Could have Bad outsold Thriller or at least strongly rivaled it?

analogue

Proud Member
During the Bad era that's when the media was really starting to turn on Michael by calling him a freak, w**** j**** and lots of other disrespectful things and that put a lot of people off from buying the Bad album but if the media wasn't saying all those disgusting things about Michael do you think that Bad could have outsold Thriller or at least strongly rivaled it? I think it very well could have. Michael Mania was still huge during that time.

In many European countries Bad was almost as successful as Thriller, so I think the drop back compared to Thriller is mainly due to the US. I feel like the US public had more hung-ups about Michael's skin, appearance, so called eccentricities than Europe.

On They Don't Care About Us he sings ''I can't believe this a land from which i came''

It's sad that the country Michael was born in seemed to have the biggest hang ups about him

Well, I think Bad DID strongly rival Thriller, didn't it? Despite everything thrown at Michael. Wasn't it (or still is) the SECOND BEST SELLING ALBUM of all time at the time?

Bad did amazingly well and i think album sales in general just have decreased for a long time so that maybe some of the reason, but its true i think whats being said about the US, they really didnt appreciate him anywhere near as much as they should have, and seemed to be terrible for focussing only on these media stories and not the music and talent. Its such a shame any other country would have been proud to have been where MJ came from.

If Bad had been released in 1982 and Thriller in 1987, I believe Bad would be the best-selling album of all time instead of Thriller.

If Bad had been released in 1982 and Thriller in 1987, I believe Bad would be the best-selling album of all time instead of Thriller.

I was going to say this, it's true.

Now imagine if Billie Jean was an unreleased song...

i don't believe there is any wrong way to be the greatest selling artist of all time, with all seven albums selling extraordinarily well, considering everything MJ went through..and even if he didn't go through it.(But he was put through it, as we know, through no fault of his own.) It's safe to say that no other artist could have ever done as well as MJ, no matter what.

Obviously, the media fabricates had something to do with Bad not matching up to Thriller's success. Although another reason could be the time in between the two albums. 5 years is a long time for one's popularity to decline. I firmly believe that if Bad was released in 83 or 84 or 85, it would have matched Thriller's success.

Back