Movie cliches that p**s you off

analogue

Proud Member
Are there any movie cliches that really piss you off?

I got a few

Stupid villians - There's always that scene where the villian has the hero right where he/she wants him/here. They could could kill them right there but instead the villian talks to him/her. Just kill them!

Star Wars parodies - Yeah Star Wars is cool and all but the parodies are getting way out of hand. Give it a rest allready!

when the wedding of the protagonist is stopped by the love of his/her life :lol: Like that happens in real life all the time.

Last edited:
When a character goes "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" like it's gonna prevent something bad from happening. Sometimes it is funny, but sometimes i feel like saying "shut your big mouth !!!!!".

Last edited:
In scary movies the characters always have to check where the weird sound is coming from. Man, just run for your life. I would.
In love movies i can't stand when they make promises for eternal love. Yeah, right. I bet in real life they would have broken up in three weeks.

cat scares - used in so many movies, ridiculous, how many times can movies show a cat jumping out of a cabinet etc

pretending to be attacked or electrocuted when touching something - so lame and predictable

women falling down while running - almost every single horror film uses this

sex scenes/nude scenes in horror movies - almost every horror movie has one or more

the use of jerks, nerds, token black guy, slut female & the perfect nice guy/girl - so many movies use this formula, especially horror movies

In scary movies the characters always have to check where the weird sound is coming from. Man, just run for your life. I would.
In love movies i can't stand when they make promises for eternal love. Yeah, right. I bet in real life they would have broken up in three weeks.

Haha very nice post thx. :)

About characters checking where the sound is coming from, well haha, i have no precise examples of what you are referring to in mind, but i think they might do that to run in the right direction lol. :)

Haha very nice post thx. :)

About characters checking where the sound is coming from, well haha, i have no precise examples of what you are referring to in mind, but i think they might do that to run in the right direction lol. :)

They definitely should. :D

When the world is falling apart, literally, and two characters are resolving their personal problems instead of saving their asses :lol:

ah what makes me explode is the always HAPPY END even in Thrillers... Gee, when all is lost, I mean all is LOST and don't try to 'forge' it...
Like in "The arrival" : The 'protagonist had to be 'swallowed' by a tornado kinda thang and still he hung on for dear life and the only thing he got were 'ripped clothes'
Come on, be reasonable, hey...

oh and a NEW one if characters die and they come back to life... ARGH, that blows my top...
Like in "Snowwhite", its NOT FAIR that the Prince gives her the kiss of life...
"When you're dead, you're dead, period... " I screamed. You should have seen my mum's face...

That women are freighty b*tches who spent the predominant parts of their lives screaming in fear about xyz. Mouse, spider, etc.

I second that.

Most comic sidekicks are not funny but hugely annoying instead. Most of them seem to serve no purpose whatsoever, other than maybe trying to make the film seem more contemporary by telling stupid jokes. :doh: One of my favorite scenes involving a so-called comic sidekick was in the film Last Action Hero where this 12-year-old boy is taken into an action film, and in the film he finds himself in a dangerous car chase. The kid is certain that he's going to survive because he's the hero, until he realizes that he's actually the comic sidekick and therefore it doesn't matter what happens to him, and as a consequence the boy ends up in the trash can. I liked how everything went wrong for the kid the moment he realized that he's not the hero, but the disposable sidekick. :rofl:

Romantic comedies,, it's always the same thing!
A perfect, beautiful girl that is having a relationship with an insensitive jock, while the nerd always watches from the side. :doh:

College students seem to be really stupid in every horror movie. I'm amazed by that.

^I'm not. I find that to be one of the most true-to-life things the horror film genre has managed to portray in its motion pictures.

Romantic comedies,, it's always the same thing!
The beautiful, perfect girl is in a relationship with an insensitive jock, while the nerd watches from the side. :doh:

Yeah, the idiot girl is usually presented as being "beautiful and perfect", and, of course, she chooses an idiot guy who is also "beautiful and perfect"--on the outside, but an insensitive jerk on the inside.

Intelligence is almost always presented as unattractive [with a higher female to male ration in the correlation between intelligence and ugliness], whether the subject be male or female. There's another movie cliche which annoys the Hell out of me. No wonder we have so many stupid people attempting to emulate even stupider fictional people. :doh:

-The overuse of "adorable (but seriously dangerous) kids" in horror movies... I mean yeah, it is proven that a kid monster is more disturbing than an adult monster, but come on!

-When the bad guys shoot hundreds of bullets towards the good guys without hitting and then the hero kills a villain with single, perfectly aimed a bullet... -.-

-When people stop to talk when they should be running. "OMG are you ok?!" "OMG yes I am, are you?!" "OMG I think so" "OMG we should be running" "OMG let's do that" (... I hope I made my point)

Hero walks away in slow motion when something explodes behind him.

Wolverine-006.jpg

In most Zombie or Virus movies one of the good guys practically always end up getting infected, tries to hide it and then when it's revealed that they're infected they heroically go on a suicidal rampage kamikaze mission to help the remaining unaffected... I swear it seems to happen in nearly everyone I've seen lol

Kids using crap words like "s#^%" and "f@^%", happy things like clowns, dolls and even kids become blood thirsty killers. I mean what kind of filmmakers make such god awful movies like this?

Kids using crap words like "s#^%" and "f@^%", happy things like clowns, dolls and even kids become blood thirsty killers. I mean what kind of filmmakers make such god awful movies like this?

You mean like these?

This scene is not from a film, but from a TV show, but anyway:

Kid+Lucy.png

3045626532_2f08d02d95.jpg

chucky_by_toothless422-d31h4dw.jpg

I dunno, I like them. :D

PoP;3428883 said:

Well Pop, as far as clowns are concerned lol, i got three words for ya buddy: John Wayne Gacy. According to wikipedia:

John Wayne Gacy, Jr. (March 17, 1942 – May 10, 1994) was an American serial killer also known as the Killer Clown who committed the rape and murder of 33 teenage boys and young men between 1972 and 1978. Twenty-six of Gacy's victims were buried in the crawlspace of his home, three others elsewhere on his property and four victims were discarded in a nearby river.
Gacy became known as the "Killer Clown" due to his charitable services at fundraising events, parades and children's parties where he would dress as "Pogo the Clown," a character he devised himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_Gacy

Sorry if i shocked anybody. Some people are just sick and, as a consequence, inspire the movie industry i guess.

Last edited:
^Ah! Good old Pogo the Clown. A film was made regarding his crimes:

I don't think anyone would find it new/shocking/surprising. The guy and his crimes are pretty well known, especially in the U.S.

^^^ Damn, i quoted your post by mistake lol, i was actually quoting Pop's post, lemme modify this. Thx for the youtube video Mikie, i heard about this movie a long time ago but have not watched it. It is a little too sick for me. The trailer alone is sick. The guy who plays John looks like him so much. Did they let him out to shoot the movie ?

You are so right when you say "especially in the USA". The list of serial killers over the years there goes on and on. Do not get me wrong, i am not saying every single American citizen is a serial killer.

Last edited:
I like to read and watch documentaries about serial killers. Dahmer is one I highly recommend. My prof. and I discussed John Wayne Gacy, lol, after he jokingly compared one of our classmates to him because he liked to paint. :lol: Just for the record, said guy didn't take offence to that, as he knew it was in jest. (Gacy liked to paint: http://www.museumsyndicate.com/artist.php?artist=475 )

We ended up discussing this film, which that student did see, because he's a huge movie guy. He said it was pretty good, so I want to see it. Just sayin, without meaning to derail the thread any further, lol. Sorry! ^^;

College students seem to be really stupid in every horror movie. I'm amazed by that.

THIS!! So annoying. And it seems like it's always a girl who does something ridiculously stupid.. like walking into a deserted house to find her friend or something.

-The overuse of "adorable (but seriously dangerous) kids" in horror movies... I mean yeah, it is proven that a kid monster is more disturbing than an adult monster, but come on!

The use of kids and animals in horrors really gets on my nerves now. I mean when it was first done (or well, when I first saw horrors with children in them) it freaked me out, but now it's just old. I jsut watched "Insidious" and the whole "it's your son that's haunted" line was just so not scary at all. Paranormal Activity 2 comes to mind also with the use of babies and animals to make it scarier.

I like to read and watch documentaries about serial killers. Dahmer is one I highly recommend. My prof. and I discussed John Wayne Gacy, lol, after he jokingly compared one of our classmates to him because he liked to paint. :lol: Just for the record, said guy didn't take offence to that, as he knew it was in jest. (Gacy liked to paint: http://www.museumsyndicate.com/artist.php?artist=475 )

My housemates and I like reading about serial killers too (sounds weird but it's really interesting) and we spent an entire night procrastinating and wikipedia-ing serial killers. Gacy was one of the first ones we came across.. sick guy. :no:

My housemates and I like reading about serial killers too (sounds weird but it's really interesting)

Can't agree more. I'm fascinated with 'em myself. Aileen Wuornos is who interests me the most; not just because she was a woman but because although I don't condone her murdering people I can feel sympathy for her because of the situations she got in to and the way her life was - to me it seems like a confluence of circumstances conspired to make her become a killer as if she had little choice but to be anything else.

Another cliche I find funny/weird is that in any high tension situation (a maniac murderer is on the loose or a bomb is going to go off if not deactivated ect.) there's always time for two of the characters to go to bed together!! I can't think of any worse of a turn off than the thought of been killed or blown up lol

Back