Opportunity to choose Mike's 13 #1 singles

Doggone

Proud Member
As you know Michael has 13 number one singles on his name as a solo artist and 4 extra with the Jackson 5.

Michael's 13 number one singles were as followed:

1972: "Ben" (1 week)
1979: "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" (1 week)
1980: "Rock with You" (4 weeks)
1983: "Billie Jean" (7 weeks)
1983: "Beat It" (3 weeks)
1983: "Say Say Say" (Paul McCartney featuring Michael Jackson) (6 weeks)
1987: "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" (featuring Siedah Garrett) (1 week)
1987: "Bad" (2 weeks)
1987: "The Way You Make Me Feel" (1 week)
1988: "Man in the Mirror" (2 weeks)
1988: "Dirty Diana" (1 week)
1991: "Black or White" (7 weeks)
1995: "You Are Not Alone" (1 week)

But.... What if you had the opportunity to choose Mike's 13 number one singles? What would it be? You can pick any songs, but these songs should be released as a single in the States.

Mine would be as followed:

- Will You Be There
- Who Is It
- Black or White
- Remember The Time
- They Don't Care About Us
- Wanna Be Startin' Something
- LNFSG w/ Justin Timberlake
- In The Closet
- Scream
- Man In The Mirror
- TWYMMF
- Billie Jean

Of course every single released by the King should be #1. Especially the ones that are underrated in the States.

What would your list be if you had the chance to pick Michael's 13 #1 singles?

Last edited:
I'll have to come back to this one - this is an interesting thread!

I attempted it, was up to around 20 tracks. I'll have to plan it out better, I had around 5 from Dangerous & 4 from Invincible before I realise I'd totally forgotten about HIStory!! How did I do that!! It's all Matty & Tony's fault! But I would like to include Unbreakable, Threatened, You Rock My Wold & either Butterflies or Whatever Happens! 1track from OTW, 2 from Thriller if its lucky & 2 from Bad.

Who Is It no doubt.
Also - Will You Be There - such wonderul song - and it meant a lot to MJ.

Can you maybe provide a list of the singles MJ released in the US?

I'll try to provide a list with songs that are released in the US. I'm on my way to school right now so I'll do it tonight!

^ Good one Zakk!

I don't go with the 13 #1 Hit's either!

MJ had way more #1 hits. Why should a US #1 count more than a UK #1 or a german #1 hit?

I created a list a long time ago, with MJ's #1 hit's in the 5 biggest music markets of the world (for good measure), which are the USA, Japan, UK, Germany & France.

MJ had 20 number one hits in the major markets as a solo artist & 5 with the J5/Jacksons.
Here is my list.

Solo (20):

Ben
One Day In Your Life
Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
Rock With You
Billie Jean
Beat It
Thriller
Say Say Say (Duet with P.McC)
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Bad
The Way You Make Me Feel
Man In The Mirror
Dirty Diana
Black Or White
Heal The World
You Are Not Alone
Earth Song
They Don't Care About Us
Blood On The Dancefloor
You Rock My World

With the Jackson5/Jacksons (5):

I Want You Back
ABC
The Love You Save
I'll Be There
Show You the Way to Go

As for the topic of the thread, I'd definitely choose:
Who Is It
Tabloid Junkie

Last edited:
^ Good one Zakk!

MJ had way more #1 hits. Why should a US number one count more than a UK number one or a german number one hit?

I once created a list, with MJ's number one hit's in the 5 biggest music markets of the world (for good measure), which are the USA, Japan, UK, Germany & France.

MJ had 20 number one hits in the major markets as a solo artist & 4 with the J5. Here is the list

Solo (20):

Ben
One Day In Your Life
Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
Rock With You
Billie Jean
Beat It
Thriller
Say Say Say (Duet with P.McC)
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Bad
The Way You Make Me Feel
Man In The Mirror
Dirty Diana
Black Or White
Heal The World
You Are Not Alone
Earth Song
They Don't Care About Us
Blood On The Dancefloor
You Rock My World

With the Jackson5 (4):

I Want You Back
ABC
The Love You Save
I'll Be There

You forgot UK #1 hit Show You the Way to Go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_You_the_Way_to_Go

Also he had #1 single as part of USA for Africa, as singer and songwriter.

But I would like to include Unbreakable, Threatened, You Rock My Wold & either Butterflies or Whatever Happens!

Read the rules of the thread. "You can pick any songs, but these songs should be released as a single in the States."

Who Is It
Billie Jean
Beat It
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Man In The Mirror
Dirty Diana
Smooth Criminal
Remember The Time
In The Closet
Will You Be There
Scream
They Don't Care About Us
Earth Song
Stranger in Moscow (not sure if it was released in the US though)
Blood On The Dance Floor
Butterflies

LOL, that's 17... :p

My list:

1. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
2. Rock with You
3. Billie Jean
4. Beat It
5. The Way You Make Me Feel
6. Smooth Criminal
7. Black or White
8. Will You Be There
9. Scream
10. Stranger in Moscow
11. Blood on the Dance Floor
12. You Rock My World
13. Butterflies

I chose 2 songs per studio album + 1 song from BOTDF so that he have #1 hit on every album and that way each album would be equally appreciated by the media. Also it would make his career peak longer.

Also he had #1 single as part of USA for Africa, as singer and songwriter.

Thank You Onir, for 'Show You The Way To Go'. I gladly included it.

I was on the fence of including WATW back when i created the list & after thinking about it again, i'm still on the fence in this regard.
Though MJ's input is huge on that song, i wouldn't necessarily list it in his list of solo #1's.

I also omitted 'Somebody's Watching Me' (#1 in France) because of too less input by MJ. Though MJ played definitely a huge role why the song was #1.

IMO his singing on both those tracks is more that of a "featured artist" nature.

Thank You Onir, for 'Show You The Way To Go'. I gladly included it.

I was on the fence of including WATW back when i created the list & after thinking about it again, i'm still on the fence in this regard.
Though MJ's input is huge on that song, i wouldn't necessarily list it in his list of solo #1's.

I also omitted 'Somebody's Watching Me' (#1 in France) because of too less input by MJ. Though MJ played definitely a huge role why the song was #1.

IMO his singing on both those tracks is more that of a "featured artist" nature.

He is featured artist on Somebody's Watching Me. I count WATW as MJ #1 hit, because it is his song (he wrote it), he didn't just sang on it like LaToya or Randy Jackson for example.

As you know Michael has 13 number one singles on his name as a solo artist and 4 extra with the Jackson 5.

Michael's 13 number one singles were as followed:

But.... What if you had the opportunity to choose Mike's 13 number one singles? What would it be? You can pick any songs, but these songs should be released as a single in the States.

Mine would be as followed:

- Will You Be There
- Who Is It
- Black or White
- Remember The Time
- Wanna Be Startin' Something
- LNFSG w/ Justin Timberlake
- In The Closet
- Scream
- Man In The Mirror
- TWYMMF
- Billie Jean

Of course every single released by the King should be #1. Especially the ones that are underrated in the States.

What would your list be if you had the chance to pick Michael's 13 #1 singles?

Wow that's a hard task. Have to think about it. Your list is good minus LNFSG with JT. Although it turned out to be a ok song, I don't consider it a real duet or song for that matter.

^ Good one Zakk!

MJ had way more #1 hits. Why should a US #1 count more than a UK #1 or a german #1 hit?

As for the topic of the thread, I'd definitely choose:
Who Is It
Tabloid Junkie

The United States has the most important music industry in the world, that's why I only decided to keep it with American #1s. :eek:ldsmile:

And as far as I know Tabloid Junkie was not released as a single. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :flowers:

Isn't this thread really 'name your favourite 13 MJ songs'?!

Anyways, if I could choose one song I wish had made it to #1, it's 'Will You Be There'. Not only because it is a beautiful, stunning record that only Michael Jackson could make, but because it is different to every other record that has ever hit Number One. And like Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, it would always be remembered because of that.

Isn't this thread really 'name your favourite 13 MJ songs'?!

No, 13 songs (out of songs released as singles in US) that you would like to be MJ's 13 #1 singles instead of his real US #1 hits.

Back