Gospel music legend Andrae Crouch talks about Michael :)

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
http://www.essence.com/2011/09/30/andrae-crouch-new-album-the-journey-5-questions
andrae-crouch-240x340.jpg

In music today the word “legend” is too frequently thrown around and overused. It’s so frequently used, one might forget what a true legend really looks like.

Try this: 18 solo albums, eight Grammy Awards, a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, an Oscar nomination and collaborations with Diana Ross and Elton John to Madonna and Michael Jackson.

Andrae Crouch is the definition of a true legend!

ESSENCE.COM sat down with Crouch to discuss his critically acclaimed new project, “The Journey,” and how after all these years he continues to make timeless music without so much as breaking a sweat.

ESSENCE.COM: You worked with Michael Jackson several times. What do you remember most about him?
CROUCH: Michael was a kind, gentle, soft-spoken, loving and giving person. Michael truly loved performing and sharing his gift with the world. But he was really shy also, especially with new people. Sometimes we would go to the studio and Quincy Jones would be behind the boards and I would ask, “Where is Michael?” He would be hiding in the studio because he knew the choir was coming in. I would always tease Michael about that, but that’s just who he was. He was a wonderful person.

More info on Andrae, for those who are not familiar with him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andra%C3%A9_Crouch
Andraé and his sister, Sandra considered Michael Jackson as a dear friend for many years, whom they loved and greatly respected. In 1987, the Andraé Crouch Choir sang background vocals along with Siedah Garrett, Glen Ballard, and The Winans on Jackson's hit single, "Man in the Mirror" from the Bad album. The Andraé Crouch Singers were also featured on the songs, "Keep the Faith" and "Will You Be There" from Jackson's 1991 Dangerous album. Andraé and Sandra also did the choir arrangement for those songs. On Jackson's HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I project in 1995, the Andraé Crouch Choir chants climacticly in a dramatic interaction with Jackson on "Earth Song." Crouch's composition, "Soon and Very Soon" was performed at the public memorial service for Jackson at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
http://blog.beliefnet.com/gospelsoundcheck/2009/07/andrae-crouch-and-sister-sandr.html
“It has been brought to our attention that several media outlets have been erroneously reporting that we met our dear friend Michael Jackson several weeks prior to his death so he could accept Christ. This is incorrect and absolutely not true.

“We loved and respected Michael enormously and we’ve been friends with him for many, many years, and are deeply saddened by his sudden and tragic death. We recently met with Michael to discuss recording two songs with our choir for his newest recording project.

“Michael always had a respect and curiosity for spiritual things. During our meeting, not unlike many other creative/music meetings we’ve had with him in the past, we sang together, prayed together and had a wonderful time.

“We are praying for Michael’s family and desire nothing less than God’s best for them.”
Also in MJ's "Man in the Mirror" 1988 Grammy performance, when Michael was on the floor being really emotional about the song message and couldn't finish the song, Andrae was the guy who helped Michael up. His choir sings in the performance, too.
[video=youtube;ex6gQlUfvxw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6gQlUfvxw[/video]

16866_285229891635_52529391635_3923648_565646_n.jp  g

I love this choir, their voices in Michael's songs always give me goose bump :heart:

It just makes me happy and gives me some kind of werid peace that MJ saw him and his sister just weekes before he passed away. That he sang and prayed with them, that he got that do that so close to his death is just more than a coincidece if you ask me.

Such an emotional and inspiring performance by the King....Michael Jackson.
I agree that it is comforting to know that the Crouch family was there for MJ in more ways than one.

The Andrae Crouch Singers also had a hand in "Speechless".

Thank you for posting.

Last edited:
Thankyou so much for posting!

Micahel's one of the most genuinely spiritual people to walk this earth. The way he lived his life, faced his detractors and kept being true to himself is a testament to his faith in the Higher Power that he was blessed to realize within his own Self.

Man in the Mirror is my most favourite song and I tear up EVERYTIME I hear it! I listen to it for inspiration-Michael does not just sing it, he feels it, he believes it and he lives it ...every word is gospel and because he is my most glorious teacher who has taught me to be good, do good and make this world a better place, I listen to this message of hope, strength, upliftment whenever I need to find the strength and courage to keep being strong, to keep believing in myself and to keep fighting the lies, untruth and darkness of this world with my own inner Light, L.O.V.E and goodness...

Thankyou Michael for continuing to be the Angel that guides us to the Light...We miss your physical presence more than words can say, but your spirit is everywhere and we can feel it...
We love you for all time...

Oh, and that picture of him is just so beautiful...he looks so ethereal, so pure and precious...love you Mike...

thanks for posting i always wondered what andrea crouches memories of michael were

I wonder what the two songs were that Michael wanted the choir to record for him.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but I just saw this; "...at the rehearsal before he passed, [Michael Jackson] stood right there in the middle of us all and talked about the [TII] tour and how the stage was going to be built and what it would look like. But in the same breath he said, “I don’t wanna go on this tour, I just don’t feel right about it”. That’s what he said. He kinda knew that something was going on but he didn’t know what." -Andrae Crouch"

Can't really let go of that. I'm glad he got to spend time with Pastor Crouch but what the freak was going on....?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NflCoYmoStM&feature=youtu.be
Link to the song that michael asked the crouch siblings to shing for/with him just days before he passed away.

Last edited:
Andrae Crouch seems like a really nice guy and his choir is just amazing. Thanks for posting!

Gospel music legend & good friend of Mike's for more than 20 years, Andrae Crouch talked to a Christian magazine recently.

http://rootmagazineonline.com/featured-content/1970/

Andrae-Crouch.jpg

Root: You were very close with the “King of Pop”, Michael Jackson. Is it true that a few weeks before he died, he met with you and accepted Jesus or was that a rumor?

Andrae Crouch: Put it like this, we were getting ready to do another three songs with him at his house. On that day we talked and caught up on what was going n with him and vice versa and what was funny was he had this little cheap CD player with and he played music that he wanted me to arrange vocals for but he didn’t have any words and that was the first time that we worked with him and he didn’t have any lyrics. He started putting some words together and then I would write the next line and we did that back and forth. I then told him I could have the group back there to rehearse the songs separately because usually I was a little stand offish when we had the singers there because he would be talking to us from the booth, writing lyrics and all of that. At this point he didn’t know what the song would be but we kept writing back and forth. Michael then said to me “You wanna know why I love you and Sandra so much?’ and I said Why? He said, “Because I trust you guys and I love you”. He then wanted to set up a time where we can bring the singers to learn the song but he couldn’t get the words together so he brought his kids to the room where we were and he told them “This is the guy that arranged the songs that you guys like” and he told the children, “I love them”. He went on to say how much he loved us because he never heard anything about us saying negative stuff about him. What was really interesting was as we were talking he said, “Andrae, there are some things I wanted to ask you” and he said “When I see you on TV and you are singing and your hands are up in the air, is that called the anointing?” I said where did you hear that word? He said he didn’t know but when he sees it, it seems like when you do that, the power falls down, he said it’s very powerful. I was wondering where he learned that because I knew he had never been to a Pentecostal church. We talked for many hours and my sister Sandra said, “Michael, we feel like you are our son” and he said that he felt the same way so Sandra asked if we could pray for him and he said yes. We all got in a circle and began praying and he squeezed my hand so tight that it was hurting. We began praying and we said, “Lord, we want you to change Michael’s life and he prayed everything that we said. I know that he accepted the Lord.

Root: How long was this before he passed away.

Andrae Crouch: It was one week. God is so merciful. He had no problems with us praying with him and he had both of his hands up. There is no doubt in my mind that he did accept the Lord. We had the choir there and he would normally be isolated from everyone but this particular time he stood right in the middle of us all.

Root: Isn’t it amazing how God used you to reach someone like Michael Jackson?

Andrae Crouch: Yes it is. In fact I used to hear that most of the people who worked with him were Muslims but at the funeral he had a Pentecostal guy conduct the funeral. I actually set next to Quincy Jones and Gladys Knight. It still amazes me because at the rehearsal before he passed, he stood right there in the middle of us all and talked about the tour and how the stage was going to be built and what it would look like. But in the same breath he said, “I don’t wanna go on this tour, I just don’t feel right about it”. That’s what he said. He kinda knew that something was going on but he didn’t know what. I know he is with the Lord because he was so ready. When we did the song “Man in the mirror”, we would do a warm up song called “It won’t be long” and every time we got together he told me that he always would sing that song to himself and he asked if we could sing that song for him and I said “Sure”. He loved that song and he was so gentle and I praise God for the work that he did in his life before he went to be with the Lord.

Back