Michael's darkest song

analogue

Proud Member
What do you think is Michael's darkest song? I think it's Morphine

Little Susie.

Also a stunning piece of work.

For an artist mainly known for pop music he made a lot of dark songs or songs with dark undertones.

Billie Jean, Who Is It, Threatened, Morphine, Little Susie, Give In To Me, TDCAU to name a few

Morphine.

I'd also like to mention that some of the songs on the Destiny album also have a dark undertone - eg. That's What You Get (For Being Polite).

I agree, he actually had a lot of rather dark songs. He surely wasn't this sugary-sweet pop artist.

I'd say 'Privacy' very personal to Michael's life. Such respect i feel for his integrity and strength.

While sounding like happy upbeat dance songs, stuff like DYKWYCA, Hollywood Tonight etc. has pretty serious/dark themes.
I'm pretty sure there are a couple of unreleased songs left with intense lyrics, judging from known titles like "Tragedy of a Cheerleader" or "Michael McKellar".

Do You Know Where Your Children Are. Timberland took a piss all over that song

Do You Know Where Your Children Are is one of my favourites.
I'd also say Is It Scary is one his dark songs.

Little Susie is incredible. Micheal at the peak of his artistry.

Blood On The Dancefloor is intense. A worthy contender

Morphine.

I'd also like to mention that some of the songs on the Destiny album also have a dark undertone - eg. That's What You Get (For Being Polite).

I agree, he actually had a lot of rather dark songs. He surely wasn't this sugary-sweet pop artist.

I was thinking about this the other day and you are so right. People,always be saying that they wanted Michael to revert and write the old carefree songs he wrote during off the wall and thriller. The truth is Michael was always avante garde and daring. Heartbreak Hotel, Working Day And Night, Billie Jean, Beat It, Little Susie, Destiny. Michael was never that sugary sweet innocent pop artist. That's a false label.

Last edited:
I agree with your mentions, also Price Of Fame, Abortion Papers and We've Had Enough have dark subjects.

I remember when Bad 25 came out and I was dancing along to Abortion Papers. I'm not against abortion, but I actually stopped as I realised I was dancing to a song about abortion.

Michael sure has a knack for making irresistibly groovy songs about dark topics...

:p

I was thinking about this the other day and you are so right. People,always be saying that they wanted Michael to revert and write the old carefree songs he wrote during off the wall and thriller. The truth is Michael was always avante garde and daring. Heartbreak Hotel, Working Day And Night, Billie Jean, Beat It, Little Susie, Destiny. Michael was never that sugary sweet innocent pop artist. That's a false label.

Exactly. Even the so called "disco records" of the Jacksons era. I mean just listen to some of those lyrics! Bless His Soul, Push Me Away. Heck, even the dancy Things I Do For You! The lyrics are about being used! And it's actually shocking that he felt that way even at such a young age. But he was not wrong for feeling that way - unfortunately life proved him right about people using and abusing him for money or whatever benefits they are expecting from him.

People all over the world are the same everywhere I go
I give in to this, I give in to that
Every day it bothers me so

Am I in a bad situation
People taking me to the exteme
Am I being used
I just need a clue
I don't know which way to go

So I took my problems to a doctor
So he could check it out, he don't know
Took it to a palm reader so she could
Read my hand, she don't know
Five minutes later I started to understand
I started screaming, shouting, acting mad
No one could help me but myself
But I gave everything I had

It's things I do for you
In return do the same for me
It's things I do for you

Always wanting something for nothing
Especially what they don't deserve
Reaching in my pocket
I just got to stop it
Even though they got a lot of nerve

Am I in a bad situation
People taking me to the extreme
They don't use rejection
So I need protection
To keep my equity

So I took my problems to a doctor
So he could check it out, he don't know
Took it to a palm reader so she could
Read my hand, she don't know
Five minutes later I started to understand
I started screaming, shouting, acting mad
No one could help me but myself
But I gave everything I had

It's things I do for you
It's things I do for you

Another dark song:

I would add D.S. and Money to the above mentioned songs.

Shout is another dark song. And lyrically speaking, Jam as well.

"I ask my neighbour for a favour she says later, what has come of all the people, have we lost love of what it's about"

"I have to find my peace cuz no-one seems to let me be, false prophets cry of doom what are the possibilities?"

Or Xscape:

"When I go, this problem world won't bother me no more"

"Everywhere I turn, no matter where I look, the systems in control, it's all ran by the book, I've got to get away so I can free my mind"

"I tried to share my life with someone I could love, but games and money is all she ever thought of, how could that be my fault when she gambled and lost, I'm tired of silly games"

There are so many....

Possibly Morphine for me. Can't get too much darker than a real life addiction.

Morphine
Little Susie
Be Not Always

Emotionally painful for me to listen to these (his delivery, the subjects)

I was honestly hoping an angrier, sadder and darker record than HIStory after 2005, weren't you? If he wrote those kind of songs in the lasts years, I hope they can see the light.

Morphine

Little Susie

Is It Scary

Money

Blood on The Dance floor

Stranger in Moscow - such loneliness and sadness. - strong emotions

Little Susie. Morphine and Privacy are just violent. Little Susie is dark and sinister.

"Before I put it in, close your eyes and count to ten Don't cry, I won't convert you. Theres no need to dismay, close your eyes and drift away"

Game, set and match

What about Threatened? Michael assumed the monster role one more time with that one.

"Threatened"

[ROD SERLING INTRO]
Tonight’s story is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction
A monster had arrived in the village
The major ingredient of any recipe for fear is the unknown
And this person or thing is soon to be met
He knows every thought, he can feel every emotion
Oh yes, I did forget something didn’t I? I forgot to introduce you to the monster.

You’re fearing me, ‘cause you know I’m a beast
Watching you when you sleep, when you’re in bed
I’m underneath
You’re trapped in halls, and my face is the walls
I’m the floor when you fall, and when you scream it’s ‘cause of me
I’m the living dead, the dark thoughts in your head
I heard just what you said
That’s why you’ve got to be threatened by me

[CHORUS]
You should be watching me, you should feel threatened
While you sleep, while you creep, you should be threatened
Every time your lady speaks she speaks of me, threatened
Half of me you’ll never be, so you should feel threatened by me

You think you’re by yourself, but it’s my touch you felt
I’m not a ghost from Hell, but I’ve got a spell on you
Your worst nightmare, it's me, I'm everywhere
In one blink I’ll disappear, and then I’ll come back to haunt you
I’m telling you, when you lie under a tomb
I’m the one watching you
That’s why you got to be threatened by me

[CHORUS]

[ROD SERLING VERSE]
The unknown monster is about to embark
From a far corner, out of the dark
A nightmare, that’s the case
Never Neverland, that’s the place
This particular monster can read minds
Be in two places at the same time
This is judgement night, execution, slaughter
The devil, ghosts, this monster is torture
You can be sure of one thing, that’s fate
A human presence that you feel is strange
A monster that you can see disappear
A monster, the worst thing to fear.

[CHORUS x 3]

[ROD SERLING OUTRO]
What you have just witnessed could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare.
It isn’t. It’s the beginning.

To this day, if I'm listening to MJ on shuffle while trying to go to sleep and Little Susie comes on, I have to turn it off because it creeps me out (even though I love the song.) Just the instrumentals alone are so dramatic and sad. I just can't go to sleep to the creepy music box and humming child. Nope. Noooope.

I just can't go to sleep to the creepy music box and humming child. Nope. Noooope.

LOL!!! Well, children and music boxes can sound pretty creepy which is probably why they're used in so many horror movies.

Threatened is pretty dark, I like how it sounded during rehearsals for This Is It, they made it sound even darker :D

I like the fact that MJ wasn't a sugary pop artist, he was someone who liked to do things differently rather than stick to a stereotype, he did what a lot of people are afraid to do: be an individual.

Back