New MJ figure "Smooth Crimnal" (Bandai) at the Toy Fair 2014

Xtarlight and Mpenziwe

Proud Member
Toy Fair 2014: S.H. Figuarts Naruto, Batman And Michael Jackson
by Caleb Goellner February 16, 2014 9:12 PM

Having spent enough to support a small child on Bandai’s S.H. Figuarts action figure line, I was a bit relieved to see that Bluefin Tamashii Nations’ Toy Fair 2014 booth was relatively relaxed in terms of never-before-seen figures. My relief didn’t last too long, however, as I took in the big items from the show. Not only did we get a second, more fleshed-out look at the upcoming Injustice: Gods Among Us Batman, we also got to scope out a Shippuden-style Naruto and an articulated Michael Jackson in his Moonwalker getup.

According to signage the die-cast/composite resin Batman figure will arrive in the fall of 2014. Earlier reports suggested that the figure would come with a swappable fully-helmeted head evocative of Japanese superheroes like Kamen Rider, but it wasn’t shown in the display. A huge batarang accessory was, though.

The Naruto and Michael Jackson figuares are a little mysterious at the moment, with pricing and availability information still TBD. What we can see, however, is that MJ will come with a Moonwalker shadow base and Naruto will come with swappable hands and at least one energy effect part.

Sidenote: I know Moonwalker was a movie, but I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who will choose to see this toy as a version of Jackson from the Moonwalker video game tie-ins.

Michael-Jackson-Moonwalker-S.H.-Figuarts-1.jpg

Michael-Jackson-Moonwalker-S.H.-Figuarts-2.jpg

Michael-Jackson-Moonwalker-S.H.-Figuarts-3.jpg

http://comicsalliance.com/toy-fair-2014-s-h-figuarts-naruto-batman-michael-jackson/

I was excited... and then dismayed. He appears to have no ponytail! Aaaaagggghhh! Hope I'm wrong... I would love to add him to my MJ doll/action figure collection! Will be awaiting release details with interest ('coz maybe I can mold any missing details for him myself!)

Thanks a bunch for this post, Xtarlight and Mpenziwe!

Lots of times these are prototype versions, not the final product, notice he doesn't have a tie either. I love these Figuarts, got the Daft Punk figures too.

I really hope it's a prototype and not the final version indeed. It'd be a really bad depiction of Michael in Smooth Criminal, not only he has no ponytail, nor a tie, I think I don't see the suspenders for his trausers either. He wasn't totally affected by vitiligo yet, the skin looks too pale.

I think I don't see the suspenders for his trausers either.

Really? They're right there...
zeMlcfp.jpg

--

It probably is a prototype, it's a pretty ugly figure to be honest and it doesn't look anywhere near as good as those Thriller/Beat It/Billie Jean action figures I've seen. Although I think it's pretty cool that the black base MJ is leaning on is the iconic silhouette of him doing the lean, so it's kinda like a shadow :D

They should do what they did with those dolls actually, let you be able to add and remove the clothes as you could with the other MJ dolls. That way you can hide most of the the 'joints', and thus make it look nicer while still being posable. Like they did below:
jx4d138.jpg

I can't believe Bandai is showing the new MJ Smooth Criminal action figure. Though they made a couple of inaccuracies, but I don't care I wanna get that.

Having spent enough to support a small child on Bandai’s S.H. Figuarts action figure line, I was a bit relieved to see that Bluefin Tamashii Nations’ Toy Fair 2014 booth was relatively relaxed in terms of never-before-seen figures. My relief didn’t last too long, however, as I took in the big items from the show. Not only did we get a second, more fleshed-out look at the upcoming Injustice: Gods Among Us Batman, we also got to scope out a Shippuden-style Naruto and an articulated Michael Jackson in his Moonwalker getup.

According to signage the die-cast/composite resin Batman figure will arrive in the fall of 2014. Earlier reports suggested that the figure would come with a swappable fully-helmeted head evocative of Japanese superheroes like Kamen Rider, but it wasn’t shown in the display. A huge batarang accessory was, though.

The Naruto and Michael Jackson figuares are a little mysterious at the moment, with pricing and availability information still TBD. What we can see, however, is that MJ will come with a Moonwalker shadow base and Naruto will come with swappable hands and at least one energy effect part.

Sidenote: I know Moonwalker was a movie, but I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who will choose to see this toy as a version of Jackson from the Moonwalker video game tie-ins.

You can see all of the upcoming S.H. Figuarts below, plus a bonus video of the Super Mario figure we showed you awhile back.

http://comicsalliance.com/toy-fair-2014-s-h-figuarts-naruto-batman-michael-jackson/

Michael-Jackson-Moonwalker-S.H.-Figuarts-1.jpg

Michael-Jackson-Moonwalker-S.H.-Figuarts-2.jpg

So, this is Bandai's toy and not a Hot Toy's one? Didn't Hot Toy's tease an Smooth Criminal figure a while back and say they'd be making one? I thought that's what this was.

Daft Punk costs 45 dollars - so maybe MJ will too?!?

Back