Encountered racism?

twinklEE

Proud Member
Have you guys had experience with racism? I know theoretically it shouldn't exist in today's world but it still does. In some areas more in others less.
As a person of mixed race I have come in contact with a lot of forms of racism while growing up in Southern Germany.
Have you? And if where?

Not so much racism as rather unpleasant attitudes regarding my nationality. There are plenty of people who have prejudices instilled in them and in most cases there's really not much you can do about it other than just get on with your day...
In a way I'm glad I encountered it though, it was a valuable lesson to learn. Once you experience people looking down on you because of something you have no control over, that doesn't define who you are, you immediately get rid of your own misconceptions about others, you learn not to presume things...

Not so much racism as rather unpleasant attitudes regarding my nationality. There are plenty of people who have prejudices instilled in them and in most cases there's really not much you can do about it other than just get on with your day...
In a way I'm glad I encountered it though, it was a valuable lesson to learn. Once you experience people looking down on you because of something you have no control over, that doesn't define who you are, you immediately get rid of your own misconceptions about others, you learn not to presume things...

I get the same whenever I go down to England I always get people saying "Go Back to Scotland you Scottish prick" and what not I mean I am part English myself but i really don't think anything of it :yes:

Unfortunately so long as ignorance exist there is and will be racism and in many different forms.
I remember in high school (Washington, D.C), one evening after an event I attended with my boyfriend I waited as he was trying to take a taxi home. We must have stood there for at least 20 minutes with him trying to hail a taxi. No one would stop. Finally, I stepped in and he stood and hid. When a taxi finally stopped he thought twice but finally agreed to take him home.
Don't let me get started on my own experiences. I am biracial as well, so I understand where you are coming from.

Racism is very common in the NY, the supposed melting pot of all races. It makes for a melting pot of stereotypes. I've been followed around in stores. I have not been able to catch a taxi before. I've been approached by a man before who told me he liked "African" (he could hardly speak English so all he knew was African) and propositioned me because he thought black women were loose. (The nerve) and it is so stupid.
I HATE when other races think only of black people as being loud, ignorant and hypersexualized. They see black women as sex objects. It burns me up.

I have a funny story. I was riding in the car with a coworker (we are both black by the way) and we came to a stop light. On the corner was a black guy who was waiting to cross the street. When she saw him she locked her doors. The guy heard the doors lock and when he got about half way across the street he turned to her and said, "I don't want you B*@-h". I nearly died laughing at her.

I'll quote a blog post I made not long ago..

Confronted by a racist today...

It was marvellous.

We were coming back from the beach (twas an unusually beautiful day) on the metro and this old drunken fool was sitting in the front blabbering self-pity nonsense as two young soldiers in their uniforms came in from the next station.

He looked at me with my brown Arab features and correctly guessed that I was "Iraqi or Iranian or some other greasy country", then started lecturing me on how I should be proud of "his" soldiers fighting for "his" country against "my" people.

I laughed it off, but he got angry and then called me...

a black bastard.

I was ecstatic. "You think I'm black? Sorted!"

Greatest compliment I had received all week. And I literally am a bastard.

In short, yes I have experienced racism from a few black people that I go to school with. I am white and I love people of all races.

I dont think many people are racist it's like some of my mates and my dad tehy say racist things but then some of their best mates are black, i think anger just gets the better of people and they just say anything to offend people

"Out of the hearts abundance the mouth speaks"

Years ago my friends and I had a couple of black kids in school saying all sorts about how we enslaved them and all that.... but I was like hey, first off I didn't do anything to you. Those things happened a LONG time ago. And I also said that people shouldn't come to quick conclusions because some of my relations actually hid people that were trying to come north where they wouldn't be slaves.

I've been really lucky that I haven't copped much and my parents were both hippies so I was raised not to judge anyone that way from an early age. I don't understand racism or profiling or any of that. People are people no matter what color, race or country. I hate when people use race as a weapon to intentionally hurt someone else emotionally like that.

The only other thing I can think of pertaining to myself, is as an American, going to Australia for a year. Most everyone I met there was great but there were a few that right away dug in about my country and the stupid yanks, etc. I sort of made someone mad who said that because he was wearing an NYC shirt and walking around with an IPOD and I was like.... then give me our products back LOL! :p Most of the time what I encountered was a stereotyping of Americans like you get about everyone else too. That we all have bars on our windows and carry guns and listen to country & western and have a bible in our back pocket. It never really upset me much just made me laugh....like... you really believe that??! :p

Hugs to everyone in this thread that has really copped the racism though, I'm sorry so many people are ignorant creeps :hug:

yes i have. in all the grocery stores i go to, they save the guards for me, though i am a totally honest customer.

have had a hard time with employment, and the police have a special watch going on in my neighborhood, which has always been one of the most peaceful neighborhoods, before they started the watch. and i was arrested for no reason, except for my skin color. i am in los angeles.

This thread is sad..I am so sorry for all those who have been discriminated against simply because of the color of your skin. That is terrible. I am white..I was born in a very poor part of town that was primarily black...I grew up going to mix raced schools my whole life. What I learned is that it doesn't matter where you were born or the color of your skin...there is something to be learned from everyone. Regardless of race or color, My children have been raised in a better part of the state...they share classes with other students from all walks of life...and I am proud to say..Neither one of them have a raciest bone in their bodies...for this I am proud.

Prejudice due to ethnicity, yes. I am half Armenian and a few years ago had a roommate who was Turkish. His girlfriend mentioned that he hated Armenians, in front of him, and I didn't say I was Armenian. It was so awkward and such a horrible feeling, and yet nothing compared to what so many people have to deal with. His girlfriend later told him I was Armenian(I told her), and my mom said that he insulted her about it...and she expressed to me her own hatred for him. :no:
My daughter's father is an immigrant from Central America, and there have been several occasions in which people have said totally offensive things that they wouldn't have said had they known. :doh:

yes i have i am cuban american both of my parents are from cuba and one thing that bothers me is when people say oh u look black and once when i speak spanish they be in shock it just bothers me even people in my own race be saying the same thing too

I recently started working part time in order to support my tuition and stuff. I started work the same day a (white) friend of mine did, there was an older lady from Eastern Europe, her attitude and behavior toward me and my friend couldn't have been any more different, while the white friend was greeted warmly and I was greeted rather cold. The first question she asked me was where I was from, I told her about my father being a black American and mom German. She looked me in the face and told me she knew I couldn't be German as I didn't look German. I asked her same question, as her accent was strange, she told me I had no right to ask her where she was from as she was looking ''more German'' than me,.. I stood there thinking '' Hold up, between the two of us it's me who is half German not you''. This is just the most recent occasion of racism I have encountered.

On youtube on one of the versions of in the closet someone added a bit on the end where a boy says its amazing how people can accept a dog into their home but not someone who has different skin colour
It was Ryan White, the boy who got aids and wasn´t accepted anymore.

yeah. when i say i'm proud of my skin color ...seems it's ok for all races to be proud of that but my same colored ppl are labeled as racist if they say that ... and it sucks.

Racism is very common in the NY, the supposed melting pot of all races. It makes for a melting pot of stereotypes. I've been followed around in stores. I have not been able to catch a taxi before. I've been approached by a man before who told me he liked "African" (he could hardly speak English so all he knew was African) and propositioned me because he thought black women were loose. (The nerve) and it is so stupid.
I HATE when other races think only of black people as being loud, ignorant and hypersexualized. They see black women as sex objects. It burns me up.

I have a funny story. I was riding in the car with a coworker (we are both black by the way) and we came to a stop light. On the corner was a black guy who was waiting to cross the street. When she saw him she locked her doors. The guy heard the doors lock and when he got about half way across the street he turned to her and said, "I don't want you B*@-h". I nearly died laughing at her.

I've heard that has happened in Italy with black women. That some men will assume black = loose or a prostitute and will proposition you.

yes i have. in all the grocery stores i go to, they save the guards for me, though i am a totally honest customer.

have had a hard time with employment, and the police have a special watch going on in my neighborhood, which has always been one of the most peaceful neighborhoods, before they started the watch. and i was arrested for no reason, except for my skin color. i am in los angeles.

That happened to me while I was in Australia. I was stopped in a grocery store and searched. Most likely because I was the only black person in the store. :smilerolleyes: I didn't see them stop anybody else either.

I've seen it at my job. We had a guest in the store comment that all black people look alike. Another accused an employee of only ringing up black people. Then he had the audacity to say right in front of me to a white guest behind him; "that's how they all are."

Then there's this gem:

Customer: Can I return this here?
Cashier: No, you've got to go up to guest service.
Customer: Oh..no I'm not going up there. There's too many black people over there.
Customer's wife: Shhhh!!!

And I live in South Florida, another supposed "melting pot."

yes i have i am cuban american both of my parents are from cuba and one thing that bothers me is when people say oh u look black and once when i speak spanish they be in shock it just bothers me even people in my own race be saying the same thing too

Afro-Hispanics are discriminated against by some white Hispanics. The Miami Herald did a multi-article series on racism in Latin America and the Caribbean. The articles included various incidents such as Dominicans being spit on a bus because their hair doesn't look "white" (very straight) and a black Brazilian being screamed at by a white woman when he dared to step on the same elevator as her. This lady told him that blacks should use the service elevator.

Last edited:
A co-worker said something really derogatory about Puerto Ricans right in front of me and she didn't know I was one, lol. I just ignored her and let her stupidity speak for itself.

My ex-(thank God) brother-in-law's family used to say horribly prejudiced and insulting things about my sister and Puerto Ricans in general. I even heard one of them use the word "spic". I hated that family. I celebrate the day my sister threw that bum out along with his bigoted family.

A co-worker said something really derogatory about Puerto Ricans right in front of me and she didn't know I was one, lol. I just ignored her and let her stupidity speak for itself.

My ex-(thank God) brother-in-law's family used to say horribly prejudiced and insulting things about my sister and Puerto Ricans in general. I even heard one of them use the word "spic". I hated that family. I celebrate the day my sister threw that bum out along with his bigoted family.

....Gordan Brown ? Is that you

JK good for her ;)

I was called a cracker and a honky a couple of times by blacks and some other names by locals when I was overseas but overall nothing major. Overall, I've had very good relations with non-whites.

My mum can be a lil racist against pretty much anyone who is not Australian.
Back in her day 1950's it was easy to get into jobs, schools/universities were mostly Australian. There was less crime, no machetes.
Our jobs, schools & Universities are being taken over also houses & shops.
Its hard for her. her sister lives in the country because she also doesn't like this Australia.
My mum works at Melbourne University & is surrounded by different nationalities. She loves it there & the people. Funny how that works.
She will see asian or african family with children & she will tell them how beautiful their children are.
My mum is so confusing! I took her to a refugee camp put up by Doctors without borders in the city. She learn't a lot & why people come here. Her racism has calmed down a little thank goodness.

Im a nanny to a lot of children over 30 from 5 different families. They vary in nationalities & skin colour. 2yrs ago I was taking a brother & sister shopping both have same parents a Zambian father & Italian mother. Emilie is black & Luca well he has olive skin nobody believes me when I say they are brother & sister. Luca also has Vitiligo had it since he was 1 so he will be white soon.
3 girls I nanny are adopted from Haiti. 2 are twins. They started school last year & was accepted by other children but not the other just cause she was quiet & didn't speak as much English as her sister. Her sister told the children accept both of us or go away. Didn't work they changed schools & are doing great.

My ex boyfriend from NZ has 5 adopted children also from NZ. We were out shopping & wanted lunch in NZ. Fish & chips sounded good. My ex & his bro told me to order of course I ask for Fish & chips with my Aussie accent & the shop breaks into laughter. I laughed along

Unfortunately and very sadly there is still intolerance towards people which I find very sad and disturbing.:(
How ironic is this.................I kid you not.......Black or White has just come on in my itunes as I type!!!! :D
Blimey!! Amazing timing eh?
People are people and although we are all different we are equal.
:agree:
Why do people do this to eachother? It's very sad indeed:(

That is pretty funny!! lol!

I don't recall someone ever being openly racist to me, but my friends (who are Tamil) were saying how they were sitting on a bus when two old, uneducated men started commenting on how they were "slumdogs" (a reference to "Slumdog Millionaire")...

Oh, and I remember when I was in 8 years and old and first came to Canada, I brought some "ethnic" food for lunch and this ignorant girl made fun of me. Kids... :no:

Yes. I am mixed race and spent six years in a part of the southwest of England which is almost totally white. People would yell at me to go back to my own country and stuff like that. It was horrible. I was just a kid and already depressed at that point. Those idiots didn't realise that England is my own country. Some people are so ignorant.

Back