Tracy Chapman

Re: tracy chapman

I love her voice! "fast car" is her best song I think... I like "first try" too. She is so talented :)

Re: tracy chapman

Tracy did bicycle races sometimes. I don't know if she still does that now, but has in the past.
Paul_Bio_002.jpg

Nicki Minaj Track "Sorry" Sparks Tracy Chapman Lawsuit

by Ashley Cullins October 23, 2018 Hollywood Reporter
tracy_chapman_and_nicki_minaj__-_split-_getty-h_2018.jpg

Grammy Award-winning folk singer Tracy Chapman is suing Nicki Minaj, claiming she denied the rapper's request to license "Baby Can I Hold You" but she used it in "Sorry" anyway.

Over the summer Minaj and her reps made multiple requests to license Chapman's work, after having recorded "Sorry," according to a lawsuit filed Monday in California federal court. "Chapman, through her own agents and representatives, repeatedly denied [Minaj's] after-the-fact requests to use the Composition," writes attorney Robert Jacobs in the complaint. Despite that, Chapman claims Minaj gave a copy of the track, which features Nas, to New York radio DJ Funkmaster Flex who teased the song on social media before playing it on his station.

While requesting a license, Minaj's reps conveyed her track was inspired by Chapman's art, but the artist herself later tweeted that she "had no clue" the song sampled Chapman. She then asked her Twitter followers whether she should delay her upcoming album Queen in an attempt to secure the license or release the album without the track, according to the complaint. The album was released without "Sorry" on Aug. 10. Funkmaster Flex began teasing the track online the next day and after he played it "many Internet users" reproduced the song and published it online.

Chapman is suing for copyright infringement and asking the court for an injunction barring Minaj or anyone working with her from exploiting "Sorry" and requiring them to take reasonable steps to prevent third parties from exploiting it. (Read the complaint here.)

Her voice reminds me of primary school. She was really really really popular with that song so i am not really surprised she won awards.

Back