"Big Boy": Michael Jackson's First Recording, Found After 42 Years

bought a cd with all the steeltown recordings on including big boy back in the mid 90's

I have a cd called " The Jackson 5 with Michael Jackson: The First Recordings" and Big Boy is on the tracklist ;)

there 14 tracks on it. the cd is called pre history on brunswick records. it came out during the history era. remember getting it on import. was quite expensive back then.there was another cd that i spotted years later in the shops. i dont know if it had all those 14 songs on but was made by another label. it was in one of those cheap shows were they sell complimation albums for a few $£

Very cool! Lucky people, I would love to hear some of these songs..According to the Moonwalk book, Joe plays Guitar on one of the Steeltown songs, would be neat to hear these ;) Are these allowed to be uploaded to the 2000 Watts section I wonder? :)

elusive moonwalker;3151030 said:
there 14 tracks on it. the cd is called pre history on brunswick records. it came out during the history era. remember getting it on import. was quite expensive back then.there was another cd that i spotted years later in the shops. i dont know if it had all those 14 songs on but was made by another label. it was in one of those cheap shows were they sell complimation albums for a few $£

Wowww... now you can get it from £52.95 in Amazon UK, if you want it new.
Quite expensive, indeed :mello: So is in the USA (link below).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pre-History...4BNF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293062217&sr=8-1

This is the one i have

2w59e7k.jpg

I paid it only 3,95 € :)

I found it a long time ago on youtube. I am not at my home compute or I would try to post it. He was so little and so young......so cute.

elusive moonwalker;3151030 said:

Pre-History is not a good compilation. It contains tracks credited to 'The Ripples & Waves Plus Michael' (Let me carry your school books, I never had a girl) which is NOT the Jackson 5, its a totally different group. Many compilations out there have overdubs but you can find ones with the original recordings too.

Sorry people, but you're not getting the point of the story.

BIG BOY was available since the J5 DAYS in MOTOWN.

What's been found, is an ''earlier'' version of the song, not recorded at STEELTOWN, the ORIGINAL version for BIG BOY, which remains unreleased.

Pre-History is not a good compilation. It contains tracks credited to 'The Ripples & Waves Plus Michael' (Let me carry your school books, I never had a girl) which is NOT the Jackson 5, its a totally different group. Many compilations out there have overdubs but you can find ones with the original recordings too.

ripples and the waves was the original name of the j5

Last edited:
so whats with joes sister think it was her talking about how they were called that b4 the j5 name was created.

who exactly were the R&R then? any info on them

its ok ive just googled the info. *edit* the same one u just posted. so considering gordon kieth was a manager of the R&R and he created the steeltown album (depending on what u believe from the lawsuits) i guess he through in those extra songs thinking no one would know it wasnt the J5 and i guess the whole j5 being called the R&R b4 they became the j5 is b.s aswell

An excerpt from the article of CHIGAGO READER:

''Similarly, though the Ripples & Waves' "Let Me Carry Your School Books" mentions a Johnny and a Joe, they're not the Jackson Five's drummer and daddy. But when Steeltown released the song on the band's only single—the group included one of Keith's nephews—Jackson mania was in full swing, and Keith wouldn't have minded if folks made that assumption. In fact he was hoping audiences would assume they were hearing a lost Jackson Five recording, and even renamed the group "Ripples & Waves + Michael"—technically accurate, since they had a vocalist named Michael Rogers. (When I asked Keith if he wanted people to think it might be Michael Jackson, he replied, "I sure did!") Some online sources still insist that Jackson sang on the recording, but Phillip Mack, drummer for the Ripples & Waves, confirms that it was Rogers.''

Back