The Whitney Houston Thread

billyworld99

Proud Member
i think she's such a legend in her own right , so i dedicate this to the voice

I just so happen to be listening to "I'm Your Baby Tonight" as I type. :lol:

I am a big fan of yesteryear's Whitney and I wish the current Whitney all the best but it's hard for me to get in to her like I once was. The voice isn't there anymore and it makes me sad to listen to what she did to herself. :(

I was just listening to I Look To You and wondered if there was a thread for Whitney on here, I love Whitney and I think out of her contemporaries (Madonna, Janet, Mariah) who released albums at that time, I Look To You was the best.

Yeah her voice has changed but its not gone, its just changed, if she cleaned herself up properly she could easily get back to her normal self, her performance of I Didn't Know My Own Strength on Oprah was great:

I was just listening to I Look To You and wondered if there was a thread for Whitney on here, I love Whitney and I think out of her contemporaries (Madonna, Janet, Mariah) who released albums at that time, I Look To You was the best.

Yeah her voice has changed but its not gone, its just changed, if she cleaned herself up properly she could easily get back to her normal self, her performance of I Didn't Know My Own Strength on Oprah was great:

Whitney did well there but she's still nowhere close to what she once was. She struggles very hard to perform her old hits. I could pull up the disasters that are all over YouTube but I don't want to do that because I know this thread is to celebrate the incredible legend that is Whitney Houston. I do love her, I'm just really sad that her voice is gone due to drug abuse. I do agree that if she keeps herself clean and works on it, that she can restore her voice to a still very respectable level. Whitney at her worst is still better than most at their peak.

^ I agree she does seem to struggle a lot more with her older hits, around 2010 though she started to look a lot better on her Nothing But Love tour, but her voice was always going to change in old age, it happens to a lot of singers, the drugs and smoking doesn't help things.

Anyway here's some of my favourite songs by Whitney:

She was amazing. Lately not that much. I've noticed that she's lost much of her powerful voice. Still a great singer though in comparison to many of the young acts of today.

I love Whitney. She is my favourite "power voice" female singers. I always found her voice better than Mariah's. I wish her all the best.

BTW, didn't Michael say once Whitney could sing the telephone book and it still would sound great?

I love Whitney. She is my favourite "power voice" female singers. I always found her voice better than Mariah's. I wish her all the best.

BTW, didn't Michael say once Whitney could sing the telephone book and it still would sound great?

I always thought so too. I know Mariah often gets toted as having the greatest voice with the most octaves but to my ears, Whitney's powerful and effortless voice made Mariah sound like a little girl singing in to a hairbrush. Their duet is a great example of that.

Yeah, I don't know who can sing how many octaves of the two (I guess they are pretty close to one another in that) but there's some "noise" in Mariah's voice I don't like - Whitney's voice always sounded "cleaner" to me. (I struggle to express what it is.)

Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Mariah, but I really don't like her whistle, her voice is very impressive, but I would never rank her as high as Whitney, but I wouldn't say Whitney makes her look like a girl singing into a brush either in When You Believe, but it is made clear who is the better singer that's for sure. Having said that I do really like their duet.

Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Mariah, but I really don't like her whistle, her voice is very impressive, but I would never rank her as high as Whitney, but I wouldn't say Whitney makes her look like a girl singing into a brush either in When You Believe, but it is made clear who is the better singer that's for sure. Having said that I do really like their duet.

I do too, I just think Whitney sounds like the pro of the two. Anyone see their live performance of the song done years ago? I can't remember which award show it was but Whitney absolutely killed it and schooled Mariah in the process.

Has anyone else been hearing Whitney is supposedly broke, UK tabloids who previously claimed the same thing about MJ before he passed. Well Whitney's team have spoke out and said its ridiculous and that she has just been in a movie which she was paid for so there was no way she could be broke.

The movie she has been starring in and producing is called Sparkle a remake of the 1976 film, with Jordin Sparks a Cee Lo Green. Production was to begin in 2002 until Aaliyah's untimely death. A picture from the movie have been released:

article-0-11663D36000005DC-141_468x346.jpg

The film is slated for release August 10th 2012

I read about it. There's a lot of articles on the web about her financial situation.

TMZ have a story up about Whitney and Hip Hop/ R&B singer Ray J (Brandy Noorwood's brother) being back together after they were spotted leaving a restaurant with a video. The Daily Mail also ran a story a few days ago saying Whitney and Bobby went out for dinner with their daughter with pictures again.

My mind is blown. I don't know what to say. It's so odd how we here recently brought back old threads and started discussing her and now this... So very sad. I rooted so hard for this woman. Just tragic. :cry:

I hope some people stop calling her "drug addict", "washed-up singer", "crack head", etc. esp. right now.

Esp. after going through June 25th. 2009, I've become a lot more sympathetic towards fans of other deceased artists. Right now, the last thing her fans need to hear is some haters disrespecting the dead.

I have been listening to Whitney all evening. I can hardly believe it.

I feel sadness, but also feel gifted that she gave us so much music to remember her by. I'm hoping that her new movie gets an award, or does well at the box office.

Back