Secrets of The cashier!

Karice

Proud Member
As a cashier, I will tell you some secrets of the job. :palesmile:

1. If you want to pay with your debit card, the payment key you press is ATM, not EBT. A lot of my customers press, "EBT," thinking it's short for DEBIT. EBT is food stamps. I've had countless customers look at me with confusuion when the register askes them about food.

2.PLEASE stop giving me CVS Extra Care Cards. Walgreens and CVS are interchangeble, but we're not THAT interchangeable.

3. If I ask you a personal question, please understand that I don't mean to be rude, I'm just trying to be friendly.

4. The worst time to give me $100.00 bills is when my managers pick up my money, because I am basically broke. The best time to give me $100.00 is when I have a surplus of $20.00, and will be glad to give you my 20's.

5. A mention to the post above. I am sick of the $20s! I see them too much. The only time I want 20's is when lot of people are asking for cash back from their debit.

6. About cashback, the limit in Walgreens is $40.00. It used to be $100.00, but the Walgreens Headquarters limited it to 40.00. When it was 100.00, customers would by a pack of gum for 1.39, and then ask for 100.00 back. Then they'd buy four more of those packs of gum, and ask for 100.00 each time. As you can see, that ended up giving them 500.00. Not good. Now, cutomers don't want to do the same thing for just 40.00 each time. They usuaully stop after two times, giving them 80.00. Good.

7. Please do NOT put your items across my scanner. Always let ME pass your items for you. Because when you pass the items, you run the risk of making me do a void(because of a double scan). Voids are the bane of every cashier. With a void, I have to "erase" what I scanned so that you don't get charged.

8. Total voids. Post voids. I like the total void and post voids. I'd rather have a total/post void than a regular void. Total voids happen when there are too many "voids" to do them one by one. Let's say, I ring up 20 items, and the customer complains that each of those items were on sale, but the register rang them up as regular priced, but there is no coupons for them.(turns out, the register was wrong, and those items were on sale. Do you think I am going to "void" all those itmes one by one? Especially when there is a HUGE line? NOOOOOO! I just call for a "total" void, and a manager uses his or her key and total voids the whole transaction. A Post Void means that the manager couldn't make it to void the transaction at the time, so I punch in the exact amount, and keep the receipt until the manager can do the post void. I am never supposed to leave a post void undone, because the register will be short.

9. Reference to post above. I will sometimes need to "price modify" the item to the sale price. PM is basically overriding the item so that you will get the sale price. This is usually done after a regular void. Sometimes, I need a manager's permission to "override."

10. Credit cards. In the Walgreens where I work, if the amount is 25.00 or over, I will need to see your ID, and you will need to sign your name. If the itmes are 24.99 or less, , you do not need an ID, nor do you need to sign your name. If the items are 50.00, I need to write down your driver's license or ID number. About something else, American Express cards sometimes require you to give me your BILLING Zip Code to verify that you are the owner of the card. Please do not give me the zip code where you LIVE if it's not where the bill goes too.

11.Suggestive Sales. If you see me pushing one particular item, that is my suggestive sell. I used to be really agressive and pushy, until my co-workers told me that "begging" people to by my suggestive sales was bad customer service. I stopped "begging" so hard and just casually pointed out the "cheap" item)(my SS )

12. Tax. When the total is a bit high, I usually tell the customers why it's a bit high in one word. Tax. They usually understand. But some don't. Some ask"How is there tax on food?" Easy. Candy has tax. Soda has tax. Cake has tax. Cookies have tax. Do you see the patten here? Junk food uslly has tax. But healthy foods tend not to have tax on them. The only junk food that doesn't have tax on it is the 99 cent chips.

Interesting. I'm so annoyed with Walgreens. They lock up staple items like deodorant and make their customers call for a worker to get it out for them. Like I have all day for this. Are these items made of gold? Ridiculous! So I don't purchase these items from them. I go to Duane Reade across the street (which is now owned by...Walgreens. Grrrr).

2.PLEASE stop giving me CVS Extra Care Cards. Walgreens and CVS are interchangeble, but we're not THAT interchangeable.

4. The worst time to give me $100.00 bills is when my managers pick up my money, because I am basically broke. The best time to give me $100.00 is when I have a surplus of $20.00, and will be glad to give you my 20's.

I work in a Rite Aid, and I get the Extra Care Cards all the time! I tell people "That's for CVS," and they get all confused: "What store am I in?"
:doh:

And another bad time for $100 bills is first thing in the morning.

BTW What is CVS? Wal mart?

CVS and Walgreens are drug stores.

Interesting. I'm so annoyed with Walgreens. They lock up staple items like deodorant and make their customers call for a worker to get it out for them. Like I have all day for this. Are these items made of gold? Ridiculous! So I don't purchase these items from them. I go to Duane Reade across the street (which is now owned by...Walgreens. Grrrr).

Deodorant is locked up?? I've never heard of such a thing. What should be locked up is merchandise like fragrances and electronics.

Deodorant is locked up?? I've never heard of such a thing. What should be locked up is merchandise like fragrances and electronics.

Yep. It's kind of a tough neighborhood but they should not treat everyone like a criminal. They need to stop being cheap and hire better security.

lol wow.... I've been through some of those experiences. :lol:

ohh...:hug:...to all of you and may you have a better day tomorrow..

At my Walgreens, razor blades, diet pills, antiacids, eye medicines, such as Visine, teeth whiteners, motorized toothbrushes, and stool softeners are locked up! But, it's because they tend to be high in price.

At my Walgreens, razor blades, diet pills, antiacids, eye medicines, such as Visine, teeth whiteners, motorized toothbrushes, and stool softeners are locked up! But, it's because they tend to be high in price.

We've had a problem with Prilosec OTC disappearing off the shelves...apparently people like to put it in crack. :sigh:

1. If you want to pay with your debit card, the payment key you press is ATM, not EBT. A lot of my customers press, "EBT," thinking it's short for DEBIT. EBT is food stamps. I've had countless customers look at me with confusuion when the register askes them about food.

3. If I ask you a personal question, please understand that I don't mean to be rude, I'm just trying to be friendly.

5. A mention to the post above. I am sick of the $20s! I see them too much. The only time I want 20's is when lot of people are asking for cash back from their debit.

6. About cashback, the limit in Walgreens is $40.00. It used to be $100.00, but the Walgreens Headquarters limited it to 40.00. When it was 100.00, customers would by a pack of gum for 1.39, and then ask for 100.00 back. Then they'd buy four more of those packs of gum, and ask for 100.00 each time. As you can see, that ended up giving them 500.00. Not good. Now, cutomers don't want to do the same thing for just 40.00 each time. They usuaully stop after two times, giving them 80.00. Good.

7. Please do NOT put your items across my scanner. Always let ME pass your items for you. Because when you pass the items, you run the risk of making me do a void(because of a double scan). Voids are the bane of every cashier. With a void, I have to "erase" what I scanned so that you don't get charged.

8. Total voids. Post voids. I like the total void and post voids. I'd rather have a total/post void than a regular void. Total voids happen when there are too many "voids" to do them one by one. Let's say, I ring up 20 items, and the customer complains that each of those items were on sale, but the register rang them up as regular priced, but there is no coupons for them.(turns out, the register was wrong, and those items were on sale. Do you think I am going to "void" all those itmes one by one? Especially when there is a HUGE line? NOOOOOO! I just call for a "total" void, and a manager uses his or her key and total voids the whole transaction. A Post Void means that the manager couldn't make it to void the transaction at the time, so I punch in the exact amount, and keep the receipt until the manager can do the post void. I am never supposed to leave a post void undone, because the register will be short.

9. Reference to post above. I will sometimes need to "price modify" the item to the sale price. PM is basically overriding the item so that you will get the sale price. This is usually done after a regular void. Sometimes, I need a manager's permission to "override."

10. Credit cards. In the Walgreens where I work, if the amount is 25.00 or over, I will need to see your ID, and you will need to sign your name. If the itmes are 24.99 or less, , you do not need an ID, nor do you need to sign your name. If the items are 50.00, I need to write down your driver's license or ID number. About something else, American Express cards sometimes require you to give me your BILLING Zip Code to verify that you are the owner of the card. Please do not give me the zip code where you LIVE if it's not where the bill goes too.

11.Suggestive Sales. If you see me pushing one particular item, that is my suggestive sell. I used to be really agressive and pushy, until my co-workers told me that "begging" people to by my suggestive sales was bad customer service. I stopped "begging" so hard and just casually pointed out the "cheap" item)(my SS )

12. Tax. When the total is a bit high, I usually tell the customers why it's a bit high in one word. Tax. They usually understand. But some don't. Some ask"How is there tax on food?" Easy. Candy has tax. Soda has tax. Cake has tax. Cookies have tax. Do you see the patten here? Junk food uslly has tax. But healthy foods tend not to have tax on them. The only junk food that doesn't have tax on it is the 99 cent chips.

Great post. It's amazing how stupid, rude, and impatient customers are. Yeah unfortunately I'm stuck in retail for the time being too.

I feel ya, Karice and Michelle!!! I am a cahsier too, for a grocery store, and yesterday was so damn funny. I got complained on for saying, "Hi, how are you?" LMAO!!! My managers were like WTH??? LOL!

I feel ya, Karice and Michelle!!! I am a cahsier too, for a grocery store, and yesterday was so damn funny. I got complained on for saying, "Hi, how are you?" LMAO!!! My managers were like WTH??? LOL!

wow some people :lol:

I've been a cashier for 4 years. I have seen some pretty bizarre things during that time.

Some things I understand they have to lock up. But deodorant? LOL, that is annoying to no end! :)

You're kidding me! Some people love to complain. Some of my coworkers and I always say we would like to find out where the rude, sloppy customers work so we can go in their places and do the same, lol! At the place I work now, I'm mainly the Fitting Room person, but I've been on the register at times and I've definitely been a cashier at previous jobs.

I would have a heart attack if one of the cashiers at my Walgreens greeted me so nicely. They act like miserable zombies, lol.

Haha! I work at a children's clothing store called Gymboree and you would be amazed at what I have encountered running the cash register!

A majority of our product is obviously on hangers, and one lady was buying a few full priced items (most everything in our store is marked down so if you are buying full price you are 'rich' ha) anyways, this lady was buying some full price items and started to take them off of the hanger up at the register while I was getting ready to ring her up. She got this horrified look on her face, dropped the product and the hangers on the counter and said, "Oh my God! What am I doing!? That's YOUR job!" like...it was going to hurt her to take the product off of the hangers for me? It just makes her experience faster...but whatever!

And I also hate it when customers get upset becaue I am not 'happy' about taking back their returns. I'm sorry that I can't smile and graciously give you back the $150 you spent because you found $150 worth of junk over at the Children's Place! Gah, don't even get me started on the Children's Place. Haha

Back