The WBSS 2008 Appreciation Thread

Billyjeanplxiv

Proud Member
Wanna Be Startin' Something 2008 was Michael Jackson's Last released song he sang. It appeared on Thriller 25, got a single release, and a mini video featuring clips of Michael with Akon singing.

The song includes brand new Michael Jackson vocals and backgrounds. These were recorded at Angelikson studios in 2007.
To popular dismay Eddie Cascio told us during the "Making of Michael" that Mike recorded vocals in the shower for the Cascio tracks. However, this was taken out of context. Michael did record backgrounds in the shower, maybe not for the Cascio Tracks, but for WBSS2008.

"This is in my opinion the BEST remix on Thriller25, and a nice way to leave us wanting more. Which can be said, was Michael's way of weaseling his way back into music. However, due to his untimely death the song still leaves us wanting more. I actually prefer this take on WBSS to all previous versions.
Some people do not like Akon, but Michael worked with him twice. All in all, the tracks from Akon didn't turn out bad at all." ~Billyjeanplxiv

Hold my Hand was to appear on Akon's Freedom album had it not leaked. This leak slowed Michael's comeback. It featured Michael Jackson, and was finally released in 2010. Some of us say, "If only Michael was on WBSS2008/HMH more."
That was Michael's plan, to leave us wanting more as he made his comeback.

"The Best is yet to come...." ~ Michael Jackson

Which can be said, was Michael's way of weaseling his way back into music.
I really enjoyed Akons mix WBSS 2008 as well. and HMH
Please don't take this the wrong way. I understand what you are trying to say but weaseling has such a negative connotation. I don't think that word best describes his actions. Maybe saying he was easing his way back in.. and not into music as he was always working on music. I think this would be a more accurate description and still not change what you are trying to relay. Said with Love

which can be said was Michael's way of easing his way back into releasing his music to the public.

I think it kinda sucks. The song sounds very cheap compared to Michael standards and certainly compared to the original song which is about 10 times better. But Michael's vocals are so cool and fresh on it, that I just have to listen to it when it comes on.

There's too little of him in it though, a verse, then just some "ah, yeah, ah, yeah" and some "LOW to get under" and "yeah!" towards the end. Disappointing, it's basically a Akon Feat. Michael Jackson on Michael's own song.

Akon's singing is also very annoying and his voice doesn't blend in with Michael's at all IMO.

Why did they lie and say that MJ recorded new vocals on those songs?

To me I fast-forwarded right to MJs solo part.. and ^ what do you mean lied about new vocals. They were not the same vocals as on Thriller!

^ It was more similar to the demo but if you play them next to each other you can tell Mikes voice was more raspy on the 2008 version and he didn't do the little short high pitched vocals on "YOU just want to be STARTIN' something... in 2008 More so like how he sang it live.. It is different for sure!

I believe for Thriller 25 the only two things he actually recorded was WBSS and a part or two on For All Time.. cleaned up some words that were not fully sang on the demo.

I believe they were vocals from a demo.
Then you are wrong because they are not. They are clearly from the new era, you can easily tell by his voice. It's more soft, yet "raspy", and mature. Listen to HMH, and BOJ, same type off "mature" mj sound

Obviously new vocals.

I really never listen to any of the Thriller 25 mixes. I regard this and Beat it to be the worst of a pack of average remixes. PYT and GIM are not too bad i guess.

WBSS is just a bad cover version featuring michael of an amazing song in my opinion.

i always adored the verse + ad libs MJ was singing on wbss 2008.
the rest of the song was like.... mehhh too much akon (i dont like his singing).

but one thing makes me sad and angry at same time, his voice became "better" after vince era and it just suxx that he didnt have enough time for a complete new studio album :(
those vocals would have been so great, songs like HMH, WBSS2008 and BOJ had barely mj vocals or this MJ sound which makes you dance (not a big fan of BOJ since the lyrics make me sad)

The only thing I like about that version is Michael's vocals, I didn't get why Akon sang that much and what Michael saw in him to collaborate. IMO His singing is annoying and his music average. The only mix it doesn't bother to listen is TGIM 2008.

WBSS is one of my favourite MJ songs but I don't care much for the 2008 at all. Akon is ruining the song for me

Akons voice is very irritating... A voice that becomes famous because it's unique but when you hear a lot of it - it gets annoying!!

I enjoy it sometimes.

But three things I still don't understand:
-Why is the song on an MJ album (basically a cover version by akon)
-Akon sings "Macumsa"
-The mix of the MJ vocals is unbelieveably bad!

Back