What genre were the up-tempo songs on Invincible?

Gonetoosoon

Proud Member
Particularly I'm talking about Unbreakable, Heartbreaker, Invincible, 2000 Watts, Privacy and Threatened. They all have a very similar sound/fit into a particular genre - but I can't seem to put a finger on what it is exactly. I dont think I've ever heard much like it on any other record. It's a very industrial, pop-ish feel with some mechanical rawness to it. The first three tracks have a very raw 'street' feel to them, in that they're stripped back and focus on a repetitive hook - like in a rap song.

Does anyone have any idea what to call this type of music? I feel Michael was trying to pioneer like he did on Dangerous with New jack swing. In fact, Invincible for the most part feels very influenced by Dangerous in regards to it's track order etc.

Any replies would be helpful :)

What genre were the up-tempos on Invincible?

Crappy N Sync teenpop.

I'm not an Invincible hater, but the up-tempos on that album (particularly the opening trio and Privacy) were a huge let down.

I know what you mean.. Heartbreaker was a gem tho.. Invincibles strong points were the ballads..

What genre were the up-tempos on Invincible?

Crappy N Sync teenpop.

I'm not an Invincible hater, but the up-tempos on that album (particularly the opening trio and Privacy) were a huge let down.

Well, thats just your opinion. I personally love Unbreakable, Heartbreaker and Privacy and the rest of the album. The only songs that I think shouldn't be on the album are Invincible and Whatever Happens, but I still like them.

Well, thats just your opinion. I personally love Unbreakable, Heartbreaker and Privacy and the rest of the album. The only songs that I think shouldn't be on the album are Invincible and Whatever Happens, but I still like them.

Really, Whatever Happens?. Imo privacy should not be on the album or Threatend. Or actully Threateend is quite good its just the intro and the interludes i cannot stand in the song.

I know what you mean.. Heartbreaker was a gem tho.. Invincibles strong points were the ballads..

I don't agree. Unbreakable, Invincible, You Rock My World & Threatened are my favourites. I think that there are too many ballads. You Are My Life, Don't Walk Away, Cry & The Lost Children are the weakest songs on the album for me. So everybody have their own opinion.

I don't agree. Unbreakable, Invincible, You Rock My World & Threatened are my favourites. I think that there are too many ballads. You Are My Life, Don't Walk Away, Cry & The Lost Children are the weakest songs on the album for me. So everybody have their own opinion.

You Are My Life is one of my favourite songs. I think it's one of the strongest of the album. Opinions are so different sometimes..

2000 Watts, Privacy, Don't Walk Away, The Lost Children and Cry are the weakest for me. If the album was shorter, just these 11 songs, it would be way much better.

Personally, i believe the best songs on invincible are: Unbreakable,You Rock My World, Privacy, Don't Walk Away, Speechless, The Lost Children, and Threatened.

2000 Watts, Privacy, Don't Walk Away, The Lost Children and Cry are the weakest for me. If the album was shorter, just these 11 songs, it would be way much better.

If I remember correctly, Michael mentioned The Lost Children as one of his favourite songs from Invincible, as well as Speechless and Unbreakable.

Crappy N Sync teenpop.
I was kind of thinking this... However, I think it's Michael's take on the pop scene of the new millennium and the past few years...(98-2000) but it's so much more timeless and miles better than N*Sync and Britney Spears and the other "teenpop" coming out at the time. Michael is the KING, so every song to me is a gem. Every song has lovely melodies that I can get in to.

Excellent
Speechless
The Lost Children

Good
You Rock My World
Heaven Can Wait
You Are My Life
Threatened
Whatever Happens
Unbreakable

Okay
Break of Dawn
Heartbreaker
Invincible
Butterflies
2000 Watts

Poor
Privacy
Don't Walk Away
Cry

I think Break of Dawn, Heartbreaker and Invincible belong on "Good"! :)

Excellent
Speechless
The Lost Children

Good
You Rock My World
Heaven Can Wait
You Are My Life
Threatened
Whatever Happens
Unbreakable

Okay
Break of Dawn
Heartbreaker
Invincible
Butterflies
2000 Watts

Poor
Privacy
Don't Walk Away
Cry

I pretty much disagree with the whole list:)

Excellent:
Unbreakable
You Rock My World
Butterflies
Speechless

Good:
Invincible
Break of Dawn
Heaven Can Wait
Whatever Happens
Threatened

Okay:
Heartbreaker
2000 Watts
The Lost Children

Poor:
You Are My Life
Privacy
Don't Walk Away
Cry

Excellent:
Butterflies
The Lost Children
Don't Walk Away
Break Of Dawn

Good:
You Rock My World
Break Of Dawn
You Are My Life
Privacy
Unbreakable
Speechless

Okay:
2000 Watts
Threatened
Heartbreaker

Poor:
Cry
Invincible
Whatever Happens

The middle 8 to both Heartbreaker and Invincible is incredible. I wish that the album would have sounded more like that.

YAML was for his Children. I love the song purely for that!!

Great:
Unbreakable
Heartbreaker
Invincible
You Rock My World
Speechless
The Lost Children
Threatened

Good:
2,000 Watts
Whatever Happens
Don't Walk Away
Heaven Can Wait

OK:
Break Of Dawn

Poor:
You Are My Life
Butterlies
Privacy
Cry

Good:
Unbreakable
Heartbreaker
Lost Children
You Are My Life
Buttterflies
Privacy
Cry
Whatever Happens
Rock My World
Threatened

One's I can't listen to:
Heaven can Wait. It hurts for me :(

The most frustraing thing for me is that We've Had Enough never made it on the album. We've Had Enough (IMO) is much much better than all of the songs that did make it on the album.

The most frustraing thing for me is that We've Had Enough never made it on the album. We've Had Enough (IMO) is much much better than all of the songs that did make it on the album.

I agree with you. I think that We've had enough would be the best song from Invincible. And also if Hollywood Tonight was completed by MJ.

I think they are "Industrial Pop", for those still wondering.

I agree with you. I think that We've had enough would be the best song from Invincible. And also if Hollywood Tonight was completed by MJ.

The inclusion of We've Had Enough and Hollywood Tonight would've completely transformed the whole album.

This is my dream Invincible tracklist:

1. Unbreakable
2. Invincible
3. Heaven Can Wait
4. Heartbreaker
5. You Rock My World
6. Speechless
7. Hollywood Tonight
8. Escape
9. You Are My Life
10. Whatever Happens
11. We've Had Enough
12. The Lost Children
13. Threatened

^^ Now that's a solid album - much better than what we got. Use Shout and 2000 Watts as b-sides and lock Privacy, Cry and Don't Walk Away securely in a vault or burn the mastertapes.

Last edited:
Back