The "Slave To The Rhythm" Thread

Pentum

Dark Lady H2O
We needed a proper Slave To The Rhythm thread!

Leaked in 2010 after a German DJ called "DJ Stolen" got hold of it illegally. The version leaked is re-produced version by Tricky Steward, and was meant for the Michael album in 2010, but didn't make the cut (insane).

Originally, it was produced by LA Reid and Babyface for the Dangerous LP, recorded in 1989 (should've been on Dangerous as well, insane again)

A different mix was leaked (eheh) in 2013 which featured "echoed" vocals and slightly better bass as well as better quality (.aif).

I won't be surprised if the song ends up on the new album, though I wish for it to be differently mixed. Not saying it's bad, but it can be a lot better instrumentally. Very curious to hear the original version as well!

Here's my favorite vocal part in it, filtered to make the voice clearer. Just listen to that voice, he was going strong as hell in this: https://soundcloud.com/pentum/sttr-insane-vocals-part Dare I say, he rarely goes this strong?

I tried searching the net for the complete lyrics, but didn't find any, most were wrong and not complete, so here's my take which I find very accurate. Not 100%, but at least 99%.

?[Intro]

Ho! Chop, chop, chop! Ho!
Hoo-oh! Hoo-oh! Ho! Ho!

[Verse 1]

She dances in the sheets at night
She dances to his needs
She dances til he feels just right, until he falls asleep

She dances at the crack of dawn
And quickly cooks his food
She can't be late, can't take too long, the kids must get to school

Chorus]

'Cause she's a slave to the rhythm
'Cause She's a slave to the rhythm of
'Cause She's a slave to the rhythm
A slave to the rhythm of (Rhythm of love, rhythm of love)

'Cause she's a slave to the rhythm of

[Verse 2]

She dances for the man at work, who works her overtime
She can't be rude, and she says sir, I must be home tonight
She dances to the kitchen stove, dinner is served by nine
She serves his food an hour late, she must be out her mind

[Chorus]

'Cause She's a slave to the rhythm of
'Cause She's a slave to the rhythm
A slave to the rhythm of (Rhythm of love, hooo, rhythm of love)

[Verse 3]

She works so hard, just to make her way
For a man who just don't appreciate
And though he takes, her love in vain
'Til she could not stop, couldn't break his chain

[Bridge]

She danced the night that they fell in love
She swore she'd dance no more
But then she did, he did not quit
As she ran out the door

She danced through the night, in fear of her life
She danced to a beat of her own
She left out a cry and swallowed the pride
She knew she was needed back home, home

[Chorus]

'Cause she's a slave to the rhythm of (Ah!)
A slave to the rhythm of (Love! Love! Love!)

A slave to the rhythm of (Ho! She doesn't get pride, give it to me, give it, baby!)

[Breakdown]

'Cause she's a slave to the rhythm (Ho!)
'Cause she's a slave to the rhythm of (Oh, Lord)
A slave to the rhythm of (Ho! Ho! Ho! Ho!)

'Cause she's a slave to the rhythm (Hold on, hold on)
'Cause she's a slave to the rhythm of (Hold on, hold on)
'Cause she's a slave to the rhythm (Oh my, oh my)
A slave to the rhythm of (She doesn't get pride, give to me, do it, baby!)

'Cause she's a slave to the rhythm (Oh my, oh my)
'Cause she's a slave to the rhythm of (Oh, Lord)
A slave to the rhythm of (Love, love, love, love!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you want this on the new album? Which producers would you want touching it?

Go.

Last edited:
His vocals are outta this world in this song! Timbo gotta touch this one. But i am more intrigued about how the 89 version sounds

i would actually love if L.A reid worked on this song for the new album if i'm honest.. i think he could do the song justice as he worked on it with Michael in 1989! always loved the sessions from that year, i would hope that we are getting the original versions of all song's too! Slave To The Rhythm & 'Can't Get Your Weight Off Me' should both be included and released to the radio! also, hoping for 3 song's from 06-09' too! haha :p

^Yes, look at my edit, I included a Soundcloud link with the part I think is MJ at his best vocally, filtered to make it clearer

^Yes, look at my edit, I included a Soundcloud link with the part I think is MJ at his best vocally, filtered to make it clearer

Alright i gotta check that out! You know my man timbo is the man for the job!

The 89 version could very well have a new jack swing feel to it

SOmething with the version that we got just doesn't sound right. It is good, but it sorta feel like a fan made remix. My fav Era is Dangerous so i would be ecstatic to hear that!

SOmething with the version that we got just doesn't sound right. It is good, but it sorta feel like a fan made remix. My fav Era is Dangerous so i would be ecstatic to hear that!

imagine the kinda instrumental will be similar to the early version of dangerous.. it just seems that those recording sessions seem to have a more raw & intimate method :)

It sooo frustrates me they didn't put this song on the Michael album instead put 'songs' on like Breaking News, unbelievable. I still to this day don't understand what why how who the hell put the Michael album together. Just imagine if it was Slave to the Rhythm that they teased us with in 2010 instead of BN and then released that as the first song. I would of rather they swapped a certain 3 songs for just Slave to the Rhythm - then I would of bought the Michael album.

Well STTR most likely will be on the New Album so you can be happy and buy it . Not much we can do about the the past. So Im Looking forward to a great release of this song as well as others . I hope you can too :)

Well STTR most likely will be on the New Album so you can be happy and buy it . Not much we can do about the the past. So Im Looking forward to a great release of this song as well as others . I hope you can too :)

I just hope they don't mess up and release the Justin Bieber version

Maybe it will be Justin Bieber ft. Jason Malachi........? ?

you think they will stick to what Dr. Freeze told damien then? i mean, the demo's can be saved for a collectors label in like 20 years can't they? guess we'll have to wait and see :) can't wait!!!!!!!! imagine if they use the new High Fidelity Pure Audio BluRay CD's for this release?? :O

its quite astonishing that STTR is from 1989!
it sounded more like 1999-2002 (vocal wise).

what i never understand: why michael didnt release it on dangerous ie.

i actually dont like this 2010 mix by tricky stewart. michael was all about funky and groovy sounds, but this STTR mix is boring. his vocals are indeed outta this world, actually his best vocal performance.

hopefully timbaland prepares it for a decent single release.

its quite astonishing that STTR is from 1989!
it sounded more like 1999-2002 (vocal wise).

what i never understand: why michael didnt release it on dangerous ie.

i actually dont like this 2010 mix by tricky stewart. michael was all about funky and groovy sounds, but this STTR mix is boring. his vocals are indeed outta this world, actually his best vocal performance.

hopefully timbaland prepares it for a decent single release.

If slave to the rhythm is included and timbaland is working on the album then i think if he could do something like he did on 'let the groove get in' by JT.. that could seriously work! i just hope Michael's vocal track isn't washed out by the instrumental lol.. and i agree, Michael's voice matured a lot after the BAD Tour! that's why his voice is very similar to the later years/era's..

edit: this is why i mentioned LTGGI

Last edited:
The song has grown on me so I wouldn't mind seeing it on the new album, though I hope they discard Tricky Stewart's mix. It sounds so amateurish, and he turned it into another cliched club track, of which we have way too many in popular music. I'd love to hear the original mix (or maybe even call in Timbaland to do some magic on it), because Michael kills it with the vocals.

The song has grown on me so I wouldn't mind seeing it on the new album, though I hope they discard Tricky Stewart's mix. It sounds so amateurish, and he turned it into another cliched club track, of which we have way too many in popular music. I'd love to hear the original mix (or maybe even call in Timbaland to do some magic on it), because Michael kills it with the vocals.

Exactly!

Don't hate me guys I'd like to see Teddy Riley work on the song with him working on a lot of Dangerous with MJ.I love the freshness the Dangerous album has even today and I'd like to see if Teddy could make more magic with this, or LA Reid since he worked on the song originally with Michael.

Don't hate me guys I'd like to see Teddy Riley work on the song with him working on a lot of Dangerous with MJ.I love the freshness the Dangerous album has even today and I'd like to see if Teddy could make more magic with this, or LA Reid since he worked on the song originally with Michael.

now that LA reid is the ceo at epic records i think he should personally work on the song! he could bring in Kenneth Edmonds.. they could make something so fresh and fantastic.. like a finalised version that sounds like the original 1989 demo :)

Back