Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings

DuranDuran

Proud Member
For the past few years Sharon Jones has been performing traditional R&B, soul, and funk with her band The Dap Kings. Here's a song from their just released new album.
[youtube]3cckkzRDBAo[/youtube]

Last edited:
Here's a couple more tunes.
[youtube]SSvGm-S-1og&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]EB69Ij5X6AE&fmt=18[/youtube]

[youtube]7KIf4PO_AZc&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]618tbfXHapg&fmt=18[/youtube]

I recently found out about her and have been listening to "Money". I hope to find some time to listen to her albums to see what to add to my collection.

2016 documentary trailer

tumblr_oajgtandqw1rw606ko1_1280.jpg

Jason Newman | Nov. 18, 2016 | Rolling Stone
sharon-jones-dead-715a96a9-20c9-472c-a9ca-38532860a04c.jpg

Sharon Jones, the fiery soul singer who spent decades in obscurity before becoming a Grammy-nominated soul and funk vocalist with her longtime backing band the Dap-Kings, died on Friday of pancreatic cancer. She was 60.

"We are deeply saddened to announce that Sharon Jones has passed away after a heroic battle against pancreatic cancer," the singer's rep wrote in a statement. "She was surrounded by her loved ones, including the Dap-Kings."

Doctors diagnosed Jones with stage two pancreatic cancer in 2013 and removed the singer's gallbladder, the head of her pancreas and 18 inches of her small intestine. She went into remission nine months later, but announced that the cancer had returned at the premiere of Miss Sharon Jones!, a documentary detailing Jones' life and career. The cancer would be elevated to stage four, with tumors spreading to her lung, liver and lymph nodes.

Jones recorded seven albums with the Dap-Kings, but it was her exhilarating live shows, which functioned as equal parts Baptist church revival, Saturday night juke joint and raucous 1970s Las Vegas revue, that showcased the singer's unparalleled energy. In venues filled with people half her age, Jones was the most dynamic person in the room, bolting onstage and commanding the crowd like her idol James Brown. It was homage without mimicry; respecting the soul and funk elders that defined the genres while displaying seemingly boundless vitality. Jones' power was the ability to straddle the line between thankful humility, born out of late-in-life success, and boastful performer.

"I'm not trying to ride anybody’s coattails," the singer said in 2008. "I'm just doing my thing and people are coming to us."

Sharon Lafaye Jones was born May 4th, 1956 in Augusta, GA. The youngest of six kids, she discovered her love for the stage as a child. Her mother moved the family from Augusta to Brooklyn to escape her abusive husband, and it was there that Jones began singing in church with her sister Willa.

Jones started numerous funk groups in the 1970s, earning extra money by performing in wedding bands and singing gospel music. But for decades, she had trouble breaking in to the industry.

"I wasn't what they was looking for," she told Rolling Stone earlier this year. "They just looked at me and they didn’t like what they saw: a short, black woman."

As documented in Miss Sharon Jones!, a record producer told the singer in the 1990s that she was "too fat, too black, too short and too old." "I looked at myself and saw ugliness," she said in the film.

She retreated from music for a few years, taking various jobs that included two years as a corrections officer at Rikers Island prison. The job was a harbinger of her onstage persona: Commanding, fierce and demanding respect.

In 1996, Gabriel Roth, current Dap-Kings bandleader and head of now-defunct funk label Desco Records, needed a back-up singer for various Desco artists. Jones would record numerous songs as a back-up singer for the label and release "Damn It's Hot," her first song as a frontwoman.
[video=youtube;Wm4Uko1FV50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm4Uko1FV50[/video]
After the dissolution of Desco, Roth, alongside saxophonist Neal Sugarman, recruited Jones and the Dap-Kings to record their debut album Dap Dippin' With Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings on what would become Daptone Records. They recorded in a Williamsburg basement, selling copies out of Sugarman's kitchen in Brooklyn. (Jones would help Roth build the label's permanent studio-cum-headquarters in 2002, handling the electrical wiring herself.)

Jones and the Dap-Kings released a series of increasingly popular, horn-anchored soul and funk albums, including 2005's Naturally, 2007's 100 Days, 100 Nights and 2010's I Learned the Hard Way. The group continued to record and tour constantly, watching their crowds grow as Jones' roaring voice, frenetic energy and gregarious personality surpassed the initial "female James Brown" comparisons.

In 2012, the group began recording their sixth album, Give the People What They Want, which would eventually earn Jones her first Grammy nomination for Best R&B Album. The next year, she entered a hospital in Augusta, Georgia with yellow eyes, severe itching and rapid weight loss. The cancer diagnosis was swift and unimaginable. "I just started crying," Jones told Rolling Stone. "All kinds of thoughts went through my head because I figured that I was going to die."

Jones continued to perform when possible, using the stage as therapy. "When I walk out [onstage], whatever pain is gone," Jones said. "You forget about everything. There is no cancer. There is no sickness. You're just floating, looking in their faces and hearing them scream. That's all that is to me."

The group's last album, It's a Holiday Soul Party, was released in 2015. Speaking to Rolling Stone earlier this year, Jones expressed interest in recording a gospel album with the Dap-Kings, repeating her mantra, "I have cancer; cancer don't have me."

Jones' rep wrote in a statement that donations may be made to The Lustgarten Foundation, James Brown Family Foundation and Little Kids Rock.

Hall & Oates

We all mourn the passing of Sharon Jones...I had the pleasure of getting to know her and her great band the Dap Kings during this past year of touring. Even though she struggled with her illness she never failed to go on stage every night radiating privilege positive energy, her voice and personality gave no indication of how much she was suffering inside...the ultimate example of a true professional and the power of the human spirit. It was my honor and privilege to share the stage with her. Her music will live on. A photo posted by John Oates (@johnoatesofficial) on Nov 19, 2016 at 10:45am PST

34large-sharonjonespromo.jpg

Daryl Hall - Sharon Jones was one of the most unique people I have ever known...all her emotions were right out there for everyone to see, no hiding for her! Her story is one of sadness , triumph, and extreme irony, having been treated badly by the music world, finding success in an unlikely time of her life, and then faced with an ultimate challenge that in the end, was bigger even than her. Her last tour was an extensive one with me and John, and every nite I marveled at her ability to get out there and put on a phenomenal show, even tho' she was hurting. It is a testament to the power of soul and strength of will. She just used to say" this is what keeps me going". I am going to miss her...she is irreplaceable!

My local news announced her passing yesterday and then I saw Duran's post last night-I'm ashamed to say it, but I don't think I had ever heard of her-I'm checking out the videos that have been posted-what an absolute ball of energy and her band is great too.

What a hard life and being treated so badly by the music industry-but that's the real life of it-but it's obvious that her audiences and other musicians adore her just by what I've seen so far.

Did that movie ever come out?

I only got into her last year. Really great. Sorry I never went to see her & the band in Copenhagen when I had the chance.

Back