowing Michael to continue to watch over his children:
    Prince Michael, Paris, and Blanket.

​​​​

Thanks

Default Re: Michael Jackson's Hat at the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

Thank you for posting! I am glad that MJ memorabilia will have homes at important American history museums.

Rest in peace, Michael. May justice prevail and set you free in this chaotic world we live in.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 866 Posts

This is great news although me,personally being so sentimental..I couldn't part with the hat,if it were me that would have caught the fedora that concert.
    ....( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ ) нєαℓ тнє ωσяℓ∂
    ~*Your Love Is Magical*~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

omg thats is so great I want that mj hat!

Thanks

Great news. Thanks for posting.
    He had an incredible amount of love to give and not enough people to give it to.
    I love you, Michael.
    "That was all thanks to my dad. He raised me right." - "Prince" Michael Jackson Jr.
    For those who asked: I don't have a twitter or a facebook

Thanks

How Lucky to catch Michael Jacksons hat! Id wear it everyday lol

Thats great!