Postcard from the Rose Bowl: King of Pop MJ Items @ Grammy Museum

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
Postcard from the Rose Bowl: The King of Pop and Da Bulls vs. Lob City come into focus | OregonLive.com

LOS ANGELES - One of the perks of covering a team on the road is visiting new cities and their attractions.

Over the years I've been able to tour the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Ohio, 2007, covering Seattle Seahawks), and on a more sobering note, the site of the Oklahoma City bombing (Oklahoma, 2004, covering Oregon).

In Los Angeles this week to cover Monday's Rose Bowl game between Oregon and Wisconsin, I again contemplated places to visit. Much to my joy I discovered that the Chicago Bulls, my hometown team, play at the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday night at the Staples Center.

Watching Derrick Rose and the Bulls face Blake Griffin, Chris Paul and the newly tabbed Lob City Clippers figured to be the highlight of my week.

Then...it happened.

While visiting the media hospitality area I received complimentary tickets to the Grammy Museum where I knew existed a display of Michael Jackson stuff!

So, I dragged online sport editor Joel Odom on the one-mile trek to the museum in the L.A. Live District. Along the way, I concocted a plan to swipe something once worn by the late King of Pop.

thrilleralbumjpg-2df5eb94ef5c5d4e.jpg

Michael Jackson's Thriller, 1982

But, Odom, being the responsibly person that he is, refused to stand guard while I attempted to cut through the thick glass to get to the original white Hugo Boss suit (certainly worth untold billions) M.J. wore on the cover the 1982 album Thriller, the greatest, and best selling album of all-time (100 million).

In other words, he wimped out.

Probably for the best. It would have been quite embarrassing writing a postcard from the slammer. But at least I got to stand within inches of

Tune in Sunday when I recap my quest to buy a ticket to the sold out Clippers-Bulls game from a street salesman. Should be interesting.

That display is simply amazing, and very emotional. It's really hard to leave.

And, a funny and nice article, wow, almost as precious as the Hugo Boss suit... Thanks MsCassieMollie.

^Yes it is, I always get a lump in my throat when I see his clothes on display...

^Yup, wish I get see them up close and personal one day.

They always look amazingly tiny, dont you think?

Ha Yes the White suite is very small when you see it close up. It is amazing how slender Michal's body type is. I took lots of pictures of his clothes there, but I do not know how to post them.

Another thing that amazes me is that some of the gold casts he wore on his legs for the History tour are on display and they are extremely heavy. Yet, Michael was able to dance with them on. He was really an amazing entertainer.

I encourage you to go to the Autry Museum in LA, where are exposed more clothes from the Bush/Tompkins collection. It's not much but it's quite impressive to see the famous red shirt, metal boots and belt he wore.

100_0715.jpg

100_0713.jpg

100_0705.jpg

100_0706.jpg

100_0704.jpg

Those boots are huge, and look extremely heavy.

Ben thanks for that information. Next time I go to LA I must take a look. It seems Michael has clothes all over the place. There was a great collection at the Immortal Fanconvention as well. Michael certainly had a lot of belongings.

Thanks Ash. His moves above^^remind me so much of the video You Rock My World.

Back