Grace Jones

5/31/2017 by Seth Abramovitch Hollywood Reporter
msdvito_ec030_h0-h_2017.jpg

"He will always remain one of my best experiences in my filming career," Jones says of her 'A View to a Kill' co-star, who died May 23 at age 89.

"We had an unusually long relationship by Hollywood standards that was filled with jokes and laughter," said Sean Connery about the loss of his 007 successor, Roger Moore, who died May 23 at 89 after a brief battle with cancer. "I will miss him." Indeed, it seemed all who came into contact with Moore were charmed by his wit and touched by his decency. Among his admirers was Grace Jones, who played henchwoman May Day in the 1986 James Bond film A View to a Kill. The 69-year-old singer, supermodel, actress, author and all-around icon spoke exclusively to The Hollywood Reporter from her home in Jamaica about her memories of working with the late, great Sir Roger.

How did you meet Roger?
It was at a lunch at Pinewood Studios [in London] with his wife just before filming of the Bond film started. I was told that his wife [Luisa Mattioli] always wanted to meet the actresses that he was going to have a love scene with. Then Dolph Lundgren, my lover at the time, walked in, and Luisa said, "I don't have to worry about her." And Roger said, "He is as big as Denmark." And we all laughed.

What was your rapport like?
He was very funny — always telling jokes and always making me laugh. His humor was quite attractive, but my character, May Day, was to hate him, so I had to stay in character after I read the script!

You were an evil henchwoman in the film and a formidable fighter, like all the Bond villains. How physical were your fight scenes?
I didn't have any fight scenes with Roger in the film, but my fight scenes with other characters were very physical. I had to be at the best shape. He and I did have a love scene, though, and that was more physical.

What did Roger bring to the Bond role?
His humor, his charm, his experience and not taking it so seriously. Roger will stay in my memory forever as a great gentleman and great father. He will always remain one of my best experiences in my filming career. During the shoot we were like a big family, spending all our time over a year together. He will be missed. One of a kind.

Back