Which MJ tracks do you love but rarely listen to?

Tony R

Proud Member
The problem with bloody Michael Jackson is that he did too much damn good, nay amazing, stuff. So it's easy just to listen to the same 50 or 60 tracks all the time. Especially since the advent of digital music & playlists.

When I was younger I would put my cassette in (ask your Dads) play the full Off The Wall, then Thriller then Bad etc..

Now I have lists of all my favourite songs. So I rarely listen to the songs below, which means when I do remember & put them on they are the sweetest treat ever. Some of them then become firm favourites again. For example I rediscovered Heartbreak Hotel last year after years without listening to it. Now the original, single & live versions (from Jacksons Live & Bad25) are in all my playlists. Same with Dancin' Machine.

The following are others that I must get reaquainted with.

Walk Right Now
That's What You Get (For Bein' Polite)
We Can Change The World
Burn This Disco Out
Lady In My Life
Speed Demon
Can't Let Her Get Away
She Drives Me Wild
Gone Too Soon
Why You Wanna Trip On Me
Money
Childhood
Tabloid Junkie
Unbreakable
You Rock My World
Speechless
2000 Watts

Last edited:
I listen to music mostly on Spotify nowadays, so the MJ songs which aren't on Spotify (eg. some songs from the Ultimate Collection) are songs like that to me.

It was this past Summer the last time I had really listen to Michael. I totally blame my constant state of deep depression. Over what had happen to him. Of why I rarely listen to him anymore. I would rather listen to my Bollywood music mostly anymore. But when I do listen to Michael it is always on my MP3 player. But I don't have all of his songs on it. Just mostly the ones I know I can handle hearing. Like:

Who Is It
Someone Put Your Hand Out
Abortion Papers
Do You Know Where Your Children Are
Al Capone
Dangerous
and Give In To Me

But a lot of his songs. That were once some of my most played songs of when we still had him. I totally avoid now. Like Man In The Mirror, Will You Be There, and You Are Not Alone. Especially Man In The Mirror that song is pure 100% poison to me now. You can totally blame July 7th 2009 for that. And I also totally avoid the entire Invincible album. I used to L.O.V.E. that album back when we still had him. But now I try very hard to pretend that album doesn't even exist. Now thanks to my depression I don't even consider myself an MJ fan anymore. Well very, very hardly am I one now. The same joy and excitement that I used to have of being an MJ fan. Is now for Shahrukh Khan now.

I rarely listen to the albums as a whole, as I know them inside out, back to front etc. I more get in the mood for certain tracks.... for example I've been playing Jam, Dangerous (the song) and Xscape (the song) on a bit of a loop lately. In a few months that'll probably change to another three songs....

My all time favourites (TDCAU, Morphine, WII) I rarely play as I don't want to over-expose myself to them.

Since you guys mentioned playlists and how playlists are what we mostly listen to instead of albums, what are your fave playlists?

I have three main MJ playlists that I often play. I have a big one that covers most of his adult career:

Michael Jackson Through The Years

One with young MJ (age 11-17):

Jackson 5 & Young Michael Jackson Playlist (Age 11-17)

And one with light, fun, "party" MJ songs:

The Michael Jackson Party Playlist

I also have some others, like one with demos/outtakes and a so called "Alternative HIStory" playlist where I mixed the HIStory album with BOTDF.

I like to include Jacksons tracks, because IMO they are as much a part of MJ's catalog as his solo work, esp. Destiny and Triumph where he and his brothers wrote most songs.

Another Part of Me, Serious Effect, This Place Hotel...

^ Not sure I could cope spending more than two days without listening to 'Another Part Of Me'! :)

I listen to his music on my way into work. Just gets me in a good mood for the day.
I haven't listened to earlier material lately. Favourites:
Who's loving you
Ben
It's your thing
Among others...

Time Waits For No One
For All Time
Come Together
Streetwalker
Lady In My Life
Stranger In Moscow
Morphine
Is It Scary

Recently i've been listening to unreleased tracks quite a lot! i haven't listened to some of the Motown albums for a while..

Thriller (along with every other song on the Thriller album, except for Beat It/Billie Jean), Another Part of Me, Just Good Friends, Smooth Criminal (which is weird 'cause at one point I played it nonstop), Dirty Diana, Smile, This Is It (both versions), along with several songs off of Invincible.

^ In all fairnesss, I don't think anyone listens to 'This Is It'!

^ In all fairnesss, I don't think anyone listens to 'This Is It'!

I do from time to time actually. I like to consider it the 'curtain call' of his career I suppose.

Last time I played it was a few days ago when me and my friends were about to play the final heist on Grand Theft Auto Online. As we were preparing to start it it, I played This Is It over Skype and it made the moment even better :p

It's a great song, especially the orchestra version

It's a great song, especially the orchestra version

Agreed. I think it's pretty cool they actually found a song in his archive (from 26 years back) where he sings 'This Is It' in the chorus :)

Agreed. I think it's pretty cool they actually found a song in his archive (from 26 years back) where he sings 'This Is It' in the chorus :)

Haven't heard it in a few month's but isn't ''This Is It'' the first word he sing's in the track? :')

Haven't heard it in a few month's but isn't ''This Is It'' the first word he sing's in the track? :')

Off the top of my head...

'Ready? 1...2...3...4!' cue piano, then 'THIS IS IT!' :D

(now you have me playing it hehe)

Back