Michael Through the Years

MJJLaugh

Proud Member
banner2gl.png

If there is someone who doesn't need an introduction, it's Michael Jackson. The whole world knows him, danced to his songs. He dedicated himself to his art, becoming bigger and better than anyone else. But what made him truly great and remarkable and loved by millions was his love. His love emanated from him, shone from his eyes and oozed from his pores. Love for his children, love for his fans, love for the children of the world, love for animals and mother nature, our planet.

This thread will take you on a journey through Michael's life, showing his performances from a very early age onwards, the awards received, the charities he supported, interactions with fans, interviews, tributes and speeches and just Michael being Michael.

The articles and videos show a man loved by millions over the world, not just because of his extraordinary gifts and talents but especially because of his heart, his caring, sweet nature and his great sense of humor!
There will never be another Michael Jackson!
Michael, we love you most!

Chronology of Michael Jackson in Pictures

This is a lovely slideshow of MJ through the years, accompanied by that magical song "Speechless". Even though the chronology might be off at times, to me it is not about getting the years in perfect order, but rather capturing the essence of his being, the pure love radiating from his eyes and his wonderful smile.

[size=+1]Jackson 5 Era[/size]

With a Child's Heart Michael Jackson Pictures: Pictures of Young Mike

Pictures and clips of a young Mike to the song With a Child's Heart.

Young Michael Jackson

Michael is approximately 5 or 6 years old here and you can clearly see the James Brown influence in his dancing. He does a spin several times, and it all seems so effortless. True genius at work here!

I'll be There Acapella

Michael performs the song "I'll be there" acapella, in 1970.
Such a powerful, pure voice, even then.

Michael Jackson and Squeaky Washing Machines

SushiAndSqueakyWashingMachine.jpg

I’ve written before about how Michael used to dance to the rhythm of the washing machine when he was a little tot. My friend Monita found the quote below from Katherine Jackson’s book ‘My Family, The Jacksons‘ about this, which I added to my previous blog entry where Michael told the story to Jesse Jackson in an interview. You can also read about his singing debut in 1963 at the same link.

Reading the page in Mrs. Jackson’s book, you’ll also learn that Michael was apparently more than a little mischievous, very nosey, and very hard to catch when he had been a bad boy!

It dawned on me that Michael was no run-of-the-mill kid one day in 1960. I was standing in front of my washing machine, checking the load, when I happened to turn around and see my one-and-a-half-year-old son practically under my dress tail. He was holding a bottle and dancing … dancing to the rhythmic squeak of my washing machine.

-’My Family, The Jacksons‘, by Katherine Jackson

I’d also get reports from his brothers concerning his nosiness.

Mother, when we were at so-and-so’s house, Michael just had to know what was in their drawer,” one of them would say. “When they left the room he opened the drawer and look inside.

MARLON: He hasn’t changed. We were backstage somewhere during the Victory tour when Michael walked into a man’s office and started nosing around. “Michael, get out of those drawers!” we told him.

He’s well known for snooping in his brothers’ stuff, too. One day he was over at Randy’s. Randy had to go somewhere, and after he left, Michael started opening some of his drawers. In one of them he found a note: “Michael, don’t go in here with your nosy self!” Michael laughed and laughed.

-’My Family, The Jacksons‘, by Katherine Jackson

Source: http://www.mj-777.com/

The Article:

Greeneville woman hopes Michael Jackson's good deeds remembered
BY BETH ANN WALKER walkerb@knoxnews.com
Posted June 27, 2009 at midnight

Leslie Robinette was 6 years old when she first met Michael Jackson.

An old photograph shows Michael Jackson visiting Leslie Robinette in the hospital in Seattle, Washington, in 1973. Robinette, now 42, was hospitalized as a child with aplastic anemia.

An ailing little girl with barely any hair and a swollen stomach, Robinette suffered then, as now, from aplastic anemia caused by the genetic disease fanconi anemia, which she describes as being "like a little Pac-Man going after all your bone marrow."

Jackson was only 15. Robinette now believes he must have been more nervous than she was.

In 1973, she and her family went to Seattle, where she stayed in Seattle Children's Hospital - then The Children's Orthopedic Hospital and Medical Center.

Robinette received a bone marrow transplant, which at the time was an experimental surgery. She was one of the youngest to ever have the procedure. She went through chemotherapy, radiation and an ever-changing plethora of medications.

But worst of all, she was kept in isolation for three months.

She spoke to her sisters through walkie-talkies, and only her mother was allowed in the room. Doctors told the family they had done all they could do, but her condition just wasn't improving.

"After you go through all of that, you just get tired and want to go home; you kind of give up the fight," Robinette said.

She listened to her favorite group, The Jackson 5, on a sterilized record player doctors allowed her to have.

On March 7, she received her first visitor.

A record of the Jackson 5's "Lookin' Through the Windows".Robinette was listening to the record when the group came to visit her in the hospital in Seattle, Washington in 1973.

"I was sitting in my room looking out the window, ironically listening to 'Looking Through the Window' by the Jackson 5, when I heard all the nurses going wild and carrying on," Robinette said.

She looked through the plate glass that was her only connection to the busy hospital and saw The Jackson 5 standing there.

"They asked me which one I wanted to see, and I said I wanted to see Michael - he was the cute one," Robinette said, laughing.

She described the teenage Jackson as obviously shy but incredibly kind and sincere. He gave her an autographed picture, held her hand and asked her how she was doing.

"It had been so long since I'd touched someone not wearing gloves, and I saw hair instead of just a green cap with eyeballs peeking out," said Robinette.

All five members of the Jackson 5 signed a photo for Leslie Robinette in 1973, when they came to visit her in the hospital in Seattle Washington. Robinette, now 42, of Greeneville, Tenn., was hospitalized as a child with aplastic anemia.

After that visit, Robinette started getting better.

"I would never say that he saved her life - that's crazy - but he gave her back a little of her will to live because she had lost it," said Trine Robinette, 49, Leslie's sister.

Leslie eventually did improve, and her family returned to their farm in Greeneville, Tenn., where she still lives with her parents.

When Leslie was 17, she met Jackson again.

The Jackson 5's Victory Tour came to Knoxville in August 1984 for a two-night concert that was extended a third night because of its popularity. Nearly 50,000 fans crowded into Neyland Stadium each night to see the concert.

Leslie Robinette received free tickets to the concerts, and on the third night, she went backstage to meet the whole Jackson gang. She brought Michael Jackson a hand-written birthday card.

A copy of her ticket stub from the 1984 Jackson's Victory Tour.

"I asked him if he remembered me, and he said yes. We talked about my singing in chorus and how I was getting my back brace off soon," Robinette said.

A memorabilia jacket from the 1984 Jackson's World Tour.

Jackson then told his security detail that she was his guest, so she got to watch the third show from a raised VIP platform, seated right next to Jackson's mother, Katherine.

When Robinette left Seattle Children's Hospital three months after her first meeting with Jackson, doctors said she might live 10 years. Still struggling with her disease, she is less than 4 feet tall and weighs about 60 pounds, but she is now 42 and lives an active life.

Like Jackson, she has a strong passion for animals. She is involved in North American Riding for the Handicapped Association and currently is training to become an instructor.

"I've always felt that Michael and I were kind of kindred spirits, because we both grew up not being able to really go anywhere or do anything normal kids do," Robinette said.

Leslie was sitting in her rocking chair when Trine called to tell her about Jackson's death, and she was upset by the news.

Both sisters agree that people can say what they want about Michael Jackson, but he did a lot of good and they hope that is what he will be remembered for. And, of course, his music.

The Source:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/ju...on-good-deeds/

Michael Jackson and Roberta Flack - When we grow up

A really cute video of Michael Jackson (then 16 years old) and Roberta Flack singing "When We Grow Up" in 1974. It's adorable and Michael was so cute!

Lyrics:

When we grow up, will I be pretty?
Will I be big and strong?
Will I wear dresses that show off my knees?
Will I wear trousers twice as long?
Well, I don't care if I'm pretty at all.
And I don't care if I never get tall. I like what you look like...
... and you're nice small.
We don't have to change at all.

When we grow up, will I be a lady?
Will I be on the moon?
Well, it might be alright to dance by its light, but I'm gonna get up there soon.
Well, I don't care if you're pretty at all.
And I don't care if you never get tall.
I like what you look like...
... and you're nice small.
We don't have to change at all.

When I grow up, I'm gonna be happy.
I'll do what I like to do.
Like making noise!
And making faces!
And making friends like you.

And when we grow up, do you think we'll see that I'm still like you and you're still like me?

I might be pretty.
I might grow tall.
But we don't have to change at all.

(Michael: I don't wanna change, see. 'Cause I still wanna be your friend. Forever and ever and ever and ever.)

[size=+1]Jacksons Era[/size]

Can You Feel It

This song was written in March 1980 by Michael Jackson and Jackie Jackson. It was released in September 1980 as the first track on the album "Triumph". The video concept was created by Michael. Tito's sons, Taj and Taryll appeared as extras.

Re: MJJC Legacy Project: Michael Through the Years

Jacksons interview with Dexter Wansel

The sweetest part of the interview is when Michael starts interviewing Dexter Wansel's two-year old son on camera, asking "Is that your daddy? Is that your daddy right there ?Let me see you dance. You can't dance ? Can you sing ? He can't dance, Dex ?"

Another one of Michael's many talents: Tap-dancing!

[size=+1]Off The Wall Era[/size]

Michael Jackson 1980 - She's Out Of My Life

In each and every take Michael broke down in tears near the end of the song, so finally Quincy Jones decided to let the quiver in his voice stay in the song. The song is an emotional ballad, sung with real emotion!

Michael Jackson - AMA Speech (Off The Wall Era) 1980

Nicolette Larson: "Well, I think you're the person to ask, we'd all like to know,what the secret is to having a number one best-selling album in the nation ?"
Michael: "Well, I think the secret is getting everybody to buy your album."
Michael won three awards that year and he always remembered to thank the fans.

"Upside Down" - Michael Jackson at Diana Ross Concert (1980)

Diana Ross introduces Michael in the sweetest way, with a lot of respect for his talent and he joins her for a real good hug. At 2:45 Diana Ross invites Michael on stage and they dance together!

Last edited:

Michael Jackson 21st Birthday Interview

Michael starts talking at 0:37. Just listen to him being so enthusiastic that he almost stumbles over his words. And I just love the way he pronounces the word "audition." Could that be from his Gary, Indiana roots ?

Off the Wall era in pictures:

offthewallera12-1.jpg

Michael_Jackson_Swimming.jpg

Gallery442.jpg

155.jpg

doodoo-young2022.jpg

doodoo-young2042.jpg

135.jpg

[size=+1]Thriller Era[/size]

Michael Jackson - Guinness Presentation '84

A childhood dream of Michael's comes true, twice:

Michael Jackson Grammys 1984 Part 1

Michael Jackson received a record-breaking 8 awards for his Thriller-album.

Michael Jackson Grammys 1984 Part 2

The Article:

When Michael Jackson met Michael Jackson
by Bruce DeMara ENTERTAINMENT REPORTER

Teasing became easier to take after Orillia kid got to meet King of Pop,
his famous namesake.

6e0c37574566919a521921ec3dc2.jpeg

COLIN MCCONNELL/TORONTO STAR FILE PHOTO (left), BILL SANDFORD FOR THE TORONTO STAR
Michael Jackson was a 10-year-old Star carrier when, thanks to his mother's efforts, he got to meet his namesake at a 1984 Exhibition Stadium concert at the height of the singer's Thriller fame. Right, Jackson, now a teacher in Orillia, holding a signed program, says he has fond memories of the meeting.

Michael Jackson was a 10-year-old newspaper boy for the Star 25 years ago when he met the other Michael Jackson, the superstar.
And the Michael Jackson he met that memorable night many years ago isn't the same Michael Jackson the media has pilloried with such relish over the ensuing years.

"I still remember it. It was a pretty cool event. Meeting him, you got to see a different side of him, not the ***** ***** stuff. He was just a really nice guy. That's what I remember about him, just being so kind and patient," said Jackson, 35, who teaches history and civics at his alma mater, Orillia District Collegiate Vocational Institute.

As a boy, Jackson was constantly teased about his name and "not being the real Michael Jackson." He was also a huge fan of the pop star, who in 1984 was in the midst of his Victory Tour and at the height of his fame.
Jackson's mother, Ann, wrote tour promoters Concert Productions International and asked if they could help fulfill a young fan's wish. They agreed.

On a chilly October night, accompanied by former Star reporter Joyce McKerrow, the Grade 5 student and his mom slipped through a side door at Exhibition Stadium and were taken to a private room.
"All of a sudden ... there was Michael Jackson. It was a special moment," Jackson recalled.

The singer, just minutes before he was poised to go on stage, offered Jackson and his mother some juice, signed an autograph and did his best to put them at their ease.

Jackson recalled that when the media came into the room to shoot pictures of the two Jacksons together, the singer "clammed up."
"But when they left, he was back to normal," Jackson said, recalling the singer as soft-spoken and a bit shy.

The singer's manager soon came in, reminded Jackson to put on his trademark sequined glove and the magic moment was over.
Jackson said he rarely speaks about the experience – even to his own wife, Rachel – because of the negative media coverage over the years that has focused on the superstar's eccentricities and allegations that he sexually assaulted young boys.

"I was driving with my wife when we found out about Michael Jackson passing away and then I told (her) the story. She never knew," Jackson said.
"That's the sad thing, that he (Jackson) does have that public image. But in my memory... for those 10 minutes, he just treated me really, really well, he made me feel comfortable, he made my mom feel comfortable. That to me is him," Jackson said.

"I've met prime ministers ... and they've never made me feel that comfortable," he said..

The Source[/B]http://www.thestar.com/article/657614

[size=+1]Bad Era[/size]

Michael Jackson BAD-TOUR Rehearsals

You don't become a musical genius and a superstar by depending on hard work alone. It also takes dedication and a lot of rehearsal.
Funny moment during rehearsal:
unknown male: "Hey Mike, good to see you!"
MJ : "Good to see you too, wherever you are!"

[size=+1]Bad Era[/size]

Michael Jackson - The Way You Make Me Feel Full Version

According to the book "Jacksons Number Ones", Michael wrote this song after his mother, Katherine Jackson, asked him to write a song "with a shuffling kind of rhythm."

[size=+1]Bad Era[/size]

Ebony Jet Interview 1988 Part 1 of 2

"No one can quite say what the creative process is. Because I have nothing to do with it of course. It's created in space. It's God's work, not mine."
- Michael Jackson

Ebony Jet Interview 1988 Part 2 of 2

[size=+1]Bad Era[/size]

Michael Jackson 1988 MTV News Report

This MTV report covers the highlights of Michael Jackson's Bad Tour in London.

BBC 9 o'clock News - Michael Jackson Bad Tour Report July 14, 1988 (Part 2)

More than 70,000 persons were inside the stadium, for the first of 7 concerts in Wembley stadium. The following saturday, the Prince and Princess of Wales were among the Wembley audience. Michael Jackson handed them a cheque in the amount of 400.000 USD, for the Princes' Trust and Great Ormond Children's Hospital in London.

[size=+1]Bad Era[/size]

Michael Jackson received the 'Artist of the Decade' award at the White House in 1990 by then-president George Bush Sr.

Visit-in-the-White-House-michael-jackson-7242993-794-1200.jpg

Visit-in-the-White-House-michael-jackson-7242985-762-1200.jpg

Visit-in-the-White-House-michael-jackson-7242958-1200-871.jpg

Visit-in-the-White-House-michael-jackson-7242953-1200-840.jpg

Visit-in-the-White-House-michael-jackson-7242945-1200-872.jpg

Visit-in-the-White-House-michael-jackson-7242920-1200-795.jpg

[size=+1]Dangerous Era[/size]

Michael Jackson's Food Fight

This is a video of behind-the-scenes on the set of the "Black or White" video.
Oh Michael, you're such a prankster!

Michael Jackson interview with oprah-part 5

Elizabeth Taylor as a true and lifelong friend explains who Michael is as a person and why she first started calling him "The King of Pop, Rock and Soul." Oprah Winfrey gets a tour over the Neverland grounds with the rides and the movie theater with some hospital beds in separate booths for the extremely sick children. All he ever wanted to do is to bring some joy and laughter on the faces of sick and deprived children... :heart:

Michael Jackson and Me: Strangers in Moscow Travel Stories:
by Jeffrey Tayler
Recalls a cold night in 1993 when he took a break from writing his first book to see a performance by the "King of Pop"
06.26.09 | 2:35 PM ET

michael_moscow_360.jpg

Michael Jackson during a visit to Moscow’s Red Square. REUTERS

It was mid-September 1993. I had moved to Moscow a couple of months earlier, during the warm if somewhat gritty doldrums of summer. Now, as autumn set in, it was raining endlessly from low clouds, greasy blackish mud made sidewalks slippery, and streets at night, with few lit-up advertisements, were mostly dark. Moscow, in short, had a shabby, sooty, worn-out, still-Soviet look. I hadn’t yet gotten my Russian “sea legs.” Moscow was new and strange and even threatening to me. (It was strange and threatening for many Russians, too, of course, given the heightening political tension that would flare into armed revolt against President Yeltsin by the month’s end.) But when I found out Michael Jackson was scheduled to perform live at Luzhniki Stadium as part of his “Dangerous” world tour, I did what I’d never done before: I bought a ticket to his concert. It lifted my mood, and made bearable my days locked away writing my first book, Siberian Dawn, in my roach-riddled, noisy, one-room apartment in a crumbling cement-block Khrushchovka building.

This was before Michael’s sex scandals. His popularity then was far higher than it has been in recent years; he was the most famous American on the planet, one whose name aroused well-nigh universal admiration. He had been this famous for years, however. While I served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Marrakech a couple of years before, Moroccans often asked me if, being American, I knew him. Russians weren’t so naïve, but it seemed everyone in Moscow back then had an opinion about Michael: Usually, they loved him. That such an American superstar was about to arrive in their capital meant something to them. Foreigners were still a novelty in Russia, times were hard and dark, and his promised appearance was shedding copious glittering light well in advance.

The centralized heating still hadn’t come on in my building. On the evening of the concert, I recall feeling damp and cold as I put on my raincoat, grabbed my umbrella, and readied myself to leave. I wasn’t yet quite in the mood. In my journal for that day I later wrote: “Seraya zhizn’ [the gray life]. I walked out into the drizzle and looked at the soupy gray sky and shabby gray concrete buildings and huge mucky puddles ... Being alone in this miserable flat ... living poor ... struggling with my book, my last chance.” I took the metro to Luzhniki. The crowd in the cars was mostly young and excited, and every now and then, between the roar of the train in the tunnels, I’d hear “Dzhekson ... Dzhekson ... Michael Dzhekson!”

Seventy thousand fans didn’t fill the huge stadium; there were empty seats, probably owing to the high price of the tickets and the terrible weather. I recall standing some 30 yards from the stage. The rain barreled down and I could see people’s breaths puffing; we got soaked, umbrellas or no, raincoats or no. He was one hour late, then two hours. Periodically, images of his catlike eyes would glow into view on a huge video screen above the stage, and people would start screaming. I didn’t scream, but I was certainly excited. The images would then fade. In the intervals, people were largely silent, as if by speaking they might scare him away. Breath puffed into the rain, the sky darkened, and there was no future: only a trembling expectation.

After two and a half hours, a light gradually illumined the center-stage and revealed Michael standing there, already posed, hand on hat, knee cocked. His breath puffed white in the now-frigid rain. (“He’s breathing!” a girl shouted next to me.) The crowd roared, people began jumping up and down. He launched into “Jam.” My journal notes don’t record more than this, but I remember his performance as stunning. I had somehow expected him to disappoint, as though careful editing of video clips might have made him out to be a better dancer than he was.

Soon someone in the management apparently decided that the rain posed a threat to Michael. Mop-wielding little old ladies (of the type once so common in Moscow) in headscarves shuffled out onto the stage, as he sang and gyrated and pranced, and wiped away the excess water, so he wouldn’t slip. He danced among them, around them, and never missed a step, never appeared to even notice them. He was soon into “Billie Jean,” and, by the time of his first moonwalk, I didn’t notice the rain or the little old ladies.

At some point, he took a break and the stage went dark. It seemed we all held our breath. No one spoke, everyone just stared at the stage. A few minutes later, the stage lights came on and we heard his voice, rather tender and feminine: “It’s cold as ice out there!” He felt the cold as we did, but he was able to perform and dazzle us all. This seemed simply incredible. I was already sore and stiff from standing there, yet he could dance. I had never thought of music stars as suffering from the cold on stage. (This was, after all, my first concert of any kind.) He returned and sang for another hour.

His brief stay in Moscow apparently hit him hard, making him feel lonely. At least we can gather as much from his later, soul-wrenching slow song, Stranger in Moscow. It contains the lines, “I was wandering in the rain/Sunny days seem far away ... Kremlin shadows belittling me/Stalin’s tomb won’t let me be ... KGB was doggin’ me ... stranger in Moscow.” The KGB surely did not dog him in 1993, but his words well expressed how lonely I often felt during my first year in the Russian capital.

Michael united me with the Russian audience in a visceral way. Better said, there were no Americans, no Russians in that audience; we were all just admirers of Michael.

I have never been to a concert since then. His performance, and what it meant for those who witnessed it on that long-ago, rainy September day, set a standard too high to match. Rest in peace, Michael. The people of Moscow, and I, will never forget you.

4860_105242928981_670488981_2750737_4529204_n.jpg

The Source:
http://www.worldhum.com/features/travel-stories/michael-jackson-and-me-strangers-in-moscow-20090626/

Michael Jackson The Humanitarian (The Lost Children)

Whenever Michael was touring he would visit orphanages and hospitals, bringing presents to the sick children, wishing them well...
He once said: "True charity is done from the heart. You do it and you don't make a big fuss about it.'' And that is just what he did!

The Jackson Family Honors Michael Jackson Feb 22 1994

Michael Jackson presents a Jackson Family Award to Berry Gordy.
I love the way he laughs and how he sounds laughing.
Just listen to the crowd going wild! Berry Gordy has some warm words for Michael: "I believed in you when you were 9, I believe in you now and I will always believe in you!"

[size=+1]History Era[/size]

Michael Jackson - King of Billboard's Pop Charts
By Monica Herrera, N.Y.
June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson's impact on pop music history is impossible to overstate.

The 1982 album "Thriller," the singer's career-defining release, has sold 28 million albums in the U.S. according to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), making it the top-selling studio album in the U.S. of all time. (Only an Eagles greatest-hits collection has sold more.)
"Thriller" topped the Billboard 200 chart for 37 weeks, the second-longest run at No. 1 of any album in history.

Over the course of his solo career, Jackson charted 47 singles on the Billboard Hot 100, 13 of which went to No. 1. As part of the Jackson 5, he earned an additional four No. 1 Hot 100 hits.

His "Thriller" album was the first to spawn seven top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart while his 1987 follow-up album, "Bad," became the first to see five of its singles reach No. 1.Jackson was also the first act to ever debut at No. 1 on the Hot 100 with "You Are Not Alone" on Sept. 2, 1995.

His last studio project, 2001's "Invincible," has sold 2.1 million copies in the U.S. according to Nielsen SoundScan. The set's first single, "You Rock My World," became the entertainer's final top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

His catalog of albums continues to sell strongly. Since "Thriller" was reissued in February 2008 in a special deluxe edition, it has sold 774,000 copies in the U.S. according to Nielsen SoundScan. The album re-entered Billboard's Top Pop Catalog chart at No. 1 with 166,000 sold in its first week. According to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), it was the 32nd biggest selling album in the world last year and the ninth best seller for Sony Music.

95255-MJ_ChartImage2.jpg

Source: http://www.billboard.com/news/micha...kson-king-of-billboard-s-pop-1003988140.story

Michael Jackson - Making of Stranger in Moscow Short Version

This video makes me think of someone's signature here on MJJC.
Type in "definition of sexy" at Google
Did you mean : Michael Jackson
YES! :heart:

Michael Jackson Earth Song Live Performance in Brunei 1996

This performance does not include the tank and the soldier and the little girl with the sunflower as a peace offering, but it is a great, awesome performance nonetheless!

Last edited:
Back