Was Ghosts filmed in widescreen?

Hess

Proud Member
Title says it all. - Was Ghosts filmed on 35mm (or what it is called)

If so, it would be possible to release it on Blu-Ray in new widescreen format right??

Imagine that. A widescreen crystal clear version of Ghosts with perfect sound!! :)

And maybe a lot of extras - Making of etc. etc.

I'm not sure if it was. I have an HD version of it that aired on Japanese television, and it has the black bars on the sides that you usually see with shows/movies filmed in letterbox format and shown on widescreen displays. So my guess would be no.

I do wonder why the full version of Ghosts seems to get the shaft when it comes to home video releases. Does it have something to do with that Kingdom Entertainment company it was released under?

But Ghosts premiered in Cannes didn't it? - In a theather/cinema? - It would have been widescreen wouldn't it?

I really hope it was filmed in widescreen - and that we get to see it someday!

Ghosts was def filmed in film . Yeah whatsup with thr kingdom entrrtainment situation?

But Ghosts premiered in Cannes didn't it? - In a theather/cinema? - It would have been widescreen wouldn't it?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Huh... does this mean we've been missing out on a bunch of stuff in the frame due to only seeing it in widescreen all these years? O_O

It was most likely filmed in a 4:3 (1.33:1) aspect ratio. The fact that it was 35mm film doesn't make a difference as you can shoot in 35mm with either aspect ratio.

In regards to people thinking if they've deliberately cut off the sides, I'm not really seeing why they would deliberately pillarbox the image considering that a decent number of Michael's short films from the early 90s onwards were released in widescreen. Also, just because it was shown at Cannes doesn't mean it was widescreen either. I don't think they'd have a requirement for every film to be presented in widescreen (even then, if it was shot in 4:3 and the requirement was widescreen, they'd just pillarbox it to make it fit the widescreen requirement).

I hope so too that the original format is 16:9, I don't know I think it would have been strange to play it at the cannes film festival as a "4:3 production".
But if they have to crop the 4:3 image to get 16:9, I'll chose 4:3!

In the making of/credits of ghosts you can see they worked with panavision lenses, BUT a monitor where they are reviewing the footage (in the making of) has only the 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9. So unfortunately Ghosts seems to be shot with the 4:3 aspect ratio in mind.

Edit: Here is a screenshot, taken from the making of on youtube:

Last edited:
I'm not sure but short film snippets in Moonwalker are widescreen:

They should release all short films in HD in their original aspect ratios. No zooming.

Last edited:
Back