An Interview with THIS IS IT Associate Choreographer Stacy Walker

THRILL ATHENS

Proud Member
Hi guys. after the first tv broadcast of THIS IS IT in Greece, our community team decided to aproach Stacy Walker of THIS IS IT for an email interview. Here's what she told us :) A lot more interesting and "juicy" questions were not answered but we thank Stacy for her time :)

pls find our interview here http://www.facebook.com/notes/mj-da...-choreographer-stacy-walker/10150461704870841

---

Exclusive interview with THIS IS IT Associate Choreographer Stacy Walker. Questions were submitted by fans and members of our community during Jan 2 - Jan 7. Credit: Thrill Athens (MJ DANCE TRIBUTE Athens)

-Stacy first of all thank you for the opportunity, means a lot to us Greek fans! You had the chance of being part of Michael’s vision and imagination in the formation of a series of concerts that could have been his career highlight, in what we know as "a Michael Jackson concert experience". How did you get involved in this and what was your role in the THIS IS IT project, starting from the auditions to the final result we would eventually see?

My role was ASSOCIATE CHOREOGRAPHER. Travis Payne and Kenny Ortega asked for me to be involved in the project.

-Have you ever worked with Michael before?

I was a dancer in GHOSTS & HIStory Tour (1997).

-Where did you study dance? What did Michael like about your choreography style?

I mainly studied dance in Atlanta with THE ATLANTA JAZZ THEATRE.

-What were your dance idols when you were little? How were you influenced by Michael?

I (like MJ) love Bob Fosse! He was very inspiring & creative. Michael, of course has always been a great inspiration to me. He is truly 1 of a kind & so groundbreaking. He was always original! I am forever grateful to have had the opportunity to work with him.

-Tell us a few things about Michael and how did you first meet him?

Michael was very sweet and kind. Always appreciative of everybody's talent and hard work. He was fun & silly. He loved jokes. He was very focused, involved and hard working. Always loving and kind. I first met him in rehearsals in LA for GHOSTS.

-Did Michael ever talk about classical dancing. What type of dance influences you see in his style?

He loved leaps! :) Isn't that funny!?!?

-How was it working for Michael Jackson compared to your previous experiences as a choreographer?

Wonderful. It's amazing to work with Michael because you were always surrounded by the best of the best, in every field... Very inspiring. You always wanted to give him your best!

-We know you had a close collaboration with Travis Payne. How did you two work together and how did you both work with Michael?

Travis & I have known each other since we were teenagers. We work very well together & have a natural balance. Whenever we needed to split up , I would work with dancers while he worked with Michael..

-Do you remember any funny moments with Michael during rehearsals? Could you describe some?

Michael was so sweet. In "BEAT IT" (live in concert) he would look into the camera and punch. After, he would always apologize to the camera operator! haha!

-Did he ever make any mistakes and how did he react to that? :) How was his typical warm up?

After ANYONE made a mistake he would always say: "that's what rehearsal's for!" :)

-How many times did you dance with him onstage and did you ever…correct him? Did he ever give you any advice you will never forget?

I danced with him many times. (GHOSTS and HIStory Tour). I learned a lot from him, especially that sometimes "less is more", it's important to "sizzle"...

-Was Michael “open’ to new moves/routines by others, apart from you and Travis?

Sure!

-Stacy how much of THIS IS IT we haven’t seen or could possibly..imagine? Is there enough material for a second film?

I (personally) do not think there is enough for a 2nd film. (we were never shooting a film so it's amazing they had enough footage for THIS IS IT...)

-What was his behavior towards the dancers of the show. Was he instructing them, giving advice? Did he have a “favorite” dancer?

He loved the dancers! I don't know if he had a specific favorite. He loved that THEY loved to dance, especially to his music..

-Which was the daily routine for the THIS IS IT dancers? What was the technique they were taught? Do you consider this the best team you ever worked with?

I do think this was 1 of the best groups of dancers I ever worked with. We all became really close & are now bonded for life.

-What was your favorite choreography from the show? What did you personally propose concerning new moves or choreography changes?

My favorite part of choreographing is staging. I LOVED Jam, Smooth and Dangerous!!!

-Did you participate in the “final audition” for the selection of THIS IS IT dancers and how did you manage to make this selection?

I was involved in the entire audition process. We had to talk about decisions as we did not all agree...

-What is the best and most memorable “moment” for you during this experience? What did you learn from all this?

I loved EVERY minute of this job. I never wanted to go home! I learned that I am not in charge of this life. I can only do my best & enjoy the journey. The final outcome is up to a bigger power. This was a very freeing realization.

-Where there any Greek dancers at the auditions? Have you ever danced a ... Greek dance? What do you like or know about our country? We would love to see you here soon!

I'm sure we must have had some Greek dancers audition, but I don't know for sure. I have been to Greec and loved it! Especially the food! :) Hope to visit again one day!

-Did you see any of our videos and what did you think of them?

So great! Wonderful! Fun! Congrats! :)

-Thank you once more for this chance to talk to you about your THIS IS IT experience!

Thrill Athens...seriously can not thank you enough for posting this. This started out as a crappy work morning, and you've brightened it.

-Do you remember any funny moments with Michael during rehearsals? Could you describe some?

Michael was so sweet. In "BEAT IT" (live in concert) he would look into the camera and punch. After, he would always apologize to the camera operator! haha!

Michael was the best at everything, but this is the type of thing that makes me love him the most. I mean, seriously, who does that. LOL! The man was a straight up angel, in my opinion.

Thank you for posting!

Beautiful interview. Thank you to the original poster.

Michael was the best at everything, but this is the type of thing that makes me love him the most. I mean, seriously, who does that. LOL! The man was a straight up angel, in my opinion.

Thank you for posting!

An Angel walking the planet. Love him so much.

:wild:Great interview. So sad that there would not be enough footage for a second TII film though. I want more!!!

That made my day = Thanks you for sharing such a great interview

I had to smile over MJ punching at the camera and then aplogising to the camera man _ So sweet and funny :)

Loved this. Michael's fave classical dance move? Leaps. Maybe the penguin dance was the final outcome :p

thank you for posting this interview..it is so beautiful. Michael ..such a beautiful person..

Is this the woman who said she did not have anything to grab when the guys were pulling up their crotch?

THRILL ATHENS;3576543 said:
-Did he ever make any mistakes and how did he react to that? :) How was his typical warm up?

After ANYONE made a mistake he would always say: "that's what rehearsal's for!" :)

-How many times did you dance with him onstage and did you ever…correct him? Did he ever give you any advice you will never forget?

I danced with him many times. (GHOSTS and HIStory Tour). I learned a lot from him, especially that sometimes "less is more", it's important to "sizzle"...

I re-read several times because it makes me so well ...
Oh Mike ... :sigh:

Me, too - about 2 years late. Loved the interview, thanks!:)

Back