Unreleased HIStory cuts?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
So...where are all the History album cuts / demos that didn't make the album. We have them from all of MJ's other albums? Just wondering why the History album's are so rare?

Last edited:
The bulk of HIStory's outtakes, unfortunately, have already been released. Morphine, Ghosts/Is It Scary, Much Too Soon, On the Line, In the Back, etc.

Michael didn't leave behind much usable material from those sessions. Of the forty or fifty songs he worked on, he only completed fourteen and left dozens of others incomplete. There are, of course, a few usable songs left (including the infamous Innocent Man), though I wouldn't expect them to pop up. The Estate is conserving material as much as possible, and given that the HIStory vault is almost empty, they probably won't bargain on releasing much.

Additionally, don't listen to people if they tell you about songs like Fear or Face or Bassouille. None of them actually exist. Unless Michael recorded them at Neverland and told no one about them, they're fake.

Last edited:
The bulk of HIStory's outtakes, unfortunately, have already been released. Morphine, Ghosts/Is It Scary, Much Too Soon, On the Line, In the Back, etc.

Michael didn't leave behind much usable material from those sessions. Of the forty or fifty songs he worked on, he only completed fourteen and left dozens of others incomplete. There are, of course, a few usable songs left (including the infamous Innocent Man), though I wouldn't expect them to pop up. The Estate is conserving material as much as possible, and given that the HIStory vault is almost empty, they probably won't bargain on releasing much.

Additionally, don't listen to people if they tell you about songs like Fear or Face or Bassouille. None of them actually exist. Unless Michael recorded them at Neverland and told no one about them, they're fake.

Something interesting is that Brad Sundberg played an unreleased song at his seminars called Faces (or he said it in the chorus). Now i don't know from which era that song is but it is fun to speculate :)

Face does exist it was played at on of Brad Sundbergs seminars I recall from someone who went and posted their experience

Face does exist it was played at on of Brad Sundbergs seminars I recall from someone who went and posted their experience

very interesting.. would love to hear that someday.. it's possible there are a few more HIStory outtakes.. as we had no clue much too soon existed until it was announced..

Something interesting is that Brad Sundberg played an unreleased song at his seminars called Faces (or he said it in the chorus). Now i don't know from which era that song is but it is fun to speculate :)

I remember hearing about that! Personally, I would guess that that song was recorded before HIStory, as technical director Rob Hoffman never heard it and he heard pretty much every song Michael worked on during those sessions. In any case, I'm very interested in learning more about it. Can anyone actually comment on what it sounded like?

I see so the Blood on the dance floor songs are actually History outtakes. So you telling me Mike thought songs like Ghosts / Is it scary and BOTDF where not good enough for History...?

But then again am I right in saying History was going to be one big double album of new material? But they decided to make the first part of the album a greatest hits thus having to cut those songs Ghosts / Is is scary and BOTDF etc?

Much too soon is not from HIStory, it should be from Thriller.

I see so the Blood on the dance floor songs are actually History outtakes. So you telling me Mike thought songs like Ghosts / Is it scary and BOTDF where not good enough for History...?

I don't think if a song does not get on an album it necessarily means MJ thought it was not good enough. Maybe he thought it did not fit for some reason, or wasn't quite finished with it etc.

But then again am I right in saying History was going to be one big double album of new material? But they decided to make the first part of the album a greatest hits thus having to cut those songs Ghosts / Is is scary and BOTDF etc?

I heard that at first Michael didn't even want to make it a double album because he knew that would make his music more expensive for his fans.

Not necessarily. Blood on the Dance Floor, Superfly Sister and Ghosts are actually from the DANGEROUS sessions (I misspoke when including Ghosts in the HIStory sessions, my apologies!). Morphine and Is It Scary were recorded around 1993/1994. And as it's been said, just because a song didn't make the HIStory album doesn't necessarily mean that Michael didn't think it was good enough. Honestly I can't imagine any of the BOTDF songs on the HIStory album.

I heard that at first Michael didn't even want to make it a double album because he knew that would make his music more expensive for his fans.

Yup! At first he was going to recycle the Decade idea (greatest hits album + a few new songs), but then he decided to give fans an entirely new album after songs like Stranger in Moscow and Money began to progress. Similarly, he wanted to release Blood on the Dance Floor as an EP with the five new songs, as he didn't care for remixes, but Sony pressured him into it.

The double disc idea that was used for History was actually Michaels idea for Dangerous.. I think worked out way better for History, I love the double meaning of the album and what a perfect time to release something like that!! after hard times with songs about what he went through, and songs he's created throughout his history reminding people who exactly he is and what he's done.. Epic

Much Too Soon was re-recorded for HIStory. The version on the Michael album is the 1994 version.

The version on the Michael album is a rework. Apart from the vocals and guitar, the entire finished mixes were ignored and John McClain created something new, the same way he did with "Behind The Mask" as well.

I really believe that songs of BOTDF are outtakes from Dangerous. Especially when i hear BOTDF itself . the intro guitar sounds similar to that one from the unfinished SHE GOT IT track which idea could be the result for BOTDF IMO!

I really believe that songs of BOTDF are outtakes from Dangerous. Especially when i hear BOTDF itself . the intro guitar sounds similar to that one from the unfinished SHE GOT IT track which idea could be the result for BOTDF IMO!

Blood on the Dance Floor, Superfly Sister and Ghosts were indeed done during the Dangerous sessions. Michael recorded Is It Scary in summer 1993 for Addams Family Values, while he did Morphine in 1994.

Wow.. Never knew those songs were from the Dangerous sessions in fact thought they were done after History. Just goes to show that Michael's vocals never really changed since BAD really, heck I even thought Slave to the Rhythm was an invincible outtake just because it was first presumed it was and in fact the vocals are from '89.

I remember hearing about that! Personally, I would guess that that song was recorded before HIStory, as technical director Rob Hoffman never heard it and he heard pretty much every song Michael worked on during those sessions. In any case, I'm very interested in learning more about it. Can anyone actually comment on what it sounded like?

jamba described the song in the Brad Sundberg-Thread:
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...inars-Making-Music-With-Michael-Jackson/page4

I just noticed you posted something on the very same page, so you probably already know this stuff :)

As well as Earth Song. That was recorded in the Dangerous sessions too.

And They Don't Care About Us... and Come Together (recorded in 1988, so not really the Dangerous sessions). Damn, Michael really love the Dangerous outtakes, didn't he? :p

And They Don't Care About Us... and Come Together (recorded in 1988, so not really the Dangerous sessions). Damn, Michael really love the Dangerous outtakes, didn't he? :p

Evidently so XD

Oh and Little Susie was also done during the Dangerous sessions. He mentioned it in the Mexico Deposition.

So Earth Song, They don't care about us, Little Susie, etc were actually recordings from Dangerous sessions or were they just in demo form and then Michael re-recorded them during History sessions?

So Earth Song, They don't care about us, Little Susie, etc were actually recordings from Dangerous sessions or were they just in demo form and then Michael re-recorded them during History sessions?

He re-recorded final ad-libs for Earth Song in 1995, the rest of the vocals are from 1990. Little Susie was recorded in 1994 (written much earlier). They Don't Care About Us recorded 1994, written for Dangerous, demo probably exists, but the lyrics changed.

• They Don't Care About Us - first recorded as early as 1990 (according to Bryan Loren).
  • Earth Song - first recorded in summer 1989 under the title What About Us. Finished in 1995, using the original demo vocals in addition to a newly-recorded bridge/ad-libs.
  • Come Together - first recorded in 1988 for Moonwalker; included as a B-side to Remember the Time.
  • Little Susie - first recorded in 1979 as a demo titled Susie (as Joseph Vogel has pointed out). Was worked on sporadically over the years until 1994, when it was finished with Brad Buxer.

• They Don't Care About Us - first recorded as early as 1990 (according to Bryan Loren).
  • Earth Song - first recorded in summer 1989 under the title What About Us. Finished in 1995, using the original demo vocals in addition to a newly-recorded bridge/ad-libs.
  • Come Together - first recorded in 1988 for Moonwalker; included as a B-side to Remember the Time.
  • Little Susie - first recorded in 1979 as a demo titled Susie (as Joseph Vogel has pointed out). Was worked on sporadically over the years until 1994, when it was finished with Brad Buxer.

Actually Come Together was recorded in 1985 according to Bill Bottrell.

AlwaysThere;3957157 said:

They Don't Care About Us could have even been recorded earlier than that

"We actually did the finishing work on ‘Superfly Sister’ from ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ a few years after I’d already done the track, as this was a song that I started writing during the ‘Dangerous’ sessions. Which made me feel it was always possible that we might revist some of the other music we’d started all that time ago. This was not unusual for Michael, as in the case of ‘They Don’t Care About Us’ from the ‘History’ album. This was a song that he’d started even before I joined him for 'Dangerous'. One of the first things I heard was this song, but it got bumped at that time."
- Bryan Loren

Who knows, it could have been intended for, perhaps Decade?.. It's just so mind boggling how ahead MJ was. Really

Themidwestcowboy;3957169 said:
They Don't Care About Us could have even been recorded earlier than that

"We actually did the finishing work on ‘Superfly Sister’ from ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ a few years after I’d already done the track, as this was a song that I started writing during the ‘Dangerous’ sessions. Which made me feel it was always possible that we might revist some of the other music we’d started all that time ago. This was not unusual for Michael, as in the case of ‘They Don’t Care About Us’ from the ‘History’ album. This was a song that he’d started even before I joined him for 'Dangerous'. One of the first things I heard was this song, but it got bumped at that time."
- Bryan Loren

Who knows, it could have been intended for, perhaps Decade?.. It's just so mind boggling how ahead MJ was. Really

He started writing the song then, but the final lyrics are definitely from 1994.

"Tell me what has become of my life
I have a wife and two children who love me
I am the victim of police brutality, now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of hate
You're rapin' me off my pride...

I'm tired of bein' the victim of shame
They're throwing me in a class with a bad name
I can't believe this is the land from which I came..."

He re-recorded final ad-libs for Earth Song in 1995, the rest of the vocals are from 1990. Little Susie was recorded in 1994 (written much earlier). They Don't Care About Us recorded 1994, written for Dangerous, demo probably exists, but the lyrics changed.
Not entirely correct, although if so, not all of them are from the 90s demo we have. There are some lines in the album version of Earth Song that are re-recorded and different compared to the same lines in the 90s demo.

As for if MJ re-recorded Little Susie and TDCAU just for the HIstory album, who knows? Unless you have some source.

Back