Movies that are better than the books they are based on

analogue

Proud Member
Most of the time the book is usually better than the movie but once in awhile the movie can be better than the book. Are there any movies out there that you think are better than the books they are based on?

I think that the movie Jaws was better than the book

Only 4 movies come to my mind. Anne Of Green Gables, Gone With The Wind, Wurthering Heights (Only the 1939 version), and Devdas. Especially the movie Devdas. I haven't read the book Devdas. But I can't imagine that book being anywhere near as good as the movie version. Especially since the songs in that movie are just so perfect for the story.

From movies I've watched, I don't think I could say any of them were better. MAYBE equal, but never better than original book.

I can only state about one movie that it was better than the book (the rest of the movies made after books are just a disappointment, especially after you've read the books and you've made an image in your head of what they should look like) and that is Dolores Claiborne.

Never happened in my experience, but I mostly read the classics when I read fiction.
I think a movie can capture the essence and portray what you expected or what you imagined but rarely the movie would be "better" than the book, IMO.

Although I adore the book with all my heart, I'd say To Kill A Mockingbird movie. I just love the essence it captures.

No film in my experience has ever done it. Saw The Hunger Games last month and the book is sooooooooooo much better, even thought I quite liked the film.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park was another movie i thought was better than the book

Back