Is Michael's voice/vocals.....

SkyWalk

Proud Member
Different / better post-invincible era 2003-2009 than the invincible era 1999-2002?

Its hard too say I know because there are some amazing songs from the invincible era to compare with but very few we've heard from post-vince, but we can also compare 30th Anniversary show to ThisIsIt.

If you're referring to his voice when he would speak, in This Is It it's a bit deeper, but as far as the vocals are concerned I can't tell you honestly, for me nothing has changed from pre-invincible era to post-invincible era. After all it's a question of a few years.

It's a great question, I was wondering the same thing the other day when I listened to Invincible, hopefully when the new album comes out we'll have a clear idea. I think they may have gotten better because around 2001 MJ sounds very hoarse, although sometimes that did seem on purpose, compared with say Speechless, Blue Gangsta, Break Of Dawn of 1998. But if you listen to Best Of Joy even though it sounds a little bit watered, it sounds clearer and a more recognizable higher MJ styled pitch.

His voice definitely seems "mature" sounding from invincible onwards, especially now hearing songs like A place with no name and I was the loser - I think Hold my Hand is the best representation of what Michael's post-vince era voice sounds like... And he was sounding good!!! A sign of things to come and the direction his voice and vocal style was going in. Man we've heard Michael's voice since the 60's 70's 80's 90's and 00's right up to 2009. I wonder what Michael would have been like in the 2010's.....?

I have to agree with Mary, I'm watching This is It on tv right now and I was just thinking how his vocals sound practically the same. Sometimes his voice did sound deeper of course but I think that with the Invincible era songs we definitely got deeper vocals than of course his earlier work up until let's say mid 90s, I just love him both ways.

Interesting question!

Regarding Michael's singing vocals, I can't say if they were different post-trial (2005-2009) than pre. Songs like Best of Joy and I Am a Loser show that Michael still had the capability to hit those boyish high notes and have that calm charm, even in his late 40s. At the same time, songs on Invincible like Speechless and Butterflies show the same thing. Personally, I can't give a definitive answer until we get more songs from 2005 onwards.

Speaking wise, Michael's voice was drastically different. Around the time of the This Is It announcement, Michael was speaking in his regular voice. He had experimented with a deeper pitch around the time of Invincible's release, but it still had that softness to it. In 2009, he just didn't care. Which, given that he was 50 years old, was probably for the better.

A lil different, I wouldn't say better or worse. I think his voice dropped a bit as he started to get a little older. His speaking voice thoooo...... :wub::shifty::wub::shifty: But I digress lol... *ahem*

No, his voice is not really diffrent, of course he has a more mature voice, but you have to consider that Michael always tried to find new ways to sing, he was experimentating all the time!

Back