View Poll Results: Is Invincible as Good as previous MJ's Albums...

Voters
287. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

188 65.51%
  • NO

99 34.49%
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Is "Invincible" as good as previous MJ's Albums ?

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Is "Invincible" as good as previous MJ's Albums ?

yes, it is!

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

'invincible' has a light that his 90's albums lack (for obvious reasons). so in that respect, I actually think it's better. I don't think it's classic in the sense that 'thriller' is (what is? lol), but it's still decent.

in revisiting it, the pacing is a lot better than I remember. in my mind, it was always 'the 3 fast songs at the beginning, and the rest is slow until threatened'.

it has a bit of everything from Michael's past catalogue; 'butterflies' always reminded me of 'I can't help it'. the anger and aggression from the 90's work carries over to 'unbreakable' and 'privacy'. 'threatened' was always intended to be a sequel to 'thriller'. I see 'whatever happens' as a somewhat lighter version of 'who is it' in terms of tone, not content. my favourite cut 'you rock my world', has a similar structure and feel to 'remember the time'. 'cry' and 'the lost children' are the mandatory humanitarian songs. Michael has been using rappers since 'dangerous'. yet there's room for innovation with dance experimentals '2000 watts' and 'heartbreaker'. the latter continues the long thread of distrust towards women. 'break of dawn' takes 'lady in my life' to such a level that it's explicit!

Michael's vocal range on this album is wide. it's clear that he's matured in many areas, yet there are times when he sounds just as youthful in his 40's as he did in his 20's ('speechless' and 'you rock my world'). I do miss hearing him do all of his background vocals though. 'heaven can wait' sounded a bit anoymous as a result. he also sounded a bit congested on some tracks to me, as if he was having problems breathing

as some have already mentioned, I think one of the main issues is length; the number of tracks and how long they are. even the radio edit of 'you rock my world' tends to go on for a bit for me. I don't think a song should overstay its welcome. then again, I'm not an albums person..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael's Essence For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Invincible to me has more in common with the posthumous albums than with Michael's previous albums.

I mean I'm all for reinventing and giving the listener something new but I feel Michael lost sight of what his listener wanted, which was that Michael sound.
    I totally agree about the background vocals, I miss them so much. It just doesn't feel the same.
    It's nicer to see a return to his softer side in Break Of Dawn and Butterflies its a style that MJ slides into naturally.
    The only thing I miss more than his background vocals is his solo song writing talent, I understand why (raising his kids, which is much more important), but the album did suffer massively because of it.

There is good points with Invincible but there is not enough of them to be considered a classic Michael Jackson album for me

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

I am not of the opinion that a song has to be self written in order to be good. I judge a song based on; melody, lyrics and concept, vocals, production... most importantly, how it makes me feel. will I be listening for years to come? none of this is determined by who happened to write it. that might be an ego thing..

there are billions of people on this planet. how is Michael to cater to everyone's musical needs, and still stay true to who he is as an artist? this is where I feel that the 'king of pop' title trapped him. that started with 'dangerous' (not the crowning, but the acknowledgement). you just have to be honest, not only with the content, but the intentions for your career as a whole. people should gravitate towards truth.

I prefer the 'michael' album to 'xscape', 'invincible'.. and any album post 'thriller'. having said that, I think it's unfair to compare posthumous work to lifetime work. especially when decades old vocals are used for current releases.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

Invincible album isn't close to a 1.8. It's def. not *****'s A game but "You Rock My World" and "Butterflies" are pretty damn good.