Justin Timberlake Covers 'Shake Your Body' at Hollywood Palladium

I am sorry. I am going to be in the minority here but I don't like Justin at all. I used to but it changed. He can sing whatever song he likes that's fine.

Good for him for having fun. I believe that deep down every artist wants to be like Michael, especially on stage and just bust those sexy moves. Some say it openly, others simply won't admit it. Where Justin Timberlake is concerned I've always felt as if he was too reserved about Michael, so I never could tell whether he was just envious of Michael or if he was just a coward who wouldn't admit his admiration, because it could have affected his career. I just can't get over the fact that all these "admirers" could have paid their tribute and respects to him while he was alive or while he was on trial. That would have shown real love and character on their part. But the silence was deadly and support zero. That is why now I couldn't care less.

Thanks, enjoyed that. Not a huge JT fan, but thought he/the others did a good job with the song, performance. :popcorn:

No worries marebear, I'm with you. I've never liked JT and I never will not even as an actor. He was one of the many hypocrites he was embarrased to be associated with Michael in 2003 but when he passed JT was "oh, I'm gonna always treasure the moments I shared the stage with Michael." And now he does a horrendous cover even copying The Jacksons routine, my 2 cents. I HATE HYPOCRITES!

Last edited:
Good for him for having fun. I believe that deep down every artist wants to be like Michael, especially on stage and just bust those sexy moves. Some say it openly, others simply won't admit it. Where Justin Timberlake is concerned I've always felt as if he was too reserved about Michael, so I never could tell whether he was just envious of Michael or if he was just a coward who wouldn't admit his admiration, because it could have affected his career. I just can't get over the fact that all these "admirers" could have paid their tribute and respects to him while he was alive or while he was on trial. That would have shown real love and character on their part. But the silence was deadly and support zero. That is why now I couldn't care less.

IMO it was that he would not admit his admiration when it wasn't cool to admire Michael because he was afraid it would negatively affect his career. So he had rather cited Prince as his influence in interviews, when it was obvious from moves, from videos etc. that Michael was probably the greatest influence for him. I think he was also pretty cowardly after the nipple-gate incident with Janet.

I don't really care for him either. Even though it's great to see that Michael's music is still very popular.

Thanks for understanding how I feel. I tell people I know but don't tell them exactly why but they look at me like it's a bad thing. I figure it's not a popular thing to say.

Not a JT fan! Find him to be very FAKE. And even Janet had said u don't do that to a friend when talking about how he let her hangin after the Superbowl mess, when he was apart of that crap too. And he also dissed MJ. First wanting to be just like him, then after words gettin upset everyone was comparing him to MJ!

Imitation the sincerest form of flattery...Evidently for some it's just annoying! I recall Justin paying homage to MJ, on numerous occasions.

Seriously, he doesn't/didn't want to be like Michael Jackson!? :blink:

vma02_justin_timberlake_gri.jpg

I don't even remember the name of the song but I do remember when I watched that video, his outfit I'm posting, the song, the video, coreography and eveything else screamed out loud Michael Jackson. Michael did a tribute to Fred Astaire with Band Wagon/Smooth Criminal but it didn't remind to Fred completely because he gave his personal touches to the short film things that other people don't do when they make a tribute to MJ.

It's important to distinguish some things... He never wanted to BE LIKE Michael. He was influenced by MJ style as well as some other artists. Noone who became recognizable in showbiz want to be compared to someone ealse, even if compared to MJ. Noone would like someone saying "Dude, you're a new Michael Jackson!". They want to create their own legacy. As for Justin, he wants to be remembered as Justin Timberlake, not as a new Michael Jackson.

I have to admit that I didn't knew that Justin did such thing back in 2003. And it's a shame of course to turn back from someone who was being a role model and a friend for you. In that case, judging him negatively as a person is greatly justified. But you can't blame him for covering The Jacksons song, what in fact he did really nice.

You may not admire him as a person, but you simply can't say he's not a great artist/performer.

Honestly, if I were him I would've been HONORED to receive such comparisons, if he loved him so much and was sooo influenced by him that would be a compliment not a reason to be bitter.... to me, that would mean he was doing a good enough job to be considered "the new MJ" (which he wasn't nor would he ever be) just sayin'... that IS NOT a reason to diss him and to also be bitter over the comparisons when they happened. I won't say he wasn't good back then, but honestly, he's quite a hypocrite when it comes to Michael, 1st showing obvious signs of being influenced by him and then denying or hating the fact he was. Sorry, I don't like people who just take advantage of Michael's legacy/influence and then turn their back on him.

I don't think Justin betrayed Michael. There are many celebrities that were friends with Michael before and after his 2005 trial that didn't say anything while it was happening. They supported him behind the scenes and just chose not to go public about it. As long as they supported him I don't have a problem with that. But I'm getting off topic and this isn't really the place to talk about it anyways.

Personally I'm a huge Justin Timberlake fan. He's mountains better than Bruno Mars or any of the other garbage that's topping the charts nowadays. He did this song justice and I'm heavily anticipating The 20/20 Experience.

Last edited:
Oh Please. Both Timberlake and his producer Timberland were milking the MJ comparisons in the beginning. Timberland admitted to listening to Off The Wall and Thriller to achieve that MJ sound for Justin's Justified album. Timberland even said that Timberlake was the new MJ. And Timberlake while still being a member of N'sync said he models his speaking voice after MJ.

I use to be a fan myself. But, my issue with him were later when he would get mad with the comparisons. When he was the one who wanted it in the beginning and his producer aswell. And of course the way he dissed Janet. That type of flip flop B.S annoys me. Hence me callin him Fake.

Justin Timberlake is massively overrated. The comparisons with MJ 10 years ago were frankly embarrassing and laughable. Nobody comes close to MJ, let alone Justin Timberlake!

No offence people, but why all the hate on JT? Yes, he dances, so did Mike. Yes, he has worn hats, so did Mike. Yes, he sings with a high voice, so did Mike. But that doesn't mean that he is trying to be Mike at all. It's not like Michael owned the privelige to dance, wear hats or to do pop music all to himself. People will always be influenced by him and that's just a good thing..

We're not jumping on the character of Freddy Krueger for the fact that he has a hat and a single glove are we...

^ Freddie Krueger lol good one

I never saw/heard much of JT on tv interview wise so i couldnt comment on thefact he had denied MJ influence, although ive heard that thats what he did. If he denies wanting to be him or whatever thats fair enough, because he is probably telling the truth. But if he denies all inspiration coming from Mike then that would bother me because theres clearly influence. Next king of pop? No, no where close but you know he has talent cant knock him for that

Back