They tried it again: Katy Perry is again compared to MJ (LOL)

HIStory

Proud Member
"So, Prism didn't dominate the pop universe quite like Teenage Dream did -- but is it really fair to compare the career-defining blockbuster with its follow-up? Since the chart run of Teenage Dream has long been contrasted with that of Jackson's Bad album, let's equate Prism with MJ's Bad follow-up, 1991's Dangerous. As covered by Billboard chart whiz Gary Trust in October 2013, here's how Jackson's Dangerous singles performed on the Hot 100:

"Black or White": No. 1 peak (seven weeks)
"Remember the Time": No. 3 peak
"In the Closet": No. 6 peak
"Jam": No. 26 peak
"Heal the World": No. 27 peak
"Who Is It": No. 14 peak
"Will You Be There": No. 7 peak

It's a startlingly similar run to that of Perry's latest album: seven total weeks at No. 1 for Dangerous singles compared to six for Prism, a handful of solid but by no means defining hits ("In the Closet" is Jackson's career equivalent to Perry's "Birthday," "Will You Be There" his "Unconditionally "), and a couple relative misfires that couldn't crack the top 20. It's mind-boggling to consider that Perry has followed Michael Jackson's commercial trajectory on multiple albums now -- on the commanding Teenage Dream, and then the huge-if-not-quite-enormous success of Prism."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6443782/katy-perry-prism-era-is-impressive

They are trying really, really hard to hype up this mediocre girl on the level of legends. LOL.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

yoINmzL.gif

Like she has some catchy songs I'll give her that (I won't even deny catching myself singing her songs sometimes), but I can think of countless better musicians from this day and age in all honesty.

Hilarious comparison. I played the album a bit upon release but never once did I think of even remotely comparing the two. If you want to compare charts and stuff then by all means, but in regards to it's artistry and influence, Dangerous is leaps ahead of Prism.

WTF is wrong with them!? :wtf:

Michael never was popy, bubbly and shallowly stupid in his songs, probably he was popy bubbly in the Jackson 5 years but never stupid.

I'm so tired of her one ongoing song divided to dozens of tracks with different names. :ermm:

Don't know why this gets you all het up!

All they are doing is comparing chart achievements which is fair enough in this case.

No-one is saying they are on the same level talent wise or in terms of quality.

And even if they were, it's not fact - just opinion.

Back then they were telling us that Bad and Dangerous were flop albums. Now they are using them as a measure of success. How ironic.

I cannot even count the "new Michael Jacksons" since I became a fan of MJ as a kid back in the 1980s. They are nowhere now, but MJ still keeps slaying Spotify and YouTube and Thriller still charts as we speak. Where will Katy Perry be in 20 or just 10 years time? Let's get back to this subject then. :dont_mention_it:

All they are doing is comparing chart achievements which is fair enough in this case.

How is that a "fair" comparation though? Chart positions tell you nothing about actual sales (and in that Perry is nowhere near Bad or Dangerous). And how is it fair to leave out Thriller when they write "it's mind-boggling to consider that Perry has followed Michael Jackson's commercial trajectory on multiple albums now"? If they make such bold statements they better back it up. And chart positions are not enough in themselves without the sales numbers. To be honest it sounds like a PR article paid by her PR team, because the comparation just does not make any sense. It's like they are trying to make excuses for her because her latest album was not as successful as her previous one.

"By no means defining hits ("Will You Be There.")"

Have they never heard of Free Willy? Or MTV? As a kid who grew up in the 90's, that is a defining song for my generation. I sure as heck won't be singing "I Kissed a Girl" in 25 years.. They can go blow it out their ear
:beee:

Last edited:
"By no means defining hits ("Will You Be There.")"

Have they never heard of Free Willy? Or MTV? As a kid who grew up in the 90's, that is a defining song for my generation. I sure as heck won't be singing "I Kissed a Girl" in 25 years.. They can go blow it out their ear
:beee:

Really, to pull a parallel between songs like Birthday/Unconditionally and WYBT/ITC is offensive in itself. LOL. I know Billboard is focused on the success angle, not quality, but there is no reason to compare someone like Katy Perry to MJ. They are not playing in the same league.

How is that a "fair" comparation though? Chart positions tell you nothing about actual sales (and in that Perry is nowhere near Bad or Dangerous). And how is it fair to leave out Thriller when they write "it's mind-boggling to consider that Perry has followed Michael Jackson's commercial trajectory on multiple albums now"? If they make such bold statements they better back it up. And chart positions are not enough in themselves without the sales numbers. To be honest it sounds like a PR article paid by her PR team, because the comparation just does not make any sense. It's like they are trying to make excuses for her because her latest album was not as successful as her previous one.

For me, it's just nice to see Michael linked to positive stuff like his achievements in record sales rather than anything negative.

It's not like they are saying her work is better, and like I say so what if they were. Record sales prove his albums are more popular in the extreme.

I don't like how this tends to attract quite nasty posts about the artist in question. I'm no Perry fan but she's had massive success and seems to be quite talented. No, she's not in Mjs league, but who is?

Really, to pull a parallel between songs like Birthday/Unconditionally and WYBT/ITC is offensive in itself. LOL. I know Billboard is focused on the success angle, not quality, but there is no reason to compare someone like Katy Perry to MJ. They are not playing in the same league.

Just the lyrics of WYBT blow me away to this day: "Hold me, like the River Jordan, and I will then say to Thee, you are my friend. Carry me, like you are my Brother, love me like a Mother, will you be there? Weary, tell me will you hold me? When wrong will you scold me? When lost will you find me? But they told me, a man should be faithful, and walk when not able, and fight til the end but I'm only human. Everyone's taking control of me, seems like the World's got a role for me, I'm so confused will you show it to me? You'll be there for me and care enough to bear me." etc. :bow:

Annnnnnd Katy Perry: "Come just as you are to me, don't need apologies. Know that you are worthy. I'll take your bad days with your good. Walk through the storm I would. I do it all because I love you, I looooove you. Unconditional. Unconditionally. I will love you, unconditionally. " :busted:

Noooooooooope Katy, Yuuuuuuup MJ :yes:

And don't even get me started on comparing a song of sultry salacious hidden love with a song about giving someone birthday sex ...

Last edited:
The basis of my disgust around this article mostly stems from the fact that Katy Perry, of all the contemporary musicians, is the one that is continually compared to Michael. It disgusts me even more that her collection of trash she calls "music" matched a twenty four year old record and now stands against five of the greatest pop songs ever recorded.

Any given Michael Jackson song possesses more raw talent and artistic merit than all of Perry's albums combined.

Call me crude or overreacting, but it disappoints me that more talented artists don't see such comparisons.

Obviously any comparison to MJ is beyond insane however I do like Unconditionally. Not that it is in any way comparable to MJ's work but I do like it.

Katy could only dream she released an album such as the masterpiece Dangerous. What a bunch of shit this article is.

'BAD' & 'Dangerous' are more refined than 'Thriller' even though they don't get as much exposure. Katy Perry is crap, even Jessie J is a better vocalist than her.

I wonder if Michael official twitter account posted response to the this funny article from Billboard:)

Michael Jackson @michaeljackson · 20h 20 hours ago
#MJFact: It only took two months for Dangerous to sell 10 million records.
B75AxLaIgAArPEw.jpg:large

Anyways, I strongly protest against the last word. It is not honor if Katy got 5 no 1 singles by cheating, full stop.
"Teenage Dream is famous for becoming the first album since Michael Jackson's 1987 full-length Bad to score five No. 1 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart; no album other than those two has ever earned that honor."

It pains me like no tomorrow when MJ is compared to someone like Katy Perry. It is as much annoying as comparing One Direction to the Beatles, and it is like comparing fluff to something solid (if you get what I mean:D).

I don't have anything against Katy Perry but really not familiar with any of her songs besides "I kissed a girl". But I haven't cared about most music for many years. Most of Pop music on the whole is what we used to call bubblegum back in my day.

My BIG problem is Billboard keeps changing the rules in order to destroy decades old records. Katy was allowed to take her records, add another vocalist and put them back out there. And they counted them as the same song. That wasn't allowed in Michael's time and they shouldn't change the rules.

Same thing with catalog albums-they changed the rules when Whitney died-not when Michael died. Not fair at all.

Last edited:
'BAD' & 'Dangerous' are more refined than 'Thriller' even though they don't get as much exposure. Katy Perry is crap, even Jessie J is a better vocalist than her.
Well to be fair Jessie J has one hell of a voice.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see through this thinly veiled attempt
to re-write history for Michael.
Funny it's only Michael Jackson the King of Pop, the target here.
You only need to hear her sing "Firework" .
If she were to be some unknown CHANGING keys in a middle of a song,
she gets the boot faster than the trajectory of super soaker for a talent singing contest!
Enuff said. .....Pfft!

Well to be fair Jessie J has one hell of a voice.

Jessie J is so underrated. She has an awesome voice. Even on her latest hit, Bang Bang (with Ariana and Nicki), she makes sure she's the star of the song.
And even when they have done it live, she slays Ariana. Though, I have to give both Jessie AND Ariana for actually singing their music LIVE.

I like Katy Perry but I don't like the fact they are comparing Katy to MJ...MJ is and will always be the best entertainer of all time. Katy is gonna preform Superbowl half time....Still MJ's was the best!

"Will You Be There" his "Unconditionally" ???

"misfires" - Jam, Heal the World ???

Disgusting, insulting & historically and musically false article. White American propaganda.

That is wrong also. The rules have changed. The music industry has changed. Their comparisons are irrelevant and bogus.

Yeah, fair point. What sort of chart rules have changed? Not challenging you, just genuinely curious.

I know that nowadays you can decrease prices on digital retailers to help sell and move up the charts (as was the case with a few of the singles from Teenage Dream)... and catalogue albums are now available on the normal Billboard charts now I believe? That wasn't the case around Michael's death though. Any other rules?

Last edited:
Back