Prelim Hearing: Understanding & evaluating testimony / Questions about testimony

ivy

Proud Member
This thread is for further detailed examination of the preliminary hearing testimonies. It seeks to increase our understanding and find answers to any question we might have.

Reference threads

Case Summary thread

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89970

News Updates - no discussion thread

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101229

Day 1 Discussion thread

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101228

Day 2 Discussion thread

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101483

Day 3 Discussion thread

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101579

Day 4 Discussion thread

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101698

Day 5 Discussion thread

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102034

Day 6 Discussion thread

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102096

and where was dr muryr. looki at hte pictue ssing lazer pointed he was stanid right her by the night stand of the bed, reachign over the patient.

You wre oting to the far side of the bed. yes sir iaw what apeared to be a plae, thin patient wearing pajames and a ngiht cap on, on the wed.

did you se e anythign happenign. I sw the doctor atemtpin to move the bed to the floor. was anyone assisting him> I did not see anyone asisting him

Our firfeghterghght behind me, had him go aound to the heand of the bead got his arms ner the ptnits and moved him to the foot of the bed. The patnes feet wer toward us the patents head towards the fireplclace.

Did hte appeati en appear to you, did it appe that he just went down. But as soon as I picked him up, the legs were cool to the touh. when we hooked him to the ekjg we had a flat time with very little pules elect activitty.... the taps are placed on the chest of the ptneti that’s correct.

so my understanding MJ was removed to the floor only after the paramedics arrived.

he was instructed to move him immedialey to the floor when the 911 call was made, but he did not even do that?

I soon as I was in the room I started asking quesitons. Did you ask any of hte secuty perosnell any questions. id you akd any of htem if he had been taking in drugs or not. No sir.

Did I ask Drm Murry.

It would be a tandard question, but I don’t remember if I asked about recreational drugs or not.

But isnt’ it tur,e n the past, you later find out were under the influence of drungs, their own family mebers were not even waware of it. yes sir.
sometimes they are very secretie o the type of drugs that they’re taking. Yes sir that’s true.

That's Row, so it's safe to assuem MJ's family will be called to prove that point.

Last edited:
KO: He was cold, soft spoken.

EC: Was there anything else you observed?
KO: He seemed sort of, quite, in himself. He seemed to be in a state. Not present.

EC: Did it seem like he was in pain? Nauseous?
KO: I don’t know. I was confused by his state.

EC: You had a lot of people there, at this meeting to talk about including AEG to talk about Michael’s condition, is that right? (snip) The conversation on June 20th, was you were called had been about Michael had missed several (rehearsals)?

Questioning the witness about supposedly a meeting three weeks prior...witness doesn’t remember. Questions about how many rehearsals that Michael Jackson was missing.

KO: He missed a number of rehearsals, in a period. It was LATER in the rehearsals, that he missed.

EC: There was a lot of concern about this?

From his perspective, yes.

EC: Have you had any experience of someone on drug withdrawals?
KO: No.

EC: Do you remember yelling at Michael, telling him to get back in the show?

EC: Do you remember having a conversation with Karen Fay? (sp?)

The witness asked for water and we wait while the bailiff’s get him a glass.

He knew Karen Fay since she worked for the show. Was Michael Jackson's makeup and hair artist. (She) worked with him (Michael? Kenneth?) for some time.

EC: Do you remember having a conversation with Karen Fay after the meeting.

KO: I don’t I remember having a conversation with her before.
EC: Do you remember telling Karen Fay of reading Michael the riot act? Do you remember telling Karen Fay not to placate Michael?

The witness states he doesn’t know what the word means.

EC: Did you advise Karen Fay in any respect in regard to how to treat Michael after this meeting?

EC: Did you discuss with Karen Fay any thing regarding how she should treat Michael?
KO: I don't recall having any discussion with her.

EC: What time on the 19th did Michael leave the stage?
(That evening? 19th? Late evening?)
KO: It could have been 8 or 9 pm.

EC: Could it have been 12 midnight?
KO: No. He was there about 2 hours.

EC: The meeting that was called was for what time?
KO: Late morning or early afternoon. I don’t remember a time.

Questions about what time he first was notified about the meeting.

Asks him about the number of shows and that it had increased from 30 to 50 shows. Asked him if he talked to Michael about the increased number of the shows. He doesn’t remember exactly. Trying to clarify when he entered the show and if his involvement coincided with the increase for the number of shows.

EC: When did filming begin for the THIS IS IT documentary?
KO: We never filmed FOR that documentary.

KO: (Michael) He asked to film the rehearsals. The interviews were done for shows that were to be done in London. We never started filming the documentary. The documentary was never a plan. The filming of rehearsals were for our personal use. And to review rehearsals. Sometimes he had a private camera rolling. It was always through via Michael’ s request.

EC: Did you yourself do any film?

EC: What about Travis Kane? (sp)

Objection. Sustained.

Questions about how he heard about Michael’s death.

Paul G. called him. in the afternoon. He was on stage rehearsing. Paul G. called him to tell him that MJ had passed. It was sometime in the afternoon. Paul Gongaware.

withdrawal symptoms on 19th , he prescribed valium( diazepam) on 20th June? Since when valium is prescribed to wean people off propofol? As sophie said it's prescribed to treat withdrawal symptoms of lorazepam.

on 21st he called Lee with another "withdrawal symptom " that had nothing to do with propofol.

Ortega said they had a LONG weekend, then MJ came back different. 19th was Friday, So we have Saturday, Sunday and Monday. then MJ attended rehearsals at Tuesday.

Falagan was raising questions related to the stupid conspiracy theory. Karen is the source for the riot act story apparently.

Just another prove Randy and co are willing to help the defence as long as they can profit from a lawsuit against AEG.

so my understanding MJ was removed to the floor only after the paramedics arrived.

he was instructed to move him immedialey to the floor when the 911 call was made, but he did not even do that?

Alberto Alvarez & Murray moved MJ to the floor, during or right after the 911 call.

From Alberto Alvarez testimony, Trial and tribulation :
http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2011/01/dr-conrad-murray-prelim-day-2-part-i-b.html

Once the 911 concluded, (did you) give (information? instruction? to Dr. Murray (?)?
I went and I believe (I? he? -911 op? said? send?) move (Michael) to the floor. I grabbed his legs and there was an IV in his legs, so he, (Dr. Murray) took the IV out.

Dr Murray assisted in bringing the body to the floor.

Then if I remember correctly, Michael was moved again by the paramedics, around the bed.

http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2011/01/dr-conrad-murray-prelim-day-4-part-ii.html

Defense: Why wasn’t that taken on the 25th?

Fleak: I wasn’t taking anything that was injectable. I’m usually looking for pill bottles. At the time I didn’t know what Propofol was when I was there. I didn’t know it was injected intravenously. I didn’t know it would be used to administer the drugs that were there.
(...)
Fleak: In a complete death investigation we have more responsibilities than just collecting and logging evidence

And Ruffalo's testimony (The anesthesiologist and farmacologist working as well for the Medical Board):

45x what it is in the hospital blood.
That doesn’t go with your theory.

Yes, I made a mistake.

Now if we have 45x whats in the stomach than what’s in the blood. then we have evidence of oral ingestion.

We may have to check with the coroner, to check with what the numbers mean. Now, it doesn’t make sense unless he ingested it orally.

SO he had to have ingested it orally?

obj misstates evidence.

So, I may have made an assumption, depending on how the coroner reported this.

So as it stands, you made a mistake. I made an interpretation mistake. I thought it was micrograms and it’s really milligrams.
So, we’re back to it being orally? Well, we’ll have to talk to the coroner.

It’s a big difference isnt’ it? I totally agree.

What a pity!! With these testimonies on the prosecution side, all my hopes of a fair trial vanished... Not to mention the subjective opinions given by this expert, Ruffalo, when first told the prosecution he was not sure MJ was addicted to propofol and later said to the defense he was a "well known addict". He mentioned that opinion (NOT FACT) at least 5 TIMES!!
The defense would thank him afterwards... What a shame!!

Last edited:
Please remember, in America, the evidence presented "Real Trial" can be significally different
from the evidence presented in the Preliminary Hearing.

ruffalo was prob basing his statements on murrays quotes. and its not like hes gonna be called during the trial

re ruffalo testimony and propofol gastric concentration:

there was confusion about the amount of propofol found in stomach, probably because of a typo in an exhibit shown in court.

it started during the interview of witness lintmoot. the witness was stating the correct amount of propofol found in the stomach, but then later the wrong amount was referred to:

http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2011/01/dr-conrad-murray-prelim-day-5-part-ii.html

[#19 JAIME LINTEMOOT - LA co dept of coroner’s office.]

Gastric contents.

You analzied the propofol in gastric contents? Yes, that is correct.

Noticed that the autopsy report says that the stomach is not extended and takes 70 grams of dark fluid.

Did you analyise that for propofol ? Yes.
(Ans That’s not correct.)

It was 0.13 milligrams.

So, how do you make that determination. We weight ou t the total sample and then factor that into our calculations. (I don’t understand that at all.)

there was .13 of the 70 grams of propofol.

I don’t remember exactly what the contents looked like.
I was not the analysist who did the initial contents looked like. but they would have looked for pills, etc.

I’m just kinda wondering what that dark fluid looked like other than having 1.3 milligrams, and some of lidocaine, and we’ve got another 60 plus of either food or lidocaine.

Could it have been food? could it have been juice?
Objection sustained.

12 parts of lydocaine to 1 part propoofol. Ans In the stomach? Q yes. A about 12 to 1.

Ramblin question about all the different ratios of everything but for the first time there is a preponderance of lydocaine over propofol. Correct? Yes.

notice how the witness says 0.13mg were found in the stomach, but flanagan later says 1.3mg were found. he was probably getting the wrong figure from exhibit 68 (s. below)

0.13mg is actually the correct value, this is what the tox report says:

propofol gastric contents: 0.13mg
lidocaine gastric contents: 1.6mg

these values also go with what the witness said regarding the ratio between propofol and lidocaine: 12 times more lidocaine was found than propofol.

0.13mg (amount of propofol) x 12 = 1.56mg ~ 1.6mg (amount of lidocaine)

the wrong amount was referred to again the next day by walgren during his interview with ruffalo:

http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2011/01/dr-conrad-murray-prelim-day-6-part-ii.html

[direct of #22 Dr. Richard Ruffalo]

Now, I want to direct attention back to exhibit 68, want to aks specif. about some of these foundings as they may or may not relate to one another.

Gastric contents. 1.3 lido 1.6 and were you able ot determine through review medical evidence.

Coronor reported there were aditional contents of fluid, what you would do total content, 1.3 of propofol inside the 70. Same with the lidocaine.

The numbers reflect in 68, do those reflect the concentraiton.

Those reflect the amout not concentration, taht was found within the 70 mil. And with your expertiese and math, convert to a concentration.

propofol = consults notes. 0.00186 mg per milliliter.

What does that mean as far as level of concetration. It’s a very (low?) concentration compared to the liver.

Now, the lidocaine, that’ waht I would expect.

The liver for example. the propofol, the concentration is higher than what is in the stomach. Even though the liver is a very high, there is no blood flow to give that concentration back and forth. Drugs go from a high concentration to low, but they are inhibited to a degree by the organs...

You could also say the same of the heart.
going fro a high to a low concentration.

Did same for lidocaine. When converted get concentration.
.0228 milligrams per milliliter. It’s same issue as the propofol difference is difference in concentrations difference in high to low and different drugs are more or less readily diffused. Depends on their type of charge, the molecules.....

Once you ahve the concentrations taht you’ve computed, they’re very low... yes.
Are they consistent with concentrations taken orally?
No.
With lidocaine it would have to be much higher.

And how about propofol. Same.

70g of fluid was found in the stomach.

going by what the tox report says this means in the stomach was a propofol concentration of:

0.13mg / 70g ~ 0.00186mg/g = 1.86ug/g ~ 1.86ug/ml

ruffalo initially calculated the correct concentration (0.00186mg/ml), but later during cross he got confused because the wrong figure (1.3mg) was obviously displayed on exhibit 68:

http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2011/01/dr-conrad-murray-prelim-day-6-part-ii.html

[cross of #22 Dr. Richard Ruffalo]

Cross.

Flanagan.
Did you work our your map on the gastric over the noon hour? yes.

Certainly wasn’t in your report was it? No.

who did caliculations? I did.

Trying to back track for what he came up with the contents .0xx for prop. in stomach. No. Content would be numbers there. Concentration is per unit of volume.

Would you come up with those numbers, would you just ivide those numbers by 70? Yes.
In dividing by 70, piece of paper here... now wants to put that on the ELMO...

Flanagan, does this on the ELMO... converting it to concentation. the math. too funny.

Questions, about the fluid in the stomach. I stop typing. I don’t see how they are important.

Now askng about micrograms vs milligrams of the stomach content...

Yes, I made a mistake.

Now if we have 45x whats in the stomach than what’s in the blood. then we have evidence of oral ingestion.

We may have to check with the coroner, to check with what the numbers mean. Now, it doesn’t make sense unless he ingested it orally.

obj misstates evidence.

(So, his calculation over lunch may not be correct.) (me)

So as it stands, you made a mistake. I made an interpretation mistake. I thought it was micrograms and it’s really milligrams.

going by the tox report 0.45 is the actual ratio of propofol found in the stomach compared to hospital blood:

propofol hospital blood concentration: 4.1ug/ml
propofol gastric concentration: 1.86ug/ml

1.86ug/ml (concentration of propofol in stomach) ~ 0.45 x 4.1ug/ml (concentration of propofol in hospital blood)

using the wrong figure (1.3mg) from exhibit 68 would have resulted in a ratio of 4.5, how flanagan managed during his math demonstration to add another factor 10 to this i dont know..

to sum this up, going by the tox report:

- 70g of fluid was found in the stomach
- the amount of propofol found in gastric contents was 0.13mg
- this corresponds to a propofol gastric concentration of 1.86ug/ml
- propofol hospital blood concentration was 4.1ug/ml
- the ratio of propofol stomach concentration compared to propofol concentration in hospital blood was 0.45

this means a lower concentration of propofol was found in the stomach compared to blood and liver concentrations. these findings go with the scenario that blood had entered the stomach because of a hemorrhage, as the autopsy report indicates. it does not support the idea that propofol had been ingested as flanagan was trying to suggest.

btw ruffalo is a jackass. he could at least have had the sense to do some research and find out that propofol "addiction" is a completely unlikely scenario given the circumstances. its not that mj was self administering propofol hundreds of times throughout the day, because this is what propofol abusers do. they inject tiny amounts again and again and get a kick out of the euphoria which can occur when the sedating effect wears off after a few minutes. these people are always physicians, anesthesiologists and nurses with access to propofol and they self inject at home and at their workplace during break times. and btw propofol abusers dont "ingest" propofol, the idea to ingest propofol is unheard of tmk, they self-inject using 10cc syringes.

i seriously hope the DA will make some afford and find someone better than ruffalo during trial.

i seriously hope the DA will make some afford and find someone better than ruffalo during trial.

Thank you very much for clarifying all that mess with the figures.

I do hope the same as you.

well hopefully the prosecution will not put Ruffalo on the stand and will make sure who ever they have their on the stand knows what they are talking about. An expert anesthesiologist will be sufficient

i have a question: can it cause a legal problem if an exhibit contains wrong figures? like the exhibit 68 during prelim with the wrong propofol gastric amount. is an exhibit considered a legal document? how easily can a typo be corrected?

it was his opinion based on a calculation he did during the break. it wasnt the actual report from the autopsy. all that matters is what the figures said in the AR. as that is what will be used during the case

it was his opinion based on a calculation he did during the break. it wasnt the actual report from the autopsy. all that matters is what the figures said in the AR. as that is what will be used during the case

i'm not talking about ruffalo's calculations. there was a wrong figure on an exhibit shown in court (exhibit 68). this is what caused all the confusion about the propofol stomach concentration. flanagan, walgren, ruffalo were all referring to the wrong figure shown on the exhibit. read my previous post.

my question was, is an exhibit regarded a legal document? how can a typo in an exhibit be corrected?

I suppsose that typo in exhibit 68 can be easily corrected if DA requires it from the judge. Sthg similar did the defense:

Stipulation regarding the Dr. Murray transcript. Reflected on page 37 line 18 typo error, slowly infused over 25 minutes. Should read slowly infused over 3-5 minutes.

I lack the required legal knowledge, but the subsequent comment made by Ruffalo should be consequently omitted.

I suppsose that typo in exhibit 68 can be easily corrected if DA requires it from the judge. Sthg similar did the defense

ok, thanks.

but the DA didn't ask for a correction of the exhibit during the prelim hearing tmk. did he even notice the problem?

i hope the same thing will not happen again during the actual trial

Hope they finally realised the error, yet I wonder if the subsequent comments made by that expert could have contributed in any way to the fact that the charges were not increased...

After the hearing today, Geraldine Hughes was asked by a reporter what she thought about the inabilitiy of DA to explain the "high" concentrations of propofol in MJ's stomach...

And you have explained it so clearly...

How such an error could have happened!!!:doh:

smoothlugar;3209937 said:
http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2011/01/dr-conrad-murray-prelim-day-4-part-ii.html

Defense: Why wasn’t that taken on the 25th?

Fleak: I wasn’t taking anything that was injectable. I’m usually looking for pill bottles. At the time I didn’t know what Propofol was when I was there. I didn’t know it was injected intravenously. I didn’t know it would be used to administer the drugs that were there.
(...)
Fleak: In a complete death investigation we have more responsibilities than just collecting and logging evidence

And Ruffalo's testimony (The anesthesiologist and farmacologist working as well for the Medical Board):

Yes, I made a mistake.

obj misstates evidence.

What a pity!! With these testimonies on the prosecution side, all my hopes of a fair trial vanished... Not to mention the subjective opinions given by this expert, Ruffalo, when first told the prosecution he was not sure MJ was addicted to propofol and later said to the defense he was a "well known addict". He mentioned that opinion (NOT FACT) at least 5 TIMES!!
The defense would thank him afterwards... What a shame!!

It's so unbelievable.... :doh:

After the hearing today, Geraldine Hughes was asked by a reporter what she thought about the inabilitiy of DA to explain the "high" concentrations of propofol in MJ's stomach...
the AR explains it clearly and thats all that matters. rather they make the mistake now then in the trial

Yes, we know tox results were 0.13mg and not 1.3mg.

But the problem is that in the preliminary that ERROR might have prevented higher charges.

Remember, what he had previously told DA:
"Are they consistent with concentrations taken orally?
No.
With lidocaine it would have to be much higher.

And how about propofol. Same."

Only to finally nearly agree with the defense!!

What else could DA do after that expert's pseudo-conclusion to the defense??

there was a wrong figure on an exhibit shown in court (exhibit 68). this is what caused all the confusion about the propofol stomach concentration. flanagan, walgren, ruffalo were all referring to the wrong figure shown on the exhibit.

well I would hope the prosecutor gets an expert who knows what they're talking about.. I don't think drinking it would even do any harm would it? Does the defense have an expert who will say what would happened if propofol is drank?

Has there ever been anybody who has drank it to find out? Who will they track down for that?

But the problem is that in the preliminary that ERROR might have prevented higher charges.
i doubt it. the pros knew what the amounts were and there was no higher charges. it has nothing to do with obstructions charges and where are they.

In spite of my first impressions, I have to admit that that error did not play any part in the issue of the charges.
If we read the direct questions to other experts prior to Ruffalo, we can deduce that the decision from DA was to stick to the inicial charges. (Rogers' testimony, for instance).

Though initially, it seemed the defense hypotheses were not answered by the DA, in the end it proved the opposite: their theories were completely wrong and based on errors.

Thank you to all of you for making me realise that.

All this will be long and hurtful...

Thank you for this. I've been behind and pretty much missed everything due to a broken computer and a school dilemma. I've been so out of the loop with this whole case and I've been thinking about it from time to time. I'm glad I am finally catching up. I read the entire thing; very hard to read. Some details I got images in my head that I didn't even want to think about and it brought some tears to my eyes.
I really hate Murray's lawyers pushing the drug addict thing. It really just hits hard reading that. Michael's death was not his own fault.

Praying for justice...

Last edited:
i wonder about the reason why murray became distracted when he was calling anding:

i first assumed mj must have woken up and murray became distracted when he realized this, that he rushed to his side to give him a propofol bolus and administered the bolus too fast.

but another idea hit me: is it possible mj had stopped breathing (or had subdued breathing) because of lorazepam?

maybe murray realized mj was not breathing (or his breathing was subdued) when he was calling anding and he rushed to mj's side to inject flumazenil to counter the lorazepam effect. only when the antidote began to show effect and mj was waking up ("mumbling and coughing") did he give the propofol bolus. but he was nervous and rushed the bolus

if this was true it would be even more damning, but probably hard to prove :(

question:
- how likely is it that mj (who had a damaged lung, s. autopsy report for findings) would have stopped breathing or had subdued breathing with the lorazepam blood values found at time of death?
- at the same time, how likely is it mj would have woken up with these lorazepam blood values? (maybe he had developed tolerance?)

could people with medical knowledge give some input, thanks

lorazepam blood levels found in body were over 0.160ug/ml, from tox report:

[positive toxicological findings, pg. 50 in pdf]

Lorazepam heart blood: 0.162 ug/ml
Lorazepam femoral blood: 0.169 ug/ml

about flumazenil, the tox expert said at prelim they don't have an extraction method for it, that's why it was only detected at tubing.

from sprocket’s notes, witness lintemoot (tox expert):

http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2011/01/dr-conrad-murray-prelim-day-5-part-ii.html

[Prelim: Day 5 Part II - Mon, Jan 10 2011 - #19 JAIME LINTEMOOT - Cross by Flanagan]

The D tube had drugs in it? Yes.

The D tube had lydocaine propofol and flazaxidal?

You can’t analyze for flazadnil in a blood sample? We don’t have an extraction method. (futher explanation).

So you can’t test for flazadnil in the body? We don’t have a method for it.

i wonder what the problem was, we don't have lintemoot's explanation. - it's strange, because i found a reference on antidotes which says it is possible to detect flumazenil, read here:

http://www.inchem.org/documents/antidote/antidote/ant01.htm#SubSectionNumber:3.5.1

3. FLUMAZENIL

[…]

3.5.2 Quantification of the antidote in biological samples

The determination of flumazenil in plasma by gas-liquid chromatography (GLC) with nitrogen phosphorus detection is a sensitive and specific method, the detection limit being 3 ng/ml (Abernethy et al., 1983). An ethyl acetate extraction (neutral pH) of 0.1-3 ml plasma is used for sample preparation. When methylclonazepam is used as an internal standard, the graph is linear for plasma concentrations up to 200 ng/ml. The retention time for flumazenil is 3.96 min.

High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) with UV detection at 254 nm is a sensitive method for determination in urine or plasma, the detection limit being about 10 ng/ml (Timm & Zell, 1983; Bun et al., 1989). When the n-propyl ester analogue is used as an internal standard, the graph is linear for plasma concentrations up to 320 ng/ml.

murray said in his police interview he had administered flumazenil when he "found" mj not breathing, from search warrant:

[Pg 19 of 32]

Upon his return, Murray noticed that Jackson was no longer breathing. Murray began single man CPR at once, Murray also administered .2mg of Flumanezil to Jackson and called Jackson's personal assistant, Michael Amir Williams, with his cellular telephone for help.

__

here's some info from online sources about lorazepam blood values, dosage, precautions:

according to drugs.com the daily lorazepam dose should usually be 2-6mg, a dose of 4mg would correspond to initial blood level of 0.070ug/ml:

http://www.drugs.com/pro/lorazepam.html

The usual range is 2 to 6 mg/day given in divided doses, the largest dose being taken before bedtime, but the daily dosage may vary from 1 to 10 mg/day.

For insomnia due to anxiety or transient situational stress, a single daily dose of 2 to 4 mg may be given, usually at bedtime.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/lorazepam-injection.html

Intravenous: A 4-mg dose provides an initial concentration of approximately 70 ng/mL.

if a dose of 4mg produces blood levels of 0.070 ug/ml (= 70 ng/ml), blood levels of over 0.160 ug/ml could indicate murray gave a much higher dose than 4mg; to me it looks like he gave doses of 2-4mg over a period of several hours and blood levels were accumulating.

if lorazepam is given intravenously at higher doses or for prolonged periods of time patients should be ventilated according to references:

http://www.drugs.com/pro/lorazepam-injection.html

Respiratory Depression

The most important risk associated with the use of Lorazepam Injection in status epilepticus is respiratory depression. Accordingly, airway patency must be assured and respiration monitored closely. Ventilatory support should be given as required.

Status Epilepticus - Intravenous Injection

For the treatment of status epilepticus, the usual recommended dose of Lorazepam Injection is 4 mg given slowly (2 mg/min) for patients 18 years and older. If seizures cease, no additional Lorazepam Injection is required. If seizures continue or recur after a 10- to 15-minute observation period, an additional 4 mg intravenous dose may be slowly administered. Experience with further doses of lorazepam is very limited. The usual precautions in treating status epilepticus should be employed. An intravenous infusion should be started, vital signs should be monitored, an unobstructed airway should be maintained, and artificial ventilation equipment should be available.

Preanesthetic - Intravenous Injection

For the primary purpose of sedation and relief of anxiety, the usual recommended initial dose of lorazepam for intravenous injection is 2 mg total, or 0.02 mg/lb (0.044 mg/kg), whichever is smaller. This dose will suffice for sedating most adult patients and ordinarily should not be exceeded in patients over 50 years of age. In those patients in whom a greater likelihood of lack of recall for perioperative events would be beneficial, larger doses as high as 0.05 mg/kg up to a total of 4 mg may be administered

http://home.intekom.com/pharm/akromed/ativan-i.html

DOSAGE AND DIRECTIONS FOR USE

Intravenous injection should be made slowly and with repeated aspiration. Partial airway obstruction may occur in heavily sedated patients. Intravenous ATIVAN (lorazepam), when given alone in greater than the recommended dose, or at the recommended dose and accompanied by other drugs used during the administration of anaesthesia, may produce heavy sedation; therefore, equipment necessary to maintain a patent airway and to support respiration/ventilation should be available.

below is from a manual about sedation guidelines in the ICU - the manual says, during longtime sedation in ventilated patients, to achieve the target level of sedation (ramsay score 3) a dose of 8mg lorazepam is advised within first 2 hours, followed by 1mg doses hourly:

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/surgery/trauma/Protocols/SedationAnalgesiaGuidelines.pdf
[pg. 6]

DOSING LORAZEPAM
ICU patients - to achieve Ramsay 3

dose mg/hr (age<60): 2 (bolus) 3 2 1 1 1 ...
at hour: 0 (bolus) 0 1 2 4 6 ...

These lorazepam doses correspond to an anticipated ramsay sedation score of 3. ramsay sedation scores indicate how deeply asleep a patient is:

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/surgery/trauma/Protocols/SedationAnalgesiaGuidelines.pdf
[pg. 1]

Ramsay Scale

1 Anxious and agitated
2 Cooperative, tranquil, oriented
3 Responds only to verbal commands
4 Asleep with brisk response to light stimulation
5 Asleep without response to light stimulation
6 Non responsive

s. also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsay_Sedation_Scale

the ideal (target) sedation score is 3, it means a patient is asleep but can be easily awakened.

If we assume murray had given a lorazepam dose of at least 8-10mg within the last hours before tod, the above guidelines would indicate mj should have been asleep (unless he had developed tolerance?)
- anyway, i don’t know how much this guideline can be applied to a not intubated patient who’s not in pain, intubation in itself can be hard to tolerate; could mean a not intubated patient needs lower doses to achieve same level of sedation.

i also found a study comparing lorazepam to midazolan in longtime sedation at ICUs (this also applies to intubated patients who are critically ill, so i’m not sure how these figures would relate to a patient who’s not intubated and not in pain).

one goal of the study was to estimate sedation scores for corresponding benzodiazepine blood levels, from the study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11506097

A double-blind, randomized comparison of i.v. lorazepam versus midazolam for sedation of ICU patients via a pharmacologic model.

RESULTS: A two-compartment model best described the pharmacokinetics of both lorazepam and midazolam. The pharmacodynamic model predicted depth of sedation for both midazolam and lorazepam with 76% accuracy. The estimated sedative potency of lorazepam was twice that of midazolam. The predicted C50,ss (plasma benzodiazepine concentrations where P(Sedation > or = ss) = 50%) values for midazolam (sedation score [SS] > or = n, where n = a Ramsay Sedation Score of 2, 3, ... 6) were 68, 101, 208, 304, and 375 ng/ml. The corresponding predicted C50,ss values for lorazepam were 34, 51, 104, 152, and 188 ng/ml, respectively. Age, fentanyl administration, and the resolving effects of surgery and anesthesia were significant covariates of benzodiazepine sedation. The relative amnestic potency of lorazepam to midazolam was 4 (observed). The predicted emergence times from sedation after a 72-h benzodiazepine infusion for light (SS = 3) and deep (SS = 5) sedation in a typical patient were 3.6 and 14.9 h for midazolam infusions and 11.9 and 31.1 h for lorazepam infusions, respectively.

Full report available online as pdf:
http://www.consensus-conference.org/data/Upload/Consensus/1/pdf/824.pdf

the study says (in a 71 years old patient) a certain lorazepam level corresponds to a minimum sedation score with a likelyhood of 50%:

lorazepam level: 34 51 104 152 188 ng/ml
corresponding min. ramsay sedation score: 2 3 4 5 6

e.g. a lorazepam level of 50ng/ml corresponds to a ramsay sedation score of at least 3 with a likelyhood of 50%; while a level of 150ng/ml would indicate a sedation score of 5 or 6 (deep asleep) was reached with 50% likelihood (at age 71 yr).

in younger patients, levels need to be higher to achieve the same scores:

[pg.9]

Age was found to be a significant covariate of benzodiazepine sedation in the current study independent of its effects on pharmacokinetics. Older subjects required much lower benzodiazepine plasma concentrations to achieve comparable levels of sedation as compared with younger patients. This is consistent with the clinical observation that elderly patients appear to be more sensitive to the effects of benzodiazepines. Although most of the subjects in the current study were greater than 60 yr of age, there appeared to be an inverse linear relationship between age and C50,ss across the spectrum of sedation, with an 18% decrease in the benzodiazepine C50,ss value for each additional 10 yr of age. It is important not to extrapolate this result to much younger individuals, whose age is not reflected in the current study population. Otherwise, one might conclude that a 30-yr-old patient would require 3 x 18%, or 54%, higher benzodiazepine levels than a 60-yr-old individual to achieve similar levels of sedation.

lorazepam levels found in mj's blood were over 160 ng/ml (0.162 ug/ml resp. 0.169 ug/ml).

if we consider the age factor, this study would still indicate a patient with these blood values should have been asleep with a high likelyhood. (see fig. 5 in the study)

the study also says under lorazepam longtime sedation (by continuous infusion) there's a relatively high likelyhood a patient gets (too) deeply sedated at some points:

[pg.6]

During the maintenance period of sedation, subjects in the lorazepam group were optimally sedated (SS = 3 or 4) only 49% of the time versus 69% of the time for midazolam subjects (fig. 3). Lorazepam subjects were more deeply sedated (i.e. SS = 5 or 6) more often (47%) than midazolam subjects (22%). These depth of sedation differences between lorazepam and midazolam subjects were statistically and clinically significant (P = 0.0001).

Murray should never have had to 'find' MJ not breathing.. The question is why the hell wasn't he watching him since he had no monitoring equipment to watch MJ? There is no way a doctor should give a patient all of those potent medications and not be watching him. Murray should have never been in the position to 'find' MJ not breathing. According to Murray, MJ was fine and healthy. If he was fine and healthy why was he hooking him up to IV nightly for 6 weeks with loads of sedatives and propofol?

After going through testimony, there's just too many holes and inconsisities that are not being evaluated.

Maybe it was just the preliminary, and they will do so for trial.

Even though this is only an involuntary manslaughter case at the moment, I hope the prosecutors probe into those many incongruities. If not, they are clearly not on our side and don't want real justice for Michael.

But then, why is the charge insufficient in the first place? Currently, I don't trust the prosecution.

I don't know if they can do this, but maybe prosecutors can even call up a suicidologist. They've helped before in murder cases staged as suicide.

Last edited:
there was confusion about the amount of propofol found in stomach, probably because of a typo in an exhibit shown in court.

0.13mg is actually the correct value, this is what the tox report says:

propofol gastric contents: 0.13mg
lidocaine gastric contents: 1.6mg

these values also go with what the witness said regarding the ratio between propofol and lidocaine: 12 times more lidocaine was found than propofol.

0.13mg (amount of propofol) x 12 = 1.56mg ~ 1.6mg (amount of lidocaine)

the wrong amount was referred to again the next day by walgren during his interview with ruffalo:

70g of fluid was found in the stomach.

going by what the tox report says this means in the stomach was a propofol concentration of:

0.13mg / 70g ~ 0.00186mg/g = 1.86ug/g ~ 1.86ug/ml

ruffalo initially calculated the correct concentration (0.00186mg/ml), but later during cross he got confused because the wrong figure (1.3mg) was obviously displayed on exhibit 68:

going by the tox report 0.45 is the actual ratio of propofol found in the stomach compared to hospital blood:

propofol hospital blood concentration: 4.1ug/ml
propofol gastric concentration: 1.86ug/ml

1.86ug/ml (concentration of propofol in stomach) ~ 0.45 x 4.1ug/ml (concentration of propofol in hospital blood)

using the wrong figure (1.3mg) from exhibit 68 would have resulted in a ratio of 4.5, how flanagan managed during his math demonstration to add another factor 10 to this i dont know..

to sum this up, going by the tox report:

- 70g of fluid was found in the stomach
- the amount of propofol found in gastric contents was 0.13mg
- this corresponds to a propofol gastric concentration of 1.86ug/ml
- propofol hospital blood concentration was 4.1ug/ml
- the ratio of propofol stomach concentration compared to propofol concentration in hospital blood was 0.45

this means a lower concentration of propofol was found in the stomach compared to blood and liver concentrations. these findings go with the scenario that blood had entered the stomach because of a hemorrhage, as the autopsy report indicates. it does not support the idea that propofol had been ingested as flanagan was trying to suggest.

Sophie, the defence were arguing the high ratio of lidocaine (not propofol). Once converted to micrograms, the level of lidocaine is 22,8 (which is 45 times the level of lidocaine in the hospital blood).

Here you have the complete transcriptions: http://teammichaeljackson.com/trancripts_173.htm

Don't know how to interpret this; maybe as the forensic pathologist (the Chief Medical Coroner) said it has to do with postmortem redistribution of lidocaine...:doh:

Sophie, the defence were arguing the high ratio of lidocaine (not propofol). Once converted to micrograms, the level of lidocaine is 22,8 (which is 45 times the level of lidocaine in the hospital blood).

Here you have the complete transcriptions: http://teammichaeljackson.com/trancripts_173.htm

Don't know how to interpret this; maybe as the forensic pathologist (the Chief Medical Coroner) said it has to do with postmortem redistribution of lidocaine...:doh:
user_offline.gif
whats your point on this re the lidocaine? the figures are wrong? as its 45x different

When this issue was discussed, Sophie explained the typo error of exhibit 68 that read 1.3mg instead of 0.13mg of propofol found in the gastric content.

Sophie was right in her explanation: there was a typo error but that had nothing to do with what was being discussed with Ruffalo. The point of the defence was the high level of lidocaine in the gastric content, not the level of propofol, though the transcription in Trials &T.. was not complete and didn't specify whether it was the lidocaine or the propofol...

The lidocaine found in gastric content was 1.6mg. To get the concentration that figure must be divided into 70 (the 70ml of the liquid content) and we must use the same unit of measure as in the rest of samples:
ug (micrograms) / ml:
1.6 mg= 1600 ug (micrograms). 1600/70= 22.8ug/ml
The lidocaine in hospital blood was 0.51. 22.8 is 45 times that.

I don't understand the defense point, I know what they are aiming at, but I won't accept it. However, we need logical explanations from experts that contradict their innuendos. I remember the defense insisted with all the experts about the proportion of lidocaine in the stomach. The most feasable explanation was the one given by Rogers, that of the different redistribution of lidocaine, but the defense argued that it wasn't distributed in the same way in the rest of the system...

Back