Madonna and janet: Pop icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but Janet has always been only Michael Jackson´s younger sister.
Yes, she has 9 no.1 hits (I think), but its totally incomparable with Madonna´s impact on music and society.

Except Michael she is the only ICON of the 80s and 90s and the last decade.

You have to realize the meaning of the word ICON, its not like to say that U2 and Bono are Icons, or Elton John or Mariah Carey...

Janet tried, now she is out of interest...., I love her, but... its not enough to be MJs sister and to be an icon...

sorry, but janet has always been only michael jackson´s younger sister.
Yes, she has 9 no.1 hits (i think), but its totally incomparable with madonna´s impact on music and society.

Except michael she is the only icon of the 80s and 90s and the last decade.

You have to realize the meaning of the word icon, its not like to say that u2 and bono are icons, or elton john or mariah carey...

Janet tried, now she is out of interest...., i love her, but... Its not enough to be mjs sister and to be an icon...

but you would consider her (janet) a legend right?

I've always wondered about this what's the difference of being a legend and being an icon? I'M GUESSING ICON HAS MORE MEANING THAN LEGEND

Janet and Madonna are BOTH legends/icons..and I think that Janet is way more talented than Madonna..but Madonna is more iconic..

JAnet is no icon and certainly not a legend.

Exactly... she could be if she wasnt influenced by the Jackson Family (she could be more aggressive, more eccentric, more musically active , simply be herself), she can dance, she is beautiful... but her voice is so ... weak and soft...... damn.

but hey... she has her accomplishments and achievements... so... she deserves her status of superstar.

Madonna is far more ahead from Janet. I like some Janet's songs. I like her. She is smooth and sometimes she reminds me MJ.

I love a lot Madonna's song. She is the icon and will be the legend.

HEY GUYS, I'M NOT FAMILAR WITH ANY OF MADONNA WORK, BUT I KNOW THE LIKE A VIRGIN, LIKE A PRAYER AND OPE YOUR HEART TO ME SONG? SO TO MADONNA FANS WAS SHE THE FIRST FEMALE TO BE ON MTV AND BE THE FIRST SEX SYMBOL IS THAT WAY SHE IS CONSIDERED ICONIC, I'VE JUST RECENTLY LEARNED SHE IS THE BIGGEST SELLING FEMALE ARTIST OF ALL TIME, WHICH IS A MAGNIFICANT ACHEIVEMENT, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PARTICULAR CONTRIBUTIONS SHE DID THAT TRANSFORMED HER INTO THE FEMALE iCON

MY CLASSMATE RACHEL LOONEY SHE WON A ROLE IN THE NEXT SEASON OF glEE AND SHE SONG ONE OF MADONNA'S SONG FOR THE AUDTION

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with Janet being a legend.
I don't really think she's a legend.
Yeah, she has some AMAZING underrated songs but...
She does not come close to Madonna.

Madonna is AMAZING. She's started trends and has had so many great albums as well.
I love Madonna.

Madonna and...WHO???

lol

Seriously, there is no comparison. Madonna is Madonna. Janet is ... something like a singer.

LOL

I love how threatened MJ fans are of Janet :love:

I love the jokes you write.

LOL

Madonna maybe... but janet? A legend? nah, that word is getting passed out too softly. She' an icon yes, but not a legend.

Love Janet and Madonna :) they are both icons but madonna has been more influential to the music industry. Janet will always be Michael Jackson's little sister and i don't think she'd want it any other way but he became a respectable artist on her own and anyone in the industry would agree. The success she had wasn't a fluke.

Janet is no legend or Icon, her success was less than madonna's and MJ's always.
But Madonna... She is a legend when you talk of her 80s90s but what she is today... she is no longer a superstar of the kind she was, once she dropped the sex factor, she stopped being so intersting. of course you can say she's a legend, but it is because of her 8090 work, not because of the last 13 years.

so being a legend is better than being an icon?
hmmm very interesting question. A legend is always remembered because their story is told thru generations. An icon is someone recognizable for something. I think I'd rather be a legend.

Janet is no legend or Icon, her success was less than madonna's and MJ's always.
But Madonna... She is a legend when you talk of her 80s90s but what she is today... she is no longer a superstar of the kind she was, once she dropped the sex factor, she stopped being so intersting. of course you can say she's a legend, but it is because of her 8090 work, not because of the last 13 years.

I will admit Madonna doesn't have the same controversy factor she once had but she's still sold many albums worldwide and still produced hits the last decade and has broken records despite her age (Sticky & Sweet Tour is the #1 grossing tour of all time).

See, the thing is, like with MJ, he wasn't exactly doing what he used to do... but why should he of had to? He worked hard and made his spot. No one can take it away. Same with Madonna. MJ and Madonna proved themselves long ago and whether they were releasing albums or not, whether either ever had another hit, it didn't matter because no one can take away what they have done- the ground they broke or the barriers crossed. And with Madonna, she's still going strong and doing her thang at 51. More power to her! MJ and Madonna did it first and did it best. I hate it when people try to take away someones hard earned accomplishments and pass them off to some undeserving upstart. A legend is a legend. An icon is an icon.

As to whether Janet is a legend and/or icon... hmm. I don't know. She has certainly accomplished much and has many achievements but they simply don't stack against Madonna in the world of pop culture. Janet deserves props but to compare the two then the answer is obvious, so I'd rather just give Janet props because I'm a fan. I'm undecided.

I think that it has less to do with 'threatened' and more of just being honest. I like Janet a lot, but she's pretty small on the map. Madonna's made more of an impact worldwide than Janet has. This isn't an opinion. This is fact. Madonna is Madonna and Janet is, moreorless, known as Michael Jackson's little sister if she is known at all. It can't be helped.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with Janet being a legend.
I don't really think she's a legend.
Yeah, she has some AMAZING underrated songs but...
She does not come close to Madonna.

Madonna is AMAZING. She's started trends and has had so many great albums as well.
I love Madonna.

here is beyonce talking about madonna, i've researched some of her songs and i like the one glee performed

Ouch! the truth seems to always bother you on this board, talk about feeling threatened, check back with some of your fellow Janet fans. Janet was never in Madonna's league, she has accomplished much, but legend she never will be. She is Michael Jackson's sister to a lot of people. Think about it, after Michael passed and all the massive love and out pouring that was seen and continues to be seen around the world, the success of the This Is it movie, the Cirque deal, do any of you think it would be the same with Janet? I don't think so, hence, legend she is not. Madonna would be the other person to have such an impact.

Ouch! the truth seems to always bother you on this board, talk about feeling threatened, check back with some of your fellow Janet fans. Janet was never in Madonna's league, she has accomplished much, but legend she never will be. She is Michael Jackson's sister to a lot of people. Think about it, after Michael passed and all the massive love and out pouring that was seen and continues to be seen around the world, the success of the This Is it movie, the Cirque deal, do any of you think it would be the same with Janet? I don't think so, hence, legend she is not. Madonna would be the other person to have such an impact.
preach the truth

:hysterical:

Janet's peers considering her a legend >> your opinion.

Janet receiving legend and icon awards, Janet's 10 #1's on the Hot 100 chart, Janet's 16 #1's on the Hot R&B chart, Janet's 130-140 records sold, Janet's influence, Janet's sold out tours, Ch...Janet's name alone makes her a legend

[youtube]teQO6GxjEPo[/youtube]
[youtube]xw2PwANFNq8[/youtube]

That's all.

what the... what on earth brought MJ in this discussion?

For the record, I'm actually hesitant to even give the title "legend" to madonna, it isn't something that I give lightly. Janet is an icon, and she has put her fingerprints on music history regardless of who her brother was. She's a respectable artist and has achieved so much! But, to me at least, a legend only comes once in a lifetime... and so far there are no active acts that should be given this title. NONE of them make you go "ok.. now this is rare",

Neither one of them are what I would call "legends" They both didnt innovate anything or push musical genres. I wouldnt put them in the same category I would put Stevie, Marvin, Prince or MJ who are LEGENDS but I can maybe see how they might be consider icons but more so of "image" not really "music"

what the... what on earth brought MJ in this discussion?

For the record, I'm actually hesitant to even give the title "legend" to madonna, it isn't something that I give lightly. Janet is an icon, and she has put her fingerprints on music history regardless of who her brother was. She's a respectable artist and has achieved so much! But, to me at least, a legend only comes once in a lifetime... and so far there are no active acts that should be given this title. NONE of them make you go "ok.. now this is rare",

Its just an observation I made. Every time she's mentioned its chaos lol. Both Janet and Madonna are legends. 30+ years from now artists will still look up to them

Neither one of them are what I would call "legends" They both didnt innovate anything or push musical genres. I wouldnt put them in the same category I would put Stevie, Marvin, Prince or MJ who are LEGENDS but I can maybe see how they might be consider icons but more so of "image" not really "music"

Both Janet and Madonna did innovate with Pop music. Especially, Janet did with Pop and R&B. Janet's Control album helped innovate a genre of music! :lol:

and both are up there with Stevie, MJ and Prince. Hell, both are up there with Stevie and MJ on the most #1's list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back