I always felt this song should have been the debut single for the History Album

Bringing Brighter Days

Proud Member
I loved this song too, especially the way it built up for the ending

this would have been a #1 hit record in the states if Michael would have made the self titled track the debut single

very inspirational :D

Yikes. 3 threads in one day for random thoughts.

Anyhow, this would not have been a good debut single (unless he wanted people to not buy the album).
Definitely not a #1 hit in the U.S. Even if it was tightened up and shortened.
It's a nice song, but terrible lead single.

Probably in the bottom third of quality on the album.

I think he deifinitely released the best tracks on History. I only Smile would have got it's release.

By the way, it's good to get the song title in the threads that you wish to discuss, makes it a bit easier to keep up & know which threads we want to take part in :)

Undoubtedly one of his all time best songs but I think Scream was the perfect choice for lead single.

I think the first four singles were all wise choices and worked brilliantly in showcasing the different sides to the album. I personally felt that SIM wasn't exactly single material and would've liked to have seen History released as a single in its original form with an epic music video to accompany it.

Do you enjoy breaking my heart?

Yes. I dream of the day when I'll crush it in person.

HIStory in order (probably)

Earth Song
They Don't Care About Us
Little Susie
Smile
Stranger In Moscow
2 Bad
Scream
Come Together
Tabloid Junkie
Childhood
Money
History
You Are Not Alone
This Time Around
D.S

Yes. I dream of the day when I'll crush it in person.

HIStory in order (probably)

Earth Song
They Don't Care About Us
Little Susie
Smile
Stranger In Moscow
2 Bad
Scream
Come Together
Tabloid Junkie
Childhood
Money
History
You Are Not Alone
This Time Around
D.S

Tony Tony Tony....

Come Together before History and Tabloid Junkie? I mean, really... c'mon? Are you having me on??

Tony Tony Tony....

Come Together before History and Tabloid Junkie? I mean, really... c'mon? Are you having me on??

Yes but you need to be less emotive about it.

Forget you first heard it 7 years earlier.
Forget it was a B side to RTT
Forget it's a cover version

Imagine it was the first time you heard it , with no pre-judgement. It's a fantastic cover of a great song (admittedly I probably placed the ranking on the full version). But as a piece of music it probably is better than TJ & definitely History which never quite decides what it wants to do for me.

Parts of History are great, then just as you get it into it it stop for another sound bite or part of the American National anthem.

No, Come Together is filler. I don't even rate The Beatles version (and I love The Beatles). History and Tabloid Junkie urinate all over Come Together. It cocks its hind leg and takes a piss right over it.

HIStory is the most inspirational song MJ has ever done for me. He spits out sense, and sings what you need to hear when you need to go that extra distance.

No, Come Together is filler. I don't even rate The Beatles version (and I love The Beatles). History and Tabloid Junkie urinate all over Come Together. It cocks its hind leg and takes a piss right over it.

Have you ever thought about writing for NME?

I love HIStory, but feel the right choices were made for the initial singles run. It was quite good tying in HIStory (Tony Moran's HIStory Lesson) with Ghosts as double a-side because it promoted the HIStory album, BOTDF (HIStory in the Mix) album, Ghosts film (boxset) & the European tour. I'm even quite fond of the Tony Moran remix because of the happy memories.

My favoutries to least listened to. I do like Come Together, but it would have worked much better in a sort of musical movie in say, the late 80's or as a b-side in say, the early 90's. Oh my, what am I saying? It was.....

Earth Song
They Don't Care About Us
Stranger In Moscow
Scream
Tabloid Junkie
History
You Are Not Alone (Apart from the video, I don't know why this song is so loathed by a lot of fans?)
Money
2 Bad
This Time Around
D.S
Little Susie
Childhood
Smile
Come Together

Okay, here's how I would rate them:

Earth Song
TDCAU
History
Little Susie
Scream
Tabloid Junkie
Smile
Stranger In Moscow
Childhood
YANA
Money
D.S.
2 Bad
This Time Around
Come Together

^^ We all seem to agree on the brilliance of TDCAU and ES at least.

Last edited:
Tony Tony Tony....

Yeah. I agree with him, Come Together was tight and it was a good track. Personally though I think This Time Around could have been a single.

Well damn...

I think Scream was the best first single.

It's a fascinating tapestry of sound, but far too expansive to appeal to the pop charts and radio.

Back