Today in history: Michael Jackson's hair catches fire

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
I was only 6 years old when Michael Jackson filmed that disastrous Pepsi commercial in 1984, but I clearly remember hearing about it.
After all, in 1984, everybody was a Michael Jackson fan.
The story goes like this: On Jan. 27 of that year, Jackson was at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, filming the Pepsi spot in front of fans. A pyrotechnic malfunction ignited the singer's hair, and handlers rushed to his aid. (Read the New York Times' original report.)
Jackson suffered second-degree burns to his scalp. He donated the settlement he received from Pepsi to the hospital that treated him, which established a Michael Jackson Burn Center. (Sadly, the center closed a few years later.)
Footage exists of the incident, and it's pretty horrifying to watch. Even though Jackson's injuries were serious, it's amazing he wasn't hurt more severely.

Though the year began with a tragedy, it also marked the debut of Jackson's most popular Pepsi ad (co-starring Alfonso Ribeiro). This "new generation" spot has been seen more than 40 million times on YouTube.

UStoday

The day that changed a lot of things for MJ. I have always wondered how things would've been if this would've never happened...

I still remember this day like it was yesterday... Some things are branded into your mind hey...
Indeed, it changed Michael's life but NOT for the better though :(

Back