[Obama's] Presidential Proclamation - African-American Music Appreciation Month [June]

Agent M

Proud Member
The White House

Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release May 28, 2010

Presidential Proclamation- African-American Music Appreciation Month

Music can tell a story, assuage our sorrows, provide blessing and redemption, and express a soul's sublime and powerful beauty. It inspires us daily, giving voice to the human spirit. For many, including the African-American community, music unites individuals through a shared heritage. During African-American Music Appreciation Month, we celebrate the extraordinary legacy of African-American singers, composers, and musicians, as well as their indelible contributions to our Nation and our world.

Throughout our history, African-American music has conveyed the hopes and hardships of a people who have struggled, persevered and overcome. Through centuries of injustice, music comforted slaves, fueled a cultural renaissance, and sustained a movement for equality. Today, from the shores of Africa and the islands of the Caribbean to the jazz clubs of New Orleans and the music halls of Detroit, African-American music reflects the rich sounds of many experiences, cultures, and locales.

African-American musicians have created and expanded a variety of musical genres, synthesizing diverse artistic traditions into a distinctive soundscape. The soulful strains of gospel, the harmonic and improvisational innovations of jazz, the simple truth of the blues, the rhythms of rock and roll, and the urban themes of hip-hop all blend into a refrain of song and narrative that traces our Nation's history.

These quintessentially American styles of music have helped provide a common soundtrack for people of diverse cultures and backgrounds, and have joined Americans together not just on the dance floor, but also in our churches, in our public spaces, and in our homes. This month, we honor the talent and genius of African-American artists who have defined, shaped, and enriched our country through music, and we recommit to sharing their splendid gifts with our children and grandchildren.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2010 as African-American Music Appreciation Month. I call upon public officials, educators, and the people of the United States to observe this month with appropriate activities and programs that raise awareness and foster appreciation of African-American music.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand ten, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fourth.

BARACK OBAMA

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...ion-african-american-music-appreciation-month

I could be wrong...but it seems as though he may have done this in honor of Michael...I hope I am right. On the other hand he really didn't say to much when Michael passed away..but then again I think he has to remain impartial because he IS a president. Oh well..what ever his reason..I am glad he did it.

Nice... :)

Not only for MJ but for all the under-rated black musicians and singers over the years who were the original pioneers but sadly get ignored by the media.

I could be wrong...but it seems as though he may have done this in honor of Michael...I hope I am right. On the other hand he really didn't say to much when Michael passed away..but then again I think he has to remain impartial because he IS a president. Oh well..what ever his reason..I am glad he did it.

that's what I thought as well when I heard about it... it's like he doesn't want to name it Michael's month directly, so he chooses a discreet way to name it African-American Music Appreciation Month.

I think its nice of him to do it.

Nice... :)

Not only for MJ but for all the under-rated black musicians and singers over the years who were the original pioneers but sadly get ignored by the media.
Ignored by the record companies also, except maybe in Japan. Chaka Khan is trying to get her unreleased songs from Warner Brothers that they have refused to put out when they were originally recorded. Most of the African American acts albums are out of print (other than hits compilations), except Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, and Bob Marley. They're probably the only ones taken seriously by the labels and mainstream public.

Is this really needed? Here in the U.S. when you turn on the radio all you hear is black music. I don't sense a lack of appreciation at all.

Is this really needed? Here in the U.S. when you turn on the radio all you hear is black music. I don't sense a lack of appreciation at all.

I know right! :hysterical:

[No offence intended to anyone]

well this month has always been set aside for that occasion before he got into office. but considering what the month of june means to MJ fans...it could be that we are just more sensitive to taking notice of the timing, this year...

really? what stations do you listen to in america? there are all kinds of stations that play all kinds of music in the usa

really? what stations do you listen to in america? there are all kinds of stations that play all kinds of music in the usa

I know, I just mean that the majority of stations seem to play black music. The Pop/Top 40 stations are mostly hip-hop these days (except for a few people like Taylor Swift). Then there are stations that are completely hip-hop or R&B. The oldies station plays a lot of Motown. There's a country station and a few rock stations in my area though, it's just that it seems like there are more of the other stations.

I don't mind though - I'm just saying that it's well represented.

I hope he did it in honour of Michael. Obama has pretty much completely lost my respect at this point in time (not that I ever liked him that much to begin with). He seems like the type to be easily influenced by public opinion, judging by his catering to Republicans with the whole oil drilling thing. I reckon he beats McCain, though.

In any case, his "statement" last year was pretty damn pathetic and I can only hope that this is something to try and honour Michael. If so, that's a step in the right direction.

This seems to be something that Trump hasn't cancelled :)

Maybe 'Earth song' should become song of the month :)

This year's decree:

African-American Music Appreciation Month

AFRICAN-AMERICAN MUSIC APPRECIATION MONTH, 2017

- - - - - - -

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

During June, we pay tribute to the contributions African Americans have made and continue to make to American music. The indelible legacy of these musicians who have witnessed our Nation's greatest achievements, as well as its greatest injustices give all Americans a richer, deeper understanding of American culture. Their creativity has shaped every genre of music, including rock and roll, rhythm and blues, jazz, gospel, hip hop, and rap.

In March, rock and roll lost Chuck Berry, one of its founding fathers. Berry's signature style on the guitar, on display in classics like "Johnny B. Goode," "Roll Over Beethoven," "Maybellene," and "Carol," came to define the explosive new sound of rock and roll. As Keith Richards, guitarist for the Rolling Stones said while introducing Berry into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: "This is the gentleman who started it all."

We also take time this month to recognize the musical influence of two of the greatest jazz musicians of all time, Dizzy Gillespie and Ella Fitzgerald, as this year marks their centennial birthdays. Gillespie, through his legendary trumpet sound and Fitzgerald, through her pure, energetic voice, treated people around the world to spirited and soulful jazz music. Their work has influenced countless musicians, and continues to inspire listeners young and old.

The contributions of Berry, Gillespie, Fitzgerald, and other African-American musicians shine as examples of how music can bring us together. These musicians also remind us of our humanity and of our power to overcome. They expressed the soul of blues, gospel, and rock and roll, which has so often captured the hardships of racism and injustices suffered by African Americans, as well as daily joys and celebrations. Their work highlights the power music has to channel the human experience, and they remain a testament to the resilience of all freedom-loving people. We are grateful for their contribution to the cannon of great American art.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2017 as African-American Music Appreciation Month. I call upon public officials, educators, and all the people of the United States to observe this month with appropriate activities and programs that raise awareness and appreciation of African-American Music.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirty-first day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand seventeen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-first.

DONALD J. TRUMP

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...mp-proclaims-june-2017-african-american-music

Back