Interest in Michael Jackson!?

bad25

Proud Member
Michael Jackson is a legend. He is still famous. But the interest for MJ has died down with time. Old fans have moved on and most youngsters aren't interested in him. BAD25 isnt doing so well. what do you think of all these?

don't be so negative...we, the fans that love Michael for many years, over 20 in my case, are still here, loving Michael very, very much, no one forgot him! we still listen to his albums, buy the new materials, see the shows inspired by his art like Cirque de Soleil, expect enthuziasticly the new releases:)

Michael Jackson is a legend. He is still famous. But the interest for MJ has died down with time. Old fans have moved on and most youngsters aren't interested in him. BAD25 isnt doing so well. what do you think of all these?

Last week there were three MJ albums on Billboard 200. This week Thriller is at #52, and #1 on the Catalog Album Chart. It's #4 on Amazon's MP3 albums chart. Mixing with the best selling current albums. Without any annyiversary or anything.

I don't think your assesment that people are not interested in him any more is correct.

On the other hand, it's inevitable that as there wouldn't be news about him there would not be so much to talk about him, so forums and message boards dedicated to him would not be as busy as when he was alive.

When someone loves Michael truly, from the bottom of his heart, he will never leave him. Those who did it, maybe didn't love him enough or he was a ''fashion'' for them.

Thank Respect.. the fact that MJ's album is still charting on Billboard 200 proves to me folks are still interested.. The Cirque concert is doing extremely well. It was the # 4 concert last year for total money made, so what exactly is bad25 talking about? Michael is doing better than some of the current acts that are living

Cirque the Soleil, Thriller live
I think it was quite many who saw Bad25 documentary
Bad25 wasn´t promoted much but I can see he´s number 16 in Swedens musicdvd toplist this week

Actually, he has a point. Most youngsters listen to 2-3 MJ songs here and there, but mostly don't care about MJ... Currently, I know 0 people in real life who talks or cares about MJ or follow news about him, etc. Mostly because he simply isn't here anymore..

I wouldn't say the older fans have "moved on" even though some people just think that's easier.

I am 33 years old and I have been an MJ fan for practically my entire life. Been a true hardcore fan of his since the HIStory Era. And I will never lose any interest in him. My bedroom is still a practical shrine to him. The walls and doors are covered with pictures and posters of him. And that will never change for me. I still collect MJ relating stuff. Though not as much as I used to. Because I have such a huge MJ collection as it is. Been collecting MJ relating stuff on and off since 1990. But the problem with me is I just can't handle watching and listening to him like I used to. Mainly because of my depression over him. And that I am still very much in mourning over him. Since I still tend to wear all black clothes. Always a black MJ t-shirt and black pants. Michael is and always will be one of my 3 major passions. The other 2 is astronomy and Bollywood. Bollywood even way more so now since that has been my Michael replacement. That has been a real life saver for me. Especially since I seriously can not stand today's singers and dancers. They never will be no where near as good as Michael is. And they just tend to make me miss him all the more. Than I already do.:( I had so wanted to turn my 2 nephews in to MJ fans. They are 4 and 6 years old. But thanks to the way I still feel anymore when it comes to him. That is something that is still out of the question for me.:(

I see evidence of Michaels relevance everyday. Personally my interest in him is insatiable.
I dont think he will ever fade because he made just way too big an impact on this planet to ever be forgotten.
I work with kids. We listen to his music and watch his films and they are mesmerized.
Michael is forever. : )

Also i should add if you put "Michael Jackson" as a google alert you will be pleasantly suprised how many times a day his name pops up everywhere.

Pentum;3772477 said:
Actually, he has a point. Most youngsters listen to 2-3 MJ songs here and there, but mostly don't care about MJ... Currently, I know 0 people in real life who talks or cares about MJ or follow news about him, etc. Mostly because he simply isn't here anymore..

I wouldn't say the older fans have "moved on" even though some people just think that's easier.

I know 0 people in real life who talks or cares about Madonna, Beyoncé, Jay-Z, Lady Gaga - you name it. Does that mean they are irrelevant? Obviously only hard core fans will keep talking about stars in real life or follow news about them, but that doesn't mean they are irrelevant. Sales and chart positions show they have their fans. It's also natural that current stars are more talked about, simply because they are here and they keep providing material for news.

But I brought some facts about Michael's current chart positions. IMO that's amazing. As long as people are interested in his music I don't care if they talk about him "in real life" a lot or not.

First of all Michael Jackson is NOT 'an interest' :blink: He's HUMAN not an PRODUCT...

Old fans have moved on and most youngsters aren't interested in him.

Secondly... these are real 'vague' assumptions there you make... If it was true at least... MJJC would cease to exist, would it?

I'm an OLD FAN myself :cheeky: I grew up with Michael ;)

Of course, we have our lives 'outside' the Michael 'bubble' but that doesn't mean we forgotten him or we don't honour and defend him anymore... There still NEW fans born :wub: and Michael is surely NOT 'old hat' in today's world... I heard them talking about Michael on the local radio today and they still play his music :punk:

So, a few that ditch Michael can not 'overshadow' your view that the INTEREST :doh: as you call it has died down...

When people spot, I'm a FAN... They RESPECT us NOW...

So, WHY the negative spin on Michael here? Just my :2cents:

I have a friend her son is 19yrs old she ask him to drive me home, i live about 70 miles from her home. as we started out his name is sam played music from his ipod, so i ask him if he ever listen to MJ music and he said NO. about ten miles into the trip he look at me and said you might like this. for 60 plus miles it was MJ alway to my front door. some young people do listen to Michael's music.

I disagree

Also i should add if you put "Michael Jackson" as a google alert you will be pleasantly suprised how many times a day his name pops up everywhere.

Yes, this. I'm always looking on Youtube to see what new videos about Michael are being uploaded, and all the time I'm seeing people doing covers of his songs, dancing to his music, especially little kids, ect. If you look beyond sales, of course they're not going to be where they were because Michael is no longer here to promote his work. However, his music and legacy will last forever. I don't see interest dying down any time soon.

I don't think that a big company like Pepsi would have invested in a big 'Michael' international promotional campaign if they thought that interest was waning, or that young people were not interested. There are still new books coming out and finding plenty of readers, and still plenty of Michael-related FB pages. There are still plenty of people continuing Michael's legacy through charitable donations (eg Everland, Trees), and 10,400 roses (plus hundreds of other tributes) at Forest Lawn last June does show continuing love from fans around the world.

This is certainly NOT true, i'm a senior in high school, and the school cafeteria plays Michael Jackson music at least one day a week during lunch. I am doing my term paper on Michael, this is because i told my english teacher the first day of class thats what i wanted my topic to be, 3 other students in my english class alone wanted to do theirs on Michael too.
Whenever im reading a Michael Jackson book at school, people will stop me and ask me things about him. A few of my friends from theatre were with me when i bought bad 25, and they insisted that we watch the Wembley show as soon as we got home! This is all high school students! So yes, people are still, and will forever be interested in Michael.

Putting up this thread flies in the face of what you are saying. The number of people on this site also disagrees with what you are saying. This site is alive and well and very big with a lot of fans on it. Also, there was a mass of Youtube MJ videos up a few years ago..now, the copyright holders are taking them down because of the giant viewership numbers, and the big money signs in the eyes of the people pulling them down, seeing as they want to CA$H in. So the interest in MJ, as always, is at an all time high.

I think MJ will forever be popular - and his music will always be popular.

The legendary music videos, live performances, beats, screams, and songs will never be forgotten - nor will the interest for them - so MJ will never be forgotten - he lives in his art and all the great he created!

As long as people play his songs, sing his songs and watch all his work than he is always relevant and here with us. His estate is strong and will be very strong once all their debt is paid. They are already almost there. When Michael died he was talked about in the news and shows on a regular basis but that has died down now. That is expected but it doesn't mean he is not relevant or no one has interest in him.

It's true many post June 2009 "fans" have gone but the real hard core ones who genuinely love him will never ever leave Michael. Like that Frank Sinatra's song says "I've got you under my skin, I've got you deep in the heart of me. So deep in my heart that you're a part of me, I've got you under my skin." :heart:

It's true many post June 2009 "fans" have gone but the real hard core ones who genuinely love him will never ever leave Michael. Like that Frank Sinatra's song says "I've got you under my skin, I've got you deep in the heart of me. So deep in my heart that you're a part of me, I've got you under my skin." :heart:

:girl_sigh: :wub:

MJ was unique and his music timeless! So there will always be those new who will discover him and those who will go back to remember him! So there will ALWAYS be an interest in him some way, no matter what! Maybe it won't be like when he was alive in a grand scale but, so what!? A lil much to desire I'd say if the person is no longer here, don't you think?! But, the most important thing is that his legend is sealed forever from the great work he left us! So MJ definitely got his immortality, just like he wanted! So be HAPPY!

You know where I'm coming from. Thank you!

No one I know is interested in Michael Jackson. There is 0 MJ presence in my real life, except for his hit songs at times being on 'oldies' local radio.
Are younger people interested? Hard to say. Probably some with good music taste are. Unfortunately don't know anyone. They're all crazed over dubstep, rap and Rihanna's Shine Like A Diamond.

I agree with the other posters here, I don’t see much evidence of interest in Michael fading like the OP says.

Well, obviously the interest in him isn’t as high now as it was in 2009, but that’s only natural because in 2009 interest in him was exceptionally high. No one can stay the most popular, hottest, most talked about star year after year. But people still talk about him often, way more often than you would expect considering he’s no longer here. His albums are consistent catalog sellers, so people still by his music. People also watch his Youtube videos. Check for example Billboard’s Social 50 chart – it ranks the most popular artists on social media based on things like Youtube views, Facebook likes, new Twitter followers etc. Michael is #19 this week, and he’s been in the top 50 almost every week, unlike for example Elvis, the Beatles, Prince or Madonna. Most of the artists on that chart are young artists who release new music, and it’s pretty amazing imo that Michael continues to chart week after week.

And as for old fans moving on, I don’t think that’s really happening. A lot of the older fans have been fans for years, many have loved and supported Michael during his most difficult times. I don’t think you just move on from somebody you have cared about for such a long time. Fans may become less active of course, since there’s less news to talk about, but it doesn’t mean they care about Michael any less.

I'm a MJ-Fan since the age of eight and now I'm 35 years old. To me Michael is human being at first and The Kiing Of Pop in second. Michael is no longer with us and that's why the younger generation aren't fans like the older ones. But Michael will never be forgotten. NEVER! He will never do an album, he will never go on tour and he will never get an award personally. But in music history he is present! His strongest fanbase will never die! And I'm one of them. And I'm proud!

Michael, I love you forever and I will never forget you! You are always in my heart!!!!

MJ is a Legend, an Icon and Idol. Interest in MJ never die, as it never died for Elvis, Freddie M, The Beatles or MM.
The interest is different now than what it used to be when he was alive. Old fans are still there and he is gaining young fans every day. What do you mean youngsters aren't interested in him?

Now the respect for MJ musical and entertainment abilities takes the front seat, as it did for FM, Elvis and others already passed great ones.

I might as well add this, so much for youngsters not being interested in Michael's music:)
PCHS homecoming salute to Michael Jackson on Friday

Thursday, February 7, 2013
Monett Times

The cheer squad is pictured above. In the front row, from left, are: Jennifer Skaggs, Jamie Parrigon and Tisha Haase. Back row: Paige Lewis, Kim Velten and Tiffany Haase. [Times Photo by Melonie Roberts] [Order this photo]
The Pierce City High School cheerleaders are set to perform a tribute to Michael Jackson during homecoming ceremonies on Friday, Feb. 8. The PCHS homecoming theme is "Michael's Back."

Cheerleaders are young, right?

Last edited:
Back