Wimbledon Tennis! Anyone here watch/like?

Billie_Jean09

Proud Member
I just thought I'd ask whether anyone here likes or watches the big grand slam tennis tournaments? ie Wimbledon?:)
I love Wimbledon tennis and have been several times!
The king of the grass court Roger Federer is out, but Andy Murray is through to the semi finals! :D
I know that any talk of Murray and court is a swear word here, but Andy Murray is the closest thing we have in England to a winner on home turf!
Just thought it would be nice to see who else likes tennis and watches!
Hope I'm not the only one! lol :doh:

Yeh I've been wathcing it ;) I wanted Yen hsun Lu to go through to the semi finals but now im backin Djokovic to win :)

I am a huge Roger Federer fan and go to the Australian Open every year! Roger even know us and invited us to private funtions before! hahah! We even got him to come out after his conferance to sign our van which is decorate in honour of him! Ofcourse we got so many pictures and autographs from him already lol!
It was very dissapointing to see him out of Wimbledon so early. I'm not sure who I would go for now but I definately don't want Nadal to win! ahah! Murray will be good, he had been in GS final twice already, I think he deserve it this time more than Nadal or Novak. Let's see.

I Have been watching but not as much as most years,
Have been a few times too :D
Strawberries and cream :p hehe!

I am a huge Roger Federer fan and go to the Australian Open every year! Roger even know us and invited us to private funtions before! hahah! We even got him to come out after his conferance to sign our van which is decorate in honour of him! Ofcourse we got so many pictures and autographs from him already lol!
It was very dissapointing to see him out of Wimbledon so early. I'm not sure who I would go for now but I definately don't want Nadal to win! ahah! Murray will be good, he had been in GS final twice already, I think he deserve it this time more than Nadal or Novak. Let's see.

Thanks for your reply Rainbow. My son has never forgiven me and still teases me to this day that we only just missed out on getting Roger's autograph! :doh:
He was practising on an outside court on the morning of day 1 the first ever year he went on to win his 1st ever Wimbledon title!
He came off the court right where we HAD been standing! :(
He's a daddy now to twin girls a year old so maybe fatherhood has somehow affected his performance?
Trouble is RF has set the bar so high that critisism will come, but he is still an excellent player, a real champ, humble and modest too! :agree:

oh yes Lorraine! I'll be watching the mens semi finals later on this pm with my bowl of strawberries and cream! :D
Come on Andy! ok I know he's Scottish but it's still the UK! Wayyyy hayy! :D

I dont like murray he dont like english people, I dont understand or watch it but i was gonna go see it the other day but you had to que for like 5 hours so though allow that

I know all about those queues in Church road SW19! :doh:
I had centre court tickets offered to me via the public ballot but they were for 25th June.:(
Not only was this a day I wouldnt have been in the mood for tennis or any celebrating, but also I couldnt afford the tickets, so let them go back into the system for someone else to buy.
I know that Murray has been a bit defensive in the past, but he's the closest person we have in the UK now to win, since Tim Henman retired!:yes:
Scotland is still in the UK!

oh yes Lorraine! I'll be watching the mens semi finals later on this pm with my bowl of strawberries and cream! :D

I watched Serena Williams defeat Maria Sharapova. I was then hoping for an all Williams sister final but Venus was knocked out too. I'm no longer interested.:(

Strawberries and cream . . . .:D

Billie_Jean09, is your username in honor of tennis great Billie Jean King?

I watched Serena Williams defeat Maria Sharapova. I was then hoping for an all Williams sister final but Venus was knocked out too. I'm no longer interested.:(

Strawberries and cream . . . .:D

Billie_Jean09, is your username in honor of tennis great Billie Jean King?

:D yeah lol! :clapping:
Remember there was some concern that Michael's Billie Jean might be confused with or likened to the tennis player Billie Jean King? :doh:
How funny! Glad you reminded me of that Agent!
Also it's lovely to chat with people who are old enough to know that! :wub:
You cannot be serious??? lol remember John MacEnroe? Chalk dust!:doh:
Nowadays they have technology as in hawk eye!:agree:

Not sure where some folks think he doesn't like English people. He is proud to be Scottish but that in no way implies a dislike of the English. (The usual media crap twisting things to suit an agenda.) I am Scottish and am married to an English woman but I can say this, I love winding her up about her being English and I can tell you this, she gives as good as she gets but its all in fun.

I find all this country pride a load of old tosh anyway. Just man made lines in the earth. I have searched and searched for years but have still to find these lines in the real world. My parents live on the border between England and Scotland and the trees surrounding their area do not host English and Scottish birds. They are just birds.

Anyway back to the point of the thread, I will be watching and hoping.

Cheers

Mike R

I'm half scottish so it's all good. :p :lol:

Come on Andy!!!! :wild:

I'm going to see Thriller live with my mum tonight and have to leave about 5pm.
Andy is second out to play.. My mum is not happy she might miss it. :mello: LOL!

I would love to see Thriller live. Maybe one day.

Mike

I don´t watch it now but I do remember when Björn Borg and John McEnroe had their battles.
For years I was used to that Swedish players made it to the final or semifinal but there are not such good tennisplayers here now.
It means swedish tv isn´t as interested as before to send from wimbledon nowadays.

YES!! I'm watching. Big time tennis fan here. I've played since I was 5 years old, did my internship at the Australian Open. So I guess I'm officialy a tennis nut.

But today I first had to watch Holland play in the World CUp. After that I switched to WImbledon. My favourite player always was Marat Safin. But he has retired....

In November I'm flying to London to see the Masters Cup at the O2. Will be weird as my first time there was supposed to be last feb....

Federer is my fave tennis player. But I don't follow tennis that much.

Was it at Wimbledon or somewhere else where the match lasted for 11 hours few days ago? :scratch:

Rafa all the way!!! He's so georgous!! :wub:

And Novak Djokovic :wub:

My 2 favourites.

yeah i'm watching for Serena. but this is one of those moments that she could be tripped up, because her opponent seems to be on a mission, and specializes in beating good players. but on paper Serena has the edge. but Serena is humble about it, and that's good. it really feels like a wild card match, but i admire Serena for her accomplishments, already.

edit: well, i edit this post, a few days later to find that Serena has done it again. Her dominance is amazing.

Last edited:
yeah i'm watching for Serena. but this is one of those moments that she could be tripped up, because her opponent seems to be on a mission, and specializes in beating good players. but on paper Serena has the edge. but Serena is humble about it, and that's good. it really feels like a wild card match, but i admire Serena for her accomplishments, already.

edit: well, i edit this post, a few days later to find that Serena has done it again. Her dominance is amazing.

Yes Serena apparantly didnt drop a set the whole of the Wimbledon tournament.:bugeyed
She and Venus both came from humble working class homes, and their dad encouraged them to be great. See any paralells?:scratch:

Men's final begins in just under an hour!

Happy FEDERA not in the finals. He is extremely talented, is tennis royalty, but a colossal bore. No passion what so ever. From the no passion school of SAMPRAS, and TIM DUNCAN in basketball. On the other hand, NADAL is dripping with passion. Love, love, love NADAL. Hope he rules the tennis world.!!!

Last edited:
^ "dripping with passion" LOVE that description!
b13nadal19aeltcmhangst.jpg

Definitely dripping with passion!

b13nadal20aeltcmhangst.jpg

Love Rafa! So delighted for him. Felicidades Rafa!!

Yes Serena apparantly didnt drop a set the whole of the Wimbledon tournament.:bugeyed
She and Venus both came from humble working class homes, and their dad encouraged them to be great. See any paralells?:scratch:

Men's final begins in just under an hour!
yes i see the parallels. maybe that is why i root for them. it may be a controversial topic, but there is always adversity, and there hasn't been a better formula, and the worst alternative is a parent who doesn't allow their kid to be who he or she was meant to be. sometimes i think the media attacked the fathers of these legends under a convenient cover, and the real reason was resentment that these people became legends. and in reality, the media never really cared about parenting skills.

I was diaapointed RoddicK lost early in the round. US Open is next and Del Potro won't be entering. And Nadal is catching up to Federer is grand slams.

I know this thread is old but I have just found it. I am a tennis fan too, esp. Serena. I have never been to Wimbledon to actually watch matches live but I would love to do it. I just wish I could go with someone who shares the same passion but I don't know anyone.

Bump

Wimbledon is coming up again, anyone going to watch? and who are you backing?

Rafa is my all time favourite he is just so incredible, no other player makes me feel as excited about tennis or want to play tennis as much as he makes me. I hope he can hold up with that knee, though if Rolland Garros is anything to go by, he played superbly, especialyl against Djokovic, but I guess you mgiht say its his comfortable surface. I heard that he might be seeded 5 and so may have to play Djoko, Murray and Federer in consecutive matches to win :S

BUMP

This thread is old! But, I thought I;d see if anyone was recently watching the ATP finals in London? I went to the final between Rafa and Novak and it was absolutely amazing for my first tennis match. Nothing like the atmosphere! The performance Novak gave was nothing short of Godly!

Anyone else excited for 2014? Should be a great year with Rafa and Novak in such great form. Be interesting to see if Federer can win a few more titles this year, and also to see how Murray will cope after such serious back surgery. Anyone?

Oh man this thread is old. Since I last posted, I actually attended Wimbledon in 2012 and 2013, Olympics 2012, Istanbul WTA Championships in 2012 and 2013, Madrid Open in 2013. Always cheering for Serena, she's been absolutely awesome and I am not even going to lie that she helped me out of depression big time. I was lucky enough to get her autographs and she even brought a signed ball for me after her match in Istanbul this year.

Oh man this thread is old. Since I last posted, I actually attended Wimbledon in 2012 and 2013, Olympics 2012, Istanbul WTA Championships in 2012 and 2013, Madrid Open in 2013. Always cheering for Serena, she's been absolutely awesome and I am not even going to lie that she helped me out of depression big time. I was lucky enough to get her autographs and she even brought a signed ball for me after her match in Istanbul this year.

never saw your reply! thats amazing, she is absolutely phenomenal to watch. i really hope that vika or maria are able to up their game to be really able to challenge her this year though. mens is so competetive at the minute but the womens just being majorly dominated by serena. she doesnt get half as much credit she deserves as an athlete. Do you intend to attend any this year? I have my eye on Roland Garros, Madrid and maybe a day of wimbledon.

Hey guys,

With the Australian Open starting next week is anyone going to be watching???? Anyone have any picks?

I'll be watching, but I feel very sorry for the players, we are about to have heat-wave conditions here in Melbourne with temperatures reaching 40oC. HOT!!!!!!

Back