Does your fandom make you feel like an outcast between others where you live?

Rudolf

Proud Member
So how is your fanship. Are you between people that think about Michael Jackson alike or otherwise?

I don't know personally anybody else who listens Michael's music. I haven't spoke to another Michael fan ever. Nobody who I know hates Michael as far as I know but they just don't talk about him. Maybe I am outcast but I don't feel like it :)

Many family members are fans too, not like I am but are fans :D especially my Mum :heart:

I don't have many friends MJ fans which I know personally but my other friends don't mind I'm a fan but my family thinks I'm mentally disturbed by him, specially my mother. If being a hardcore MJ fan makes me crazy, I'm proud of it and I don't care what my mother thinks... :pth:

I am the only MJ fan in my family. Everyone else in my family is all MJ haters. And I practically don't have any friends at all where I live. And I totally blame the American media for that. All because of how he was treated in my country by them. Which cause people to believe all of the lies about him. Especially that horrible evil lie about him being a child molester. Even though he was found not guilty. The second time that he was accused. There are still people in my country where they still think he is a child molester. Like my brother who had called him a child molesting freak quite a few times. He doesn't say that anymore. But I know he still thinks that. I even remember one Easter Sunday years ago getting in to a huge fight with him about that. My mother did try to get us to stop. But I turn to her and very coldly told her to shut the hell up. Because you are no better than he is. The look that I gave her had told her to stay out of it. Me and my brother went back to our fighting that he started. Which ended by me angrily storming off. I had to before I did something that I might regret later on. Some of you guys are so very lucky to have other family members and or friends with other MJ fans where you live. I so totally wish I had that luck.:(

I don't know any diehard fans in real life. Some of my family have said nasty things about MJ, but they've been more nice about it now since learning I'm a fan. They probably know if they say something, they will get a scowl from me lol. My mom's the only other fan I know, but she's mostly a casual fan. However, I think she's been loving Michael a bit more than usual. I think I rub off on her a bit :p She's also always telling me when she hears a MJ song on the radio, and she'll start dancing to the music when I'm listening to it. :) I don't think she'll ever get to my level though. I guess my neighbor's sort of a fan too, but just casually again.

I usually don't even let people know I'm a MJ fan, but if I ever encounter someone one day who's talking about how great Michael is, then I'll definitely be paying attention. :)

I believe that one is an outcast only when one lets others treat him/her accordingly. In my case - my family, friends and acquaintances all know I'm a big fan. My friends, who, most of them, are by no means fans, all undestood me and grieved with me when Michael passed (before that, they used to call me whenever there was a show on tv about MJ and stuff like that). I would even mention to people I have just met that I'm a fan, if the conversation leads to music... That's nothing to be ashamed of! On the contrary, that's something to be proud of - Michael has been a part of my life for so long, it would be a pitty to deny that.

Very rare in my case, I was never treated like an outcast when I was a fan of Michael, but I wastreated like an outcast because I believe in fantasy and my fandom to anime. That's why I hate them for treating me like I'm a ghost.

Not really!! Sometimes of course, when you meet new peeps and you tell them you're a MJ-Fan, they usually react in a way like, He has good music, but on the personal stuff we mostly don't see eye to eye on that!!
I don't really let it get to me anymore!! I used to though, quite some time ago, when people talked Bad about Him, I tried to defend Him and then they started to mock Him and me even more, so I stopped doing that!! Now I just tell them I'm a Fan, and if they say Bad things, I just shrug, and tell them they're wrong, nothing more... Their loss the way they may think, not mine!!
My family used to help me collect all sorts of MJ-stuff, but I kinda grew up, and they stopped all that, but they're OK with me being a Fan, and I'm OK with the fact they only like Him as an Artist, so I don't feel like an outcast, not anymore!!
I've also noticed that after He died, I got a lot more positive talks with non-fans than I had before!! I guess "speak no ill of the dead" still means something to some people!! Not all though, but still... ;)

Oh yeah, about having MJ-Fans as friends, besides meeting Daz way too few times a year, I don't meet any MJ-Fans anymore!! We used to come together lots more, but I guess times & lives change, people get very busy and of course there's something called: The Internet!! :yes:
Thanks to Sites like this one, and facebook and others I can still chat and share Michael thoughts with many more Michael Fans than I can do in the "real world" and that gives me a very good feeling... So Thanks to the Entire MJ-Family for keeping Michael Alive in my Life!!!!! :heart: :D

Last edited:
Well, I do feel different... always have... but never considered myself an 'outcast' cause I never really had a lot of 'friends'... I grew up in my Michael room and everyone around me knows I'm a Michael's child... They always 'accepted' it that Michael is 'a part of me'...

Nowadays... When I meet up with NON fans at work or a course... I do feel I don't belong to their world... to their 'destructive' and 'narrow-minded' mentality and I'm exactly PROUD to be a Michael's child...

Indeed, I used to go out more and have fun with fans but since 2009 :( There is too much pain in memories and I fell out with a lot 'fan friends' cause of the opinions that they 'harbour' now :no:

Then again, I still have Sunnie :ciao: who indeed visits too less :blush: and you guys, my MJJC family... This is my HOME :love:

My family are ok with him. My parents played his music which is how I first heard him back in the 80's and it was my mum who took me to see him during the HIStory Tour. But outside of family I belong to 3 fandoms. My football friends are polarised. Some like him and the rest hate him and call him a molester or a P-word and jokes of that nature. My Red Dwarf friends respect my liking of him and don't really say much around me.

It's certainly a mixed bag thats for sure!

i'm glad you put up this thread, because this explains a lot in our society. Michael's unique in that he has the biggest fanbase in history, but it's spread out so that there are a lot of instances where fans are surrounded by haters. It's easy for there to be many cases of isolation for MJ fans, even though he has the biggest fanbase. What a dichotomy! Yes, I feel isolated. I'm glad there's internet, or I wouldn't realize how much of a vaccuum there is in which I live. Thanks to the internet, I realize just how big this world is, and how deceptive it is, at the same time. My family loves MJ, but I live away from them, right now. There were people in the building where I live who talked about him, but only in the sense that he sparks interest and people want to look like they follow media, but the music is so magic, they'll watch the Michael event, but at other times, they'll talk like haters. It's a strange brew. Michael's the kind of artist that brings out the 'courage to be yourself' in you, if you are a true fan, and it really seperates the people with a strong sense of self from the cowards that are trying just to fit into society. MJ fans are the former. But usually this only occurs with a cult artist with not a large following. Michael is the first that this occurs with, that has the largest following in the world.

I find it hard to meet someone who knows anything past the hits. Meeting someone and finding out if they like MJ can only go two ways, either they like him or they don't. I was kind of interested in a girl recently and she didn't mind too much listening to MJ (although she always asks to hear Will You Be There) but she killed it by saying INXS is better. My mother doesn't mind him but doesn't bother going past the hits and doesn't like to hear him too much and thinks that most concerts are the same.

Luckily I have two Aussie fangirls on twitter than I can run to if something MJ related happens, unfortunately they are in another state.

I guess it's different for me. I was just married when the J5 started up and I was a fan from the beginning. My husband is always supportive and my two (now grown) sons are fans anyway. (Maybe that was the influence of Michael's music even when they were in my womb. lol) There is nothing else anyone can say to me now that I have never heard before so that really doesn't worry me. Many who try to be rude are given short shrift from me - I always say 'If you really want to debate about this please be sure you have all of the facts at your fingertips because you will find that you probably got your opinion listening to tabloid TV and reading tabloid trash'. Most times they back down but other times they actually listen to what I have to say and often change their perception of the man. Always and forever a fan.

i'm glad you put up this thread, because this explains a lot in our society. Michael's unique in that he has the biggest fanbase in history, but it's spread out so that there are a lot of instances where fans are surrounded by haters. It's easy for there to be many cases of isolation for MJ fans, even though he has the biggest fanbase. What a dichotomy! Yes, I feel isolated. I'm glad there's internet, or I wouldn't realize how much of a vaccuum there is in which I live. Thanks to the internet, I realize just how big this world is, and how deceptive it is, at the same time. My family loves MJ, but I live away from them, right now. There were people in the building where I live who talked about him, but only in the sense that he sparks interest and people want to look like they follow media, but the music is so magic, they'll watch the Michael event, but at other times, they'll talk like haters. It's a strange brew.

Michael's the kind of artist that brings out the 'courage to be yourself' in you, if you are a true fan, and it really seperates the people with a strong sense of self from the cowards that are trying just to fit into society. MJ fans are the former. But usually this only occurs with a cult artist with not a large following. Michael is the first that this occurs with, that has the largest following in the world.

:agree:with the BOLD stuff cause this is the thing that bothers me the MOST when I meet NEW people... Either they 'hate' on him and IF they show 'support' for Michael... It's only the 'media' or 'STAR' support and they are 'oblivious' that behind the STAR, there is a HUMAN with feelings and a LIFE beyond his 'STARDOM' :smilerolleyes:

The second BOLD lines 'depicts' how I FEEL too... I'm PROUD to be a MJ fan in that sense that Michael gives you the courage to STAND UP for yourself and NOT let you be 'conditioned' into that 'sheep' thinking where a lot of peeps 'drown' themselves in :cheeky:

So, PERFECTLY said :clapping:

Unfortunately, none of my friends like MJ, and if I even bring up his name, I get the "eye roll." However, these same people recently told me how excited they are to soon be attending a Jon Bon Jovi concert. I should have given them the "eye roll", but I didn't. I don't know what to say when they are disrespectful of MJ and say he was weird and strange, so I don't bring up his name. I can't win in this situation. It's sad that they are so closed minded about MJ.

I don't care If someone of my entourage doesn't like Michael. The only thing that I want is they respect him. Nothing else...they all know that I'm Michael's fan..If they want to be friends of mine knowing this, it's ok...If they don't want, then the problem is theirs. They know that I don't tolerate they tell bad things for him especially when they are with me...If they do this, I will quarrel with them and I will not speak to them again. I respect their interestings and the same I want for me.

Unfortunately, none of my friends like MJ, and if I even bring up his name, I get the "eye roll." However, these same people recently told me how excited they are to soon be attending a Jon Bon Jovi concert. I should have given them the "eye roll", but I didn't. I don't know what to say when they are disrespectful of MJ and say he was weird and strange, so I don't bring up his name. I can't win in this situation. It's sad that they are so closed minded about MJ.
You should explain them that something like this is annoying for you. Don't let them talk for him...Personally If someone of them wants to tell me something about Michael I say: ''No..I don't want to talk about Michael now''. Because I know that they will tell bad things and in this way I avoid quarrels and I will not be unhappy.

Yes, a lot of times. But i dont'care and I'm not paying attention to them. I continue Michaeling :p
It's their loss after all.

Well, you can't help nor change the 'close minded' stuff people have... Change always needs to come from within though :smilerolleyes:

To my NON MJ fans 'people' I talk too... I don't even mention Michael... They know I'm a fan as they see my MJ pins or even my MJ style clothes cause I know how 'distorted' the view is about Michael outside the 'Michael bubble' :doh:

Then again, I'm PROUD if I do say something and I rather ACT in the 'Michael like' way then to 'convince' them how GOOD Michael is cause I know they don't listen and understand so...
In that way, they get a glimpse of who Michael REALLY is :cheeky:
Hope this helped a bit, Joyce :ciao:

I don't have any friends who are MJ fans really and I do get that look that some of you have mentioned when I bring him up, but it is so hard not to talk about him right, everything that happens makes you think of somehting related to him. Or if his music is on and i start dancing its like 'here she goes again' lol. I havent really experienced any negativity though really. My gf isnt really a fan but she does like his music and sort of puts up with my obsession lol :p

I went to see This Is It with my mother and immediately became a hardcore MJlover after that so my family knows and they enjoy his music enough and think he's strange, but they aren't into that celebrity gossip kind of thing.

I have a close knit group of friends. One has some musical loves to so she understands although she isn't a big MJlover. My other friends respect my love for MJ although they might not understand it (even my friend who has her musical loves).

I don't really express my love for MJ that often in public, but I don't really express myself in public too much in general.

Overall, I don't feel like an outcast because of MJ, but because I can't seem to find people who can click with me and that's a me problem so it has nothing to do with Michael.

I am the only MJ fan in my family, but a lot of my friends like him although none are as obsessed with him as I am.

Back