Murray hires a new lawyer / Geragos raises conflict of interest issue

ivy

Proud Member
Dr. Conrad Murray hires new lawyer
From Ted Rowlands, CNN

Nareg Gourjian joins Ed Chernoff and J. Michael Flanagan to defend the doctor
He replaces lawyer Joseph Low, who is leaving the team; the trial is to start March 24

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Dr. Conrad Murray, whose involuntary manslaughter trial starts next month, has hired a new lawyer for his legal team.

Los Angeles lawyer Nareg Gourjian will assist lawyers Ed Chernoff and J. Michael Flanagan in defending Murray, who is charged in pop star Michael Jackson's death.

A document filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court on Monday said Gourjian is replacing Joseph Low, who is leaving the Murray defense team.
Gourjian is a former of associate of Mark Geragos, a lawyer known for high-profile criminal cases. He helped Geragos with those cases, including Chris Brown's domestic violence charge and the trial of Scott Peterson, who was convicted of killing his wife.

Gourjian currently represents Joe Finley, an "America's Got Talent" prospect whose wife was found dead last fall at a Los Angeles hotel.

Murray is accused of killing Michael Jackson in June of 2009 with an overdose of the anesthetic propofol.

The defense lawyers and prosecution will meet for a hearing Tuesday to discuss discovery motions and other issues as they prepare for the start of jury selection on March 24.

Judge Michael Pastor ruled last week that the trial can be televised.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/02/14/conrad.murray.lawyer/index.html

Re: Murray hires a new lawyer

When I saw the title of this thread I was surprisingly disheartened...thinking that Chernoff had found good sense and left the team. Good to know he's STILL running the Murray show. They make a perfect team of incompetence, imo.

This new guy...whatever. Peterson got convicted so I'm not impressed.

Thanks for posting, Ivy.

When I saw the title of this thread I was surprisingly disheartened...thinking that Chernoff had found good sense and left the team. Good to know he's STILL running the Murray show. They make a perfect team of incompetence, imo.

This new guy...whatever. Peterson got convicted so I'm not impressed.

Thanks for posting, Ivy.
My thoughts exactly!!!.....Thank you Ivy..:)

Chernoff is an odd lawyer, in my opinion.

This lawyer, Chernoff, is not stupid. He can't be, based on his history in his profession.

I don't want to say too much, but either murray is the guiltiest man in the world, and not even chernoff can defend him, or it's something else about Chernoff....the questions that he asks in court.....has anyone noticed something particular about them?

the questions that he asks in court.....has anyone noticed something particular about them?

asking about the fingerprints to the bodyguards?

to be frank Murray is a murderer. Even if he got of Scot free we know what he did and he knows what he did. The Guilt WILL get him. Michael did nothing wrong to anyone he didnt deserve to die like that. It was NOT his time to go and it was not gods plan for him to leave yet no matter how many think it was. what His lawyers will do is plant doubt in not only the jury's head but the fans and people beyond that. We all know Michael couldnt do this himself for one Michael didnt know how, 2 i dont believe he would just get fed up and do it himself anyway. 3 murrays team are doing nothing but showing off anyway. they are full of doubt but they have nothing to back up murray. Michael has all that going for him. Murray is the one who wasnt paying attention, Murray was the one who didnt call 911 at the proper time, Murray is the one who didnt preform CPR properly and being a Cardiologist makes me wonder alot about were he got his medical license. Murray is the one who tried to clean up the crime scene, He is the one who asked if anyone else in the room Knew CPR. Hes the one who Killed Michael with a drug he KNEW was not to be out of a ER Or a hospital setting. Tell me again who is at fault?. Tell me again why Murray is on trial...

I dont know what to hink of Chernoff.. although he does come across as another Biran Oxbrain at times, he had an interesting career so far, and you cannot achieve that without having some kind of brains. I just hope that all of these lawyers will be of no use for murdering Murray.

to be frank Murray is a murderer. Even if he got of Scot free we know what he did and he knows what he did. [...] Michael did nothing wrong to anyone he didnt deserve to die like that. It was NOT his time to go and it was not gods plan for him to leave yet no matter how many think it was. what His lawyers will do is plant doubt in not only the jury's head but the fans and people beyond that. We all know Michael couldnt do this himself for one Michael didnt know how, 2 i dont believe he would just get fed up and do it himself anyway. 3 murrays team are doing nothing but showing off anyway. they are full of doubt but they have nothing to back up murray. Michael has all that going for him. Murray is the one who wasnt paying attention, Murray was the one who didnt call 911 at the proper time, Murray is the one who didnt preform CPR properly and being a Cardiologist makes me wonder alot about were he got his medical license. Murray is the one who tried to clean up the crime scene, He is the one who asked if anyone else in the room Knew CPR. Hes the one who Killed Michael with a drug he KNEW was not to be out of a ER Or a hospital setting. Tell me again who is at fault?. Tell me again why Murray is on trial...

So very true...

Chernoff is very cunning, he gives me the creeps. It beats me as to why anyone would want to join this team, other than to get their face on TV, but then I suppose thats Key to these people.

Chernoff is very cunning, he gives me the creeps. It beats me as to why anyone would want to join this team, other than to get their face on TV, but then I suppose thats Key to these people.
exactly..what is the glamor in defending a Dr. that killed his patient? Who would want to defend a guilty person....I dont get people sometimes. I wonder how these defense lawyers live with themselves.

These kind of lawyers don't work for nothing.
I wonder where Murray is getting the big money to pay them,
and, yes, Murray is a professional murderer.

A document filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court on Monday said Gourjian is replacing Joseph Low, who is leaving the Murray defense team.
Gourjian is a former of associate of Mark Geragos, a lawyer known for high-profile criminal cases. He helped Geragos with those cases, including Chris Brown's domestic violence charge and the trial of Scott Peterson, who was convicted of killing his wife.

I wonder why Joseph Low left the defense team. Did he decide to get off of that sinking ship? I wonder!

No offense but Mark Geragos hasn't won a case in a dog's age, so saying you worked with him, only means you "may" have a big mouth like him and/or love the television camera like him. LOL!

These kind of lawyers don't work for nothing.
I wonder where Murray is getting the big money to pay them,
and, yes, Murray is a professional murderer.

Exactly, These lawyers are not going to come cheap, I have lots of thoughts as to how they will be paid.

Well now isn't this interesting:

Nareg Gourjian joined the Gourjian Law Group in January 2010. Mr. Gourjian provides GLG the highest quality of service consistent with his training and background.

Upon graduating from Loyola Law School, Mr. Gourjian practiced for seven years with the prominent law firm of Geragos & Geragos. At the Geragos firm, Mr. Gourjian served as co-counsel with managing partner Mark J. Geragos on numerous high profile cases including King of Pop Michael Jackson, R&B singer Chris Brown, Scott Peterson, and hip-hop/rap artist Nate Dogg.
http://www.gourjianlaw.com/nareg.html

And so I think I can guess why he has been hired. Although I hope my evil thoughts are wrong.

EXCLUSIVE: Michael Jackson's Ex-Lawyer Considering Asking Judge To Remove Dr Conrad Murray's New Attorney From Case

The lawyer who helped win Michael Jackson’s acquittal on child molestation charges is considering asking a Los Angeles judge to stop another attorney from being added to the legal team of the pop star’s former doctor, who is facing charges of involuntary manslaughter.

Nareg Gourjian is joining forces with Conrad Murray’s lawyers Ed Chernoff and Michael Flanagan, who are preparing to defend the doctor at trial, beginning on March 24.

Gourjian is a former of associate of Mark Geragos, a lawyer known for high-profile criminal cases, including Chris Brown's domestic violence charge and the trial of Scott Peterson, who was convicted of killing his wife.

Herein lies the problem, as RadarOnline.com has learned.

Gourijian was also an associate of Geragos' law firm and worked on Jackson’s successful defense during the late singer’s infamous 2005 trial, where he stood accused of seven counts of child molestation and two counts of administering an intoxicating agent to a 13-year-old male.

Gregaros is so concerned that a former member of his team, who was privy to the King of Pop’s personal information, is now working to defend the man accused of killing him.

“Mark is concerned about the conflict of interest because Nareg worked on Michael's molestation defense,” the source told RadarOnline.com.

“Nareg was privy to details about Michael Jackson's life that were never made public.

“This is very, very bothersome to Geragos.

“Mark is considering filing paperwork with Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael E. Pastor stating he believes there is an obvious conflict of interest.

“Nareg knows that Mark is concerned about this."

Murray is accused of responsibility for the pop icon's death on June 25, 2009 by administering an overdose of the powerful sedative Propofol, with which Jackson was being treated to help him to sleep.

There is a pretrial hearing in Dr. Conrad Murray's case this afternoon, but the embattled doctor won't be there.

Geragos could appear in person at the hearing to detail his concerns to Judge Pastor.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...-new-attorney-could-present-conflict-interest

Re: Murray hires a new lawyer / Is there conflict of interest?

noway....they have to get that guy off the defense team....there s no way this would be a fair trial..

If this lawyer, whatshisname, knows that Geragos is concerned, why take the case? If he is such a smart lawyer, he should know if this is conflict of interest. No? It certainly looks as if things are being setup to go after Michael
However: "In the legal profession, the duty of loyalty owed to a client prohibits an attorney (or a law firm) from representing any other party with interests adverse to those of a current client." Operative word being 'current'. Michael's not a current client of whatshisname. Ethically and morally it seems he should not be involved in murray's defense, esp., as it appears the defense is targeting Michael.

Sounds like Marc being Marc

The Psalms

The LORD Is My Shepherd

A Psalm of David.

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters. Rev. 7.17

3He restoreth my soul:
he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil;my cup runneth over.

6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

I wonder why Joseph Low left the defense team. Did he decide to get off of that sinking ship? I wonder!

No offense but Mark Geragos hasn't won a case in a dog's age, so saying you worked with him, only means you "may" have a big mouth like him and/or love the television camera like him. LOL!
LOL

This was funny. Cracked me up.

Let's be thankful that he did good by MJ on the witness stand. *phew*;D lol

I find this latest development very disturbing and i would not be surprised if it was deliberately engineered to have an excuse to bring up the accusations and to make insinuations like in the article above. This lawyer they say was privy to things about michael not previously made public. Of course there is a conflict of interest and they bloody well knew it too. I get a really bad feeling when i read shit like this.

Judge Questions Conrad Murray's Hiring of Lawyer Who Once Worked for Michael Jackson Defense Team [Updated]

February 15, 2011 | 2:38 pm

<!-- sphereit start -->The judge handling the trial of Michael Jackson&#8217;s physician expressed concern Tuesday that the doctor recently hired a lawyer who once worked for a firm that defended the pop star from child molestation charges.

[Updated at 3:19 p.m.: Dr. Conrad Murray added attorney Nareg Gourjian to his defense team for the involuntary manslaughter trial set to begin next month. Gourjian formerly worked for Mark Geragos, who was Jackson&#8217;s attorney about seven years ago in the run-up to molestation trial in Santa Maria.]

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor said at a hearing Tuesday that he was worried about a possible conflict of interest and would seek input from Jackson&#8217;s estate before ruling.

Gourjian said he was a junior associate who had &#8220;minimal&#8221; involvement in the Jackson defense and said, &#8220;There is no conflict.&#8221; The singer changed lawyers before trial.

The defense gave the prosecution a list of more than 90 potential witnesses. The prosecution has already turned over a list of more than 100 names.

Murray could face four years in prison if convicted.
-- Harriet Ryan at L.A. County Superior Court

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/02/conrad-murray-michael-jackson.html
<!-- sphereit end -->

Possible conflict of interest delays new lawyer for Dr. Murray
By Alan Duke, CNN
February 15, 2011 -- Updated 2250 GMT (0650 HKT)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Murray wants lawyer Nareg Gourjian to join his defense team
Gourjian's old firm says he worked on Michael Jackson's criminal defense
The judge will decide if there is a conflict of interest
Gourjian says he was too busy with Scott Peterson to work for Jackson
Los Angeles (CNN) -- The judge delayed a decision on allowing a new lawyer to join Dr. Conrad Murray's defense team until he can determine if there is a conflict of interest.
The lawyer, Nareg Gourjian, had worked on Michael Jackson's child molestation defense.
Murray, who is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the death of Michael Jackson, wants Gourjian to replace Joseph Low, who left the defense team earlier this month.
Gourjian's former law firm, headed by lawyer Mark Geragos, raised the possible conflict of interest before Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor at a hearing Tuesday.
"We have a great amount of respect for Mr. Gourjian, but it is our duty to disclose his participation in our past representation for Mr. Jackson," Geragos and Geragos attorney Pat Harris said.
The Geragos firm represented Jackson for two years starting in 2003, when he was charged with child molestation. Jackson replaced Geragos with Thomas Mesereau in 2004, saying he wanted an attorney who would devote his full time to his case.
Geragos was also defending Scott Peterson, who was charged with murdering his wife, at the same time.
Gourjian told the judge he was "in no way inolved" in the Jackson case because he was "a brand-new lawyer" busy working on the Scott Peterson murder case at the time.
The decision rests on if Gourjian's work for Jackson was "substantially related" to the current case and if his work for the defense would require "Gourjian to attempt to discredit his former client directly or indirectly," Pastor said.
The judge delayed a decision until more facts are provided by Geragos and there is a response from the lawyer for Michael Jackson's estate.
Mark Geragos will be asked to appear at the next hearing on February 24, the judge said.
Murray is also represented by Houston lawyer Ed Chernoff and J. Michael Flanagan of Los Angeles.
The defense demanded a speedy trial at last month's arraignment, the trial to start by the end of March. Jury selection is now set for March 24.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/02/15/california.conrad.murray.hearing/

when they they will talk to the estate about this..does that mean the Jackson's?

edit...
never mind....they are talking about a lawyer from the estate.

Last edited:

noway....they have to get that guy off the defense team....there s no way this would be a fair trial..

I agree. He was privy to financial and personal information regarding Michael when he worked with Geragos during the preparation for and the trial in 2005. I will be very suspicious of the legal system in LA if this Judge allows Gourjian to remain with the defense (not that I'm not already!) if Geragos makes the request. If Geragos doesn't make the motion, then the Pros should!

I find this latest development very disturbing and i would not be surprised if it was deliberately engineered
I do feel the same about it.

It seems that Gourijian knows more than he's admitting to. If Geragos is concerned enough to take it before the Judge, then that speaks volumes.

The prosecutions list of 100 names+ will have among them witnesses who were at the scene on 25th, I can't wait to hear who the defence 90 witnesses are, or what they could possibly bear witness too.

Lawyer with Jackson ties wants to represent doctor
By Linda Deutsch

LOS ANGELES&#8212;A lawyer who worked for attorney Mark Geragos during his representation of Michael Jackson wants to join the defense team representing Jackson's doctor on an involuntary manslaughter charge.

The move Tuesday by attorney Nareg Gourjian raised an issue of possible conflict of interest.

Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor said he wants to hear from Geragos and an attorney for the Jackson estate on whether Gourjian's involvement in the case of Dr. Conrad Murray would be a breach of loyalty to Jackson under California's Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys.

The judge set a hearing for Feb. 24 on the issue.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/a...id=Boston.com+/+Boston+Globe+--+National+News

EXCLUSIVE: Judge Considering Conflict Of Interest Objection To Dr Conrad Murray's New Attorney

Judge Michael Pastor has yet to approve Dr. Conrad Murray's new attorney, Nareg Gourjian to officially join the doctor's defense team as he gears up to fight manslaughter charges stemming from the 2009 death of his former patient, Michael Jackson.

As RadarOnline.com first reported, Jackson's former defense attorney, Mark Geragos has voiced concerns about Gourjian's appointment to Murray's defense team, citing a possible conflict of interest as Gourjian previously worked with Geragos, defending Michael Jackson against molestation charges.

In court Tuesday, Judge Michael E Pastor requested that Geragos attend the next pre-trial hearing on February 24 for "a fact specific determination" to ascertain if there is a conflict of interest with Gourjian repping Murray.

Judge Pastor also invited Michael Jackson Estate powerhouse lawyer, Howard Weitzman to give the estate a chance to respond also.

Gourijian was an associate of Geragos' law firm and worked on Jackson's successful defense during the late singer's infamous 2005 trial, where he stood accused of seven counts of child molestation and two counts of administering an intoxicating agent to a 13-year-old male.

As RadarOnline.com previously reported, Gregaros is concerned that a former member of his team, who was privy to the King of Pop's personal information, is now working to defend the man accused of killing him.

"Mark is concerned about the conflict of interest because Nareg worked on Michael's molestation defense," a source told RadarOnline.com.

"Nareg was privy to details about Michael Jackson's life that were never made public.

"This is very, very bothersome to Geragos."

In the brief pre-trial hearing, it was also revealed that there are 91 defense witnesses, and 107 witnesses for the prosecution.

Dr Murray is accused of causing the pop icon's death on June 25, 2009 by administering an overdose of the powerful sedative Propofol, with which Jackson was being treated to help him sleep.

The trial is set to start March 24.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...lict-interest-objection-dr-conrad-murrays-new

Back