Aintree 1988 Appreciation Thread

Zakk

Proud Member
Michael's voice, energy and overall performance at this show is incredible! the crowd is electric, the highlight of the BAD World Tour if i'm honest. Anyway, this full show was shot on film, and in hopes that it will eventually be released either as a montage show or as the unedited footage.. here's something to wet your appetite.

Was this his largest audience ever?

Yes. There were 125,000 people in the crowd according to wikipedia.

These are from there I think
vlcsnap-2013-07-30-11h48m23s235_zps8e93af4a.png

vlcsnap-2012-10-23-10h36m43s172_zpscddf92ab.png

The attendance was equaled only by Prague in 1996! this concert is HIStoric, the reviews of this particular night praise it as an exquisite rendition of a blessed performer at the height of his incomparable genius. I hope it will be released, i honestly wouldn't mind a montage show but i'd always choose the unedited masterpiece. This show also has the only BAD Groove interlude i can listen/watch throughout.

Yes. There were 125,000 people in the crowd according to wikipedia.

These are from there I think
vlcsnap-2013-07-30-11h48m23s235_zps8e93af4a.png

vlcsnap-2012-10-23-10h36m43s172_zpscddf92ab.png

Indeed they are, first is a helicopter shot of Michael performing IJCSLY with Sheryl :) This is the same show.. obviously just a tape transfer.. voice sounds great though.

Huge, enthusiastic, sing-along audience. MJ being in great shape vocally and physically. It does sound like a great candidate for release. If there is good footage of it.

Love the audio to this. One of the loudest crowds MJ has had. I would love to see this concert because it sounds amazing and it's so close to where I live :yes:

Love the audio to this. One of the loudest crowds MJ has had. I would love to see this concert because it sounds amazing and it's so close to where I live :yes:

You don't wanna know how many time's i've emailed the online team asking for the second leg on Blu-Ray.. i always mention Aintree.. but Europe 1988, late 1988 & 1989 is just incredible..

This is great. Thank you Zakk. Don't know why they don't release more on Blu-Ray. The stuff they must be sitting on...

The vocal you posted Zakk doesn't sound the best though I have to say.

I mean it's fine, but I thought Wembley and Yokohama sounded better on that particular song you posted.

The vocal you posted Zakk doesn't sound the best though I have to say.

I mean it's fine, but I thought Wembley and Yokohama sounded better on that particular song you posted.

I disagree, the vocals throughout the Aintree show are much stronger than at Wembley! we all have our own opinions but i think his raspier voice is more authentic, plus the ad libs at the end of 'BAD' are incredible, ''Shake it baby, shake your lover.. shake your booty''

Any Bad Tour concert on Blu-Ray would be great. This Liverpool concert is a great choice for release but I would be fine with any of them. Bad Tour concert in 1080p would be the best release ever! :)

Indeed they are, first is a helicopter shot of Michael performing IJCSLY with Sheryl :)
There was also a great night time shot in Moonwalker:
vlcsnap-2013-07-30-12h19m26s157_zpsb93f3326.png

Any Bad Tour concert on Blu-Ray would be great. This Liverpool concert is a great choice for release but I would be fine with any of them. Bad Tour concert in 1080p would be the best release ever! :)

I echo this! This is the one thing I would love to see and would beat any previous MJ release for me.

Would love to see Leeds, but only because I was there.

It would also be worth it as we sung Happy Birthday during the breakdown between IJCSLY / She's Out Of My Life

Would love to see Leeds, but only because I was there.

It would also be worth it as we sung Happy Birthday during the breakdown between IJCSLY / She's Out Of My Life

A montage of Paris/Hamburg/Aintree/Cork/Leeds & Wembley July 14th/23rd would be great! i just want a complete experience of the second leg in High Def to be quite honest though

I added Liverpool to my personal choice for any Bad Tour shows to come out officially along with the ones I wanted are Rome (European Premiere May 23rd), another Wembley show (July 22nd) and Los Angeles 1989 (Bad Tour Finale).

For the show in Liverpool I'd really love to see the opening, the band play "Bad Groove Interlude" which are the instrumental versions of a few songs from the Beatles which act as a tribute to the group and also "Bad", because I swear during the track which I previously stated Michael sounded like he's shouting "HINATA!" (as a reference to a character from Naruto) and I don't if he shouted that or it's something else. Which is I'm planning on doing a MJ/NaruHina sequal story after I'm done with the first story.

I love his dancing during Another Part Of Me at Los Angeles

Been meaning to ask for ages, but not worth its own thread, what does Michael shout quite a few times during the Wembley gig?

It sounds like Whatto!!, he does it during APOM, Heartbreak Hotel & Rock WIth You.

Any idea? It's killing me!

Been meaning to ask for ages, but not worth its own thread, what does Michael shout quite a few times during the Wembley gig?

It sounds like Whatto!!, he does it during APOM, Heartbreak Hotel & Rock WIth You.

To me it sounds like parto or barto

Me too, November 13th 1988 looks fantastic also! what about Vienna & Wurzburg? so many shows.. haha

"Bad" from Wurzburg is awesome especially when we saw the sidewalk upclose other than the LA show when we saw the same upclose shot.

"Bad" from Wurzburg is awesome especially when we saw the sidewalk upclose other than the LA show when we saw the same upclose shot.

I always thought that might have been Cork.. but i think you're right about it being Wurzburg.. definitely looks like Film-Umatic-VHS (the sidewalk i mean)

Last edited:
I think it's very important to let the estate know that we'll be happy with any show from 1988/1989 on blu ray. Last time I think people focused only on Wembley too much

YEEEESSS!! This has aaaalways bugged me hahah, I so wanna know what he's saying, sounds like... Montow :brow: I hope someone knows:laugh:

I always thought that might have been Cork.. but i think you're right about it being Wurzburg.. definitely looks like Film-Umatic-VHS (the sidewalk i mean)

Well it's a good thing I studied with my ears. And you know "Man In The Mirror" from the MEGA Special on the Bad Tour? They say to believed that is Liverpool, but I know that's not from Liverpool, because they show the early shows from Rome to maybe Berlin and I think that "Man In The Mirror" performance maybe from the Rome show.

Last edited:
Well it's a good thing I studied with my ears. And you know "Man In The Mirror" from the MEGA Special on the Bad Tour? They say to believed that is Liverpool, but I know that's not from Liverpool, because they show the early shows from Rome to maybe Berlin and I think that "Man In The Mirror" performance maybe from the Romer show.

You could be right, as the lighting at the start of the clip resonates what could be a stadium.. the reprise could be from Aintree though.. i think the clips from WBSS are from Hamburg, when it zooms out.. the stadium looks identical to the Volksparkstadion!

1988 News Report.
Good news report with great footage, but I still find it so odd that the reporter can just say the words "W-J" as if it were absolutely nothing. I'm fascinated by the pix of this set up-it looks like he has a small town behind that stage. Absolutely amazing.

Good news report with great footage, but I still find it so odd that the reporter can just say the words "W-J" as if it were absolutely nothing. I'm fascinated by the pix of this set up-it looks like he has a small town behind that stage. Absolutely amazing.

The reporter using the forbidden word "W**** J****" is the only one thing that bothers me, well peeved actually, but the part during "WBSS" when Michael did a close up and that made the girls shriek in glee like in the audio was a favourite of mine.

Back